The future of hunting maybe?

Ask these Illinois guys how the whole 'work with them' is going

IDNR makes no changes for the 2014/15 DEER SEASON.... UNBELIEVABLE!!!!
IDNR made no changes for the 2014/15 Deer Season after being hit hard by EHD for 2 years.. The Whitetail Deer Alliance attempted to help DNR, but all efforts were for nothing.. I believe the DNR Director Marc Miller is going to go down in history for destroying what was one of the best Deer herds in the country to one of the worst! You can now see outfitters who once had 140-150" minimum scrambling to stay afloat and dropping their minimums to 120-130 inches. Spoke to "Pete Switzer", past President of Illinois Taxidermy Association, and he is in disbelief..., his once "Whitetail Deer" only taxidermy shop (due to volume of bucks being brought in.), has now had to take on "African Game" to help his lost revenue.
I can't believe people are going to pay the extremely costly permit price's in order to hunt in Illinois (especially Central-Illinois)... Take a look at Pike, nationally recognized for it's deer, now in dire-straits! You can call any taxidermy shop in the county and ask them about how they've been affected and you will hear how dismal it has been and you can do that in each county west to east (centrally). I just can't believe after all the complaints by business' and hunters that the DNR has just sat on their hands. I am thanking the god, that I had not bought property a few years back for deer hunting purposes, because I can see wooded acre prices dropping like a rock quickly.. I can say I personally am buying 1 archery permit (via-mail), 1 permit for firearm and don't know if I will be buying a muzzleloader permit, that's half of the permits I normally buy.

This is off another website. I know a few people that live there and a few from up here that used to make the drive every year.  Needless to say. After last year there will be no trips in the near future.

What state will be next? 

I know 5 guys that lease land In Pike. and while they say numbers seemed down, they all bagged 140+ bucks this past  season.

I wonder if some of what is hurting the Taxidermists is the trend I see with so may new shops popping up all over. Sure seems to be more than just 10 years ago.

I agree, and might add, the financial times warrant people ability to spend $ on mounts.

Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) is the most important infectious viral disease among white-tailed deer. The landmark outbreak of the virus was identified and described in New Jersey in 1955. It occurs every year in many southeastern states and has been recently reported throughout the mid-Atlantic. In states where the disease has been detected, it has not had a significant negative impact on the long-term health of the deer herd. It tends to infect only localized pockets of animals within a geographic area.
In October 2007, the first case of EHD in New York was confirmed by the National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa and the Southeast Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study Group. Several deer carcasses from parts of Albany and Rensselaer Counties were submitted to the DEC Wildlife Pathology Unit for examination and tissue analysis. In November, Niagara County was added to the confirmed list

Edited by Larry

I know 5 guys that lease land In Pike. and while they say numbers seemed down, they all bagged 140+ bucks this past  season.

I wonder if some of what is hurting the Taxidermists is the trend I see with so may new shops popping up all over. Sure seems to be more than just 10 years ago.

Great respond. Pike county...5 guys...Lease land...140in bucks(Got Pics)  Hmmm where have we had this conversation before?  

Hunting>Future> $  Rich mans sport!  Thanks!

Shouldn't you be happy? Apparently you are a plethora of conflicting emotions and thoughts.

I would think you'd be happy this is happening what with your for-profit operation.

Maybe i am?   In reality with EHD and CWD in the wild in that state and NOT,NEVER,EVER behind wire, the writing could already be on the wall but as is being shown..Its the states DNR that is the leading cause of their demise. Shocker There!

Great respond. Pike county...5 guys...Lease land...140in bucks(Got Pics) Hmmm where have we had this conversation before?

Hunting>Future> $ Rich mans sport! Thanks!

I can get the pics. I have seen them. They lease 2 weeks for 1500 a man 200 acres. That is 750 a week at prime land with a very good chance for a very good buck. Seems like a good deal to me. And they are actually hunting. Not just shooting.

Great respond. Pike county...5 guys...Lease land...140in bucks(Got Pics)  Hmmm where have we had this conversation before?  

Hunting>Future> $  Rich mans sport!  Thanks!

It's only a rich man's sport if you want to pay big bucks to lease land or hire a guide to put a trophy on your wall.  There is a ton of public land throughout the US where anyone can go hunt and kill a decent animal for hardly any money (basically just the tag cost).  It doesn't have to be a rich mans sport depending on how you define a trophy.  

If it ever comes down to killing livestock and calling it hunting, I'll opt to shoot either beef cattle or a hog.......more meat and better eating.

Funny how you always like to bring up high fence hunting. Nothing on my post said/had anything to do with high fence hunting.

You know what that mean's right?

If it ever comes down to killing livestock and calling it hunting, I'll opt to shoot either beef cattle or a hog.......more meat and better eating.

I agree. Venison is good, but I'd rather eat filet mignon or porterhouse steaks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) is the most important infectious viral disease among white-tailed deer. The landmark outbreak of the virus was identified and described in New Jersey in 1955. It occurs every year in many southeastern states and has been recently reported throughout the mid-Atlantic. In states where the disease has been detected, it has not had a significant negative impact on the long-term health of the deer herd. It tends to infect only localized pockets of animals within a geographic area.

In October 2007, the first case of EHD in New York was confirmed by the National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa and the Southeast Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study Group. Several deer carcasses from parts of Albany and Rensselaer Counties were submitted to the DEC Wildlife Pathology Unit for examination and tissue analysis. In November, Niagara County was added to the confirmed list

So true. No long term health effect because most are DOA. Try telling these guy in ill.Ind,Oh and many others that are finding 30 plus animals dead in creeks and ponds. The year the little fellas made it into Ny there was a massive kill off in many states. Not so much in Ny but many took a hard hit!

Funny how you always like to bring up high fence hunting. Nothing on my post said/had anything to do with high fence hunting.

You know what that mean's right?

I never mentioned high fenced hunting at all, I mentioned livestock...which as far as I'm concerned is anything being raised to be killed............and I'm gonna have to go back and check, because I don't remember ever "always" bringing up high fenced hunting.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

That everyone on here already knows it is at the root of every one of your posts?

Not even close.I like to talk about guns. I like to talk about the QDMA. I like to sit out on the deck at night and look over my farm. I like our weekly trap shoot and archery shoot, now with added room for the crossbow shooters. I am even part of 3 different businesses so my roots are spread wide and far.

I never mentioned high fenced hunting at all, I mentioned livestock...which as far as I'm concerned is anything being raised to be killed............and I'm gonna have to go back and check, because I don't remember ever "always" bringing up high fenced hunting.

So how did you get livestock out of a post about how thin the numbers of the deer are in another state?  Your always part is bringing up livestock and high fence on many threads that were not about either. 

Lets not forget..Where people choose to spend their time is their choice, Just as its their choice what guns they believe there is a need for.  Everybody has that choice!

Not even close.I like to talk about guns. I like to talk about the QDMA. I like to sit out on the deck at night and look over my farm. I like our weekly trap shoot and archery shoot, now with added room for the crossbow shooters. I am even part of 3 different businesses so my roots are spread wide and far.

Break out the measuring stick, folks.

It's a contest.

I'll see you the day they slap the quarantine sign on your place. I will be out front with the megaphone, a chair and a cooler of beer.

HaHa.. Jealousy will get you no where. Go visit one near you. Im sure there's plenty.

Just cant understand how you brought the OP of deer in another state all the way to the farm. Funny how you seem to do that alot.

Strange Really!