Crossbow Turkey Hunting!!!

TheFieldArcher

has the DEC regulations been finalized making the crossbow legal the remainder of this license year? I don't think so.............probably won't be written into the reg.'s until the next licensing year, so probably nobody.

Thought it was now part of "bow"???

Edited by TheFieldArcher

it still needs to be fine tuned and written into the hunting regulations and ECL......my guess is not till 2014/2015 season, so maybe this fall.

I guess everyone interested has something to look forward to next turkey season... thought I would post a video showing how much fun crossbow hunting for turkeys is...

Edited by TheFieldArcher

Not legal yet as rules and regs not set... lbs pull, distance axle to axle,bolt length,act are still to be set. Will be by fall season. Hope to try it next spring. I have never been spotted drawing on a deer but have been by many turkeys.. I'm 1-15 against turkeys with bow.. hope that a crossbow makes a difference.

this site and our government and the lobbyist do a poor job sometimes with communication. While the budget gave the DEC the authority to do so, there is still nothing in the rule books. It is sill just as illegal to hunt with one as it was a few weeks ago. I actually would be surprised if they update it for turkey. My bet is the next reg book that comes out in the fall will have it.

Thanks. If I read that right they're not requiring bowhunter safety? Just general hunting?

I would also like to know if you need a bowhunter course or just the regular course (witch i already have, don't think you can retake the course) but i don't know, so it may seem you might have to take the proper training course to hunt with a crossbow really hope it's included in the bow course because i can only imagine the cost of the training course.

If you ask me if crossbow is seen as a gun and is included in the muzzelloader permit then in my opinion you shouldn't have to take a course or training to hunt with a crossbow, besides the hunters ed.

this site and our government and the lobbyist do a poor job sometimes with communication. While the budget gave the DEC the authority to do so, there is still nothing in the rule books. It is sill just as illegal to hunt with one as it was a few weeks ago. I actually would be surprised if they update it for turkey. My bet is the next reg book that comes out in the fall will have it.

Nobody has put out any misinformation on anything yet, at least that Ive seen. The fact is, crossbows are now a legal hunting implement in this state. Thats all so far, seasons and general regulations just havent been set yet. Its all been put out there pretty clearly, its just that some people dont understand the exact situation right now, for various reasons. How is that the fault of the state or this site? Hell, baiting is, and has been illegal in NY for quite some time, and some people do it anyway, some of those people dont know that its illegal to do any time of the year. Is it the state's fault?

If you do its fun to do from a blind. If you have never shot a Turk with an arrow you might be surprised to see where the kill/vitals are on a Turk. If you shoot for the chest they will take off never to be found.

General rule of thumb for a quick kill on Turk standing broadside is aim strait up the drumstick and about 2 inchs below the top of the bird, yea it may sound weird but I have put arrows into numerous Turks to watch them run off never finding them or my expensive arrow.  

Turks don't leave blood trails and are tough birds with arrow pass thrus not always a guarantee.

The idea is you want to put that broadhead thru the spine or as close to the spine as possible which helps severe the communication link from their little brains to their wings and disrupting their ability to fly off. 

The vitals as traditionally thought of by deer hunters being heart and lungs doesn't work for Turks, you put an arrow right thru the heart and lungs and the fowl will fly for a distance long enough for you never to find em.

Hit em high watch em die, Hit em low watch em go.....

Nobody has put out any misinformation on anything yet, at least that Ive seen. The fact is, crossbows are now a legal hunting implement in this state. Thats all so far, seasons and general regulations just havent been set yet. Its all been put out there pretty clearly, its just that some people dont understand the exact situation right now, for various reasons. How is that the fault of the state or this site? Hell, baiting is, and has been illegal in NY for quite some time, and some people do it anyway, some of those people dont know that its illegal to do any time of the year. Is it the state's fault?

It is a legal hunting implement and there is no season that allows it to be used? Still not even sure what level of training or education or licenses is needed to use one? I guess that's not confusing at all huh? I think I could deal with you if you stopped using the word FACT, in every sentence.

If the bowhunter course isn't required, then the whole thing has really proven what a lot of use have thought all along.

Edited by Belo

It is a legal hunting implement and there is no season that allows it to be used? Still not even sure what level of training or education or licenses is needed to use one? I guess that's not confusing at all huh? I think I could deal with you if you stopped using the word FACT, in every sentence.

If the bowhunter course isn't required, then the whole thing has really proven what a lot of use have thought all along.

Its only confusing if you either cant read properly, or dont read all of the information in the releases. How is anything I said untrue? Crossbows are now legal hunting implememnts according to the state of NY. Thats a FACT. Dont like it? Too bad.

Just because NY will most likely add the crossbow curriculum to the regular safety course, means nothing as far as what kind of a weapon it is. Keep on grasping at straws though. Your side lost. Deal with it.

Crymeariver_574dbde16a1cceb9f01d2b838e44

amazing how archery equipment doesn't require a bowhunter course though isn't it? Fill me in with some facts... Where and when can I hunt with my legal hunting implement the crossbow, today April 16th? And if our great conservation dept. does such a good job explaining it, why are members of the site asking all these questions?

Have you sent your thank you note in yet?

Edited by Belo

I'm not a big fan of shooting Turkey with any arrow regardless of it's shot from a compound, recurve or crossbow....in my opinion there's too much of a margin for error, and the one's I have seen killed with a bow pretty much destroyed a lot of the meat..........give me a shotgun every time when it comes to shooting a Turkey.

If you are destroying meat its usually only going to be for the yotes that find your bird. The meat on a wild Turk is the breast and if your arrow goes thru the breast your not killing or finding the bird.

Once you learn the kill zone on a Wild Turkey you will drop them every time with an arrow.

If you are destroying meat its usually only going to be for the yotes that find your bird. The meat on a wild Turk is the breast and if your arrow goes thru the breast your not killing or finding the bird.

Once you learn the kill zone on a Wild Turkey you will drop them every time with an arrow.

still a tiny kill area....I'll pass

post-31-0-59811200-1397694317_thumb.png

Shoot right along that red line and you have a dead bird. The yellow circle is the meat, shoot there and you have no bird.

As far as shooting Turkeys with a shotgun and not destroying meat is questionable because in my experience stray pellets have a way of ending up in the breast and even one or 2 number 6 pellets in the breast meat are nasty because first off its lead and theypost-31-0-59811200-1397694317_thumb.png pull feathers right into the meat.

Don't hesitate to hunt Turks with a bow or xbow its tons of fun, very quiet(doesn't disrupt the flock and if you hit where I said you will nail em every time especially with the accuracy an xbow provides. 

• Like 1