On the board!!!!!

Grizz1219

What a great morning I had today!!!! The opening day of Ma turkey season and I started it off with a bang, literally… LOL.  Sally, Sandy and I had done some scouting on a farm we have in Ware over the weekend and things were not “awesome” by any standard… We heard very few birds and the ones we heard were Jakes, not fully mature Tom’s. Sandy went back later on and saw much more promising sign, 1 mature Tom out in the field and several younger Tom’s with a hen.  With work being busy I made the tough call to pass up OT for one day to head out hunting (Tough choice.. LOL). Sandy being the gracious hunting partner she is said to me Sunday night “Seeing I know you won’t shoot a Jake (young Tom), you are only hunting 1 morning this week, why don’t you go after that mature Tom and I’ll go hunt another area because I will shoot a Jake”… So this morning we headed our separate ways, I found a nice spot down the ridge from what I was guessing was a roosting spot.. At first light as gobblers started greeting the morning I realized I had set up within 50 yards of the two Jakes we had heard/seen the previous morning.. Thinking there is no way they didn’t know I was there, I went about trying to work the mature Tom. Well, best laid plans I guess, both Jakes flew down right in front of me, gobbling, strutting, etc.. LOL The mature Tom is now gobbling off to my right and then I hear him fly off… Watch him pitch out into the field roughly 200-250 yards away… I’m thinking “well, should have gone to work… LOL”… So with him way out in the field the Jakes finally get bored with my decoy and move off to my left out of sight… The Long beard sees this and here he comes… Strutting and walking.. never gobbled.. Kept a low profile because we found the two jakes were “bullies” and could beat up the mature Tom as a team but not by themselves.. Well as he got within 100 yards the Jakes noticed him and started heading right for him.. I thought for sure it was over.. But as they made their way to him he didn’t turn to run, he angled towards me. So to slow the Jakes progress towards him I fired up the old slate call and they did exactly as I wanted… Stopped running.. started gobbling and strutting… As I kept them from advancing.. I looked up to see the long beard now topping the hill coming in to my decoy 40 yards out… So I stopped calling and tried to get ready for the shot… Now the Jakes were back on the path to run him off, so he is now angling away from my decoy trying to avoid the Jakes… At 44 yards he stopped to look back and my Ultimag bowled him over with a 2 ¼ oz load of #5’s from Winchester.. He weighed in at 20 pounds, 10” beard and as a 2 year old, has ¾” spurs…

post-743-0-88683700-1398709419_thumb.jpg

post-743-0-09361200-1398709432_thumb.jpg

post-743-0-54401400-1398709445_thumb.jpg

post-743-0-54925100-1398709458_thumb.jpg

• Like 2