Muzzle loader cost?

burmjohn

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cva are good and affordable.  I have two of those. Can't complain, They shoot good. Keeping them clean is the most important part.  You do not want to keep any sign of powder residue in them when they are stored.  The powder pits the inside of the barrel.  Everytime you finish hunting with it you have to clean it. Especially after shooting it.

Like the above post said,CVA is good,the cva wolf can be had for under 200 and the optima around 250.TC just came out with the low budget Impact.Good first gun.

If you use blackhorn 209 you won't be cleaning as much as if you use T7 or prydex.

Look at the Traditions Persuit. I just got my father into one last season and I think it was around 250 bucks. the thing he loved about it is while on stand he can cock the hammer and use the cross trigger safety that is the same as the remington 1100 he has used for years....must be that old dog new tricks thing...I extended my season by two weeks because I hunt north and south. Even during shotgun season I carry my muzzleloader.

Gander had a T/C that was beutiful I didn't want to let it go. It had a nice nicon scope on it. $750.00. I use right now a cva wolf. $250.00 from basspro camo with a nickle barrel and scope. Killed 3 deer so far with it.

Nice... $750 is way out of my league, especially since I don't even know how to load a muzzleloader... Plus the season I would use it is so short, possibility only one weekend.  I came across the Optima @ The Sportsmans Guide for 329... Seems like a good deal.  - > http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=552684

Two years ago I bought my cva wolf. It was the first muzzle loader I ever had. The evening before opening day of the season, My buddy was at work and I was home trying to figure out how the gun had to be loaded because I had to sight it in before it got dark out or I couldnt go hunting in the mourning. So he talked me through it over the phone. I got it sighted in and went hunting the next mourning and with in an hour i got my first deer with a muzzle loader. I guess what im saying is dont be intimidated its easier than it sounds.

Anyone know the laws regarding purchasing a Muzzleloader online and shipping ??

i dont think it requires FFL .. So Can it be shipped directly to your home ???

I live in nyc.. im pretty sure they have theyre own laws about this..  ..................or maybe bloomy will have someone draft one up ll by the end if this post... but as fara as the rest of the state ???

connectiut valley arms Vs.. Thompson.. .

What are your thoughts...

I think i remember reading somewhere that CVA was closing its doors and being bought out by another company... wasnt american company.. cant remember too clearly .. anyone know if this ?

That optima that the sportmans guide has is last years model,still a VERY good gun.Cabelas has is in there bargain cave for I think 300??

The newer model has a few more bells and whistles,but still a great gun.All the stores are trying to clean out the older versions...

CVA vs TC,I would take CVA,nothing against TC.But CVA has come a long way over the years.Not to mention I like there customer service better.From what I am told TC has issues with there QLA system in some of there guns.They are alot $$$  more too. If your going to spend alot of money there are other ML's out there.

If your spending 200bucks for a weekend gun get the CVA or if you can find a New England firearms huntsman or sidekick.Natchez still may have the discontinued Remington Genisis,another very good gun  in your price range.

Just my two cents.

They are simple to use,but you must read all safety and instruction books.If you use pellets you can NOT go over the 150gr charge.Thats 3 T7 or Pryodex pellets.If you use the T7 magnums thats only 2 pellets to get your 150gr  MAX charge.They are a blast to use,but if not used properly they are a pipe bomb waiting to explode.

another thing to remember is to set the bullet all the way on the charge,you don't want any space inbetween the charge and the bullet.I mark my ram rod so I know how far I have to go  down to seat the bullet everytime.

Steve

In some ML's any thing over 110gr is a waste because it doesn't burn properly. I only use 90gr of BP, not pellets but actuall Black Powder. I shoot a 385gr conical and have found it to be very effective out to about 100 yards, with open sights. I would look at one of them ML kits that they sell to get you started. They sell them with the basics to get you in, that way you can decide if you like it and upgrade later on. I carry my ML through out the season, it can be more like archery then gun hunting unless of course you go with the more modern inlines. MLing is lots of fun and I'm sure you will love it once you dive in.

I remember the days when muzzleloaders were cheap and simple. There were also fewer choices. My caplock Renegade was a cheap investment for me almost thirty years ago and it has served me well over the years. And back when I got it I considered it "modern" by muzzleloader standards.

http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php/topic,203.0.html

The inlines and new powders have taken things to a different level today, and somehow seem to have gravitated away from what made these "primitive" weapons. But I welcome change and there is nothing wrong with them, they just elevate the game. Every now and then I see some good deals on used ML's. There's an awful lot of "used once or twice" ML's out there too. 

Food for thought and not sure if they are still made but my buddy bought a muzzleloading barrel for either his Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870. worked great ans the frame was the same as he was used to. As far as TC...I own one. GREAT shooter. THey are pricey but I saved an extra year for it. I wanted the ability to add the rifle barrels and pistol barrels. There is one manufacturer making rifle barrels for their frames but the TC has more calibers available. There are several manufacturers making barrels for them. .17 cal to .416  if I recall correctly. I have added a .243 and a .300 win mag to my muzzleloader barrel

Food for thought and not sure if they are still made but my buddy bought a muzzleloading barrel for either his Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870. worked great ans the frame was the same as he was used to. ...

It was a few years ago but I once looked into the conversion barrel for the 500, as it would also fit the Mav88. If memory serves - you could not remove the breech plug.

CVA is the way to go as far as price

the 50 cal wolf 209 magnum is a real nice rifle with the sweet brake action for easy cleaning.

i can shoot around 10 to 12 shots before i notice the accuracy change

with 100 grains of triple 7 50/50 pellets and a 195 grain hollow point powerbelt

you can pick one up for around $100 to $150

it has steel rifle sights with green & red fiber & is drilled & taped

i have dropped deer at 175 yards with a bsa 12x50 scope

hope this helps

when you decide to buy post what you get.

• 2 weeks later...

connectiut valley arms Vs.. Thompson.. .

What are your thoughts...

I think i remember reading somewhere that CVA was closing its doors and being bought out by another company... wasnt american company.. cant remember too clearly .. anyone know if this ?

CVA has not been cva for a very long time. hey have been BPI  black powder industries.  They still make a good quality gun at a good price. I have owned an optima elite with the muzzleloader and 270 barrel. I would still own it if my nephew wasnt hell bent on having it.  For ease of loading I would go with the cva over the T/C.  However I would suggest getting the model with the bergara barrel.  They are a very good barrel. I bought one for my encore and love it.  In fact I sold my t/c muzzleloader barrel and have just the bergara barrel for a muzzleloader barrel.  If you could find one since they no longer make them, a used H&R huntsman or sidekick are awesome shooting and handling guns.  There are a couple aftermarket upgrades such as a better ramrod and a breech plug that does not require the orange primer carriers.  They are very accurate and sold for about 170 dollars new.  But if you wat new, I would say the best starter gun that will stay permanent will be the optima.    Just keep in mind that just because they make convenient ways to use them ie pellets etc, they may not shoot well in your gun.  As a long time muzzleloader, I would suggest a can of loose powder ie pyrodex or even black powder and work up a good load.  With loose powder, you can work up a load by 5 grain increments. Pellets are very limited and much more expensive per shot.  In premeasured hunting loads, I can reload with loose powder as fast as anyone with pellets, and I would put money on it.  Also the first bullet that jumps off the shelf may not be the best for it either.  It takes time to get the optimal accuracy.  No offense, but when I see posts that say I sighted in my gun just before dark and hunted with it the next day scare me.  Especially by a person who had no clue how to even use the gun and was out doing so alone.  Talk about a disaster waiting to happen.  Get some good instruction and take your time and make it work well for you. My first muzzleloader some 33 years ago, I spent a summer getting it to shoot. When I was done 100 yards with open sites was inch groups. Not pie plate groups.  Would anyone of you take a bow out shoot it a few times one evening and be ready to hunt with it? Dont get caught up in all the marketing ploys of 250 yard kills. Keep your range to 100 yards, in fact I perfer 75.  Just my opinion, but it is based on 33 years of experience, training and success.  Good luck, and if you have any questions or concerns shoot me a message and that means anyone

Whats a decent first timer muzzle loader and whats the cost? I'd love to do it.  My uncle has one, however he got it for his 60th birthday from his best friend, so I have no idea what it cost.

Ah, I wish the H&R Sidecick was still in production for ya.

3 years ago I got one for 150...But it needed Some upgrades...Total was about 200.

And then the Remington Genesis was a good buy for my 2 buddies..Now that is out of production I believe...

I think your best bet is a CVA, although I have no expierence with them. They have had problems in the past, but I hear they make a quality product now.

Do yourself one favor though..If you have no problem spending money for good powder, go with Black Horn 209.

It is expensive, but it will make your shooting much easier. There is really no swabbing involved, and it is accurate. If you are going to shoot a lot, then you might want to go with something cheaper.

200.00 in upgrades,what did you do to it..

I got a MU plug from Nick and a Hubbards Rod from Ben,I love mine.Actually mine is the Heritage but same as the side kick.

Natchez still sells the Remingington Genisis,I was thinking about getting one.But after my wife saw me just get a White ML I will have to wait a bit for another one.....