I think I'm in trouble...

There was some weird mounts like that in my grandfathers farm from when I was a kid, he passed away when I was very young and I dont recall what ever became of them I just know they disappeared.  I do remember however someone came out to look at them and said not to handle them due to some pretty nasty chemicals that was used in taxidermy practices way back when. 

If it was in fact mounted over 50 years ago, it would most likely be discernible due to different taxidermy techniques/materials that were used back then.

I would be upfront with your local ECO. They're not there to strip people of family heirlooms and they'd probably just tell you to put it back on your mantle. 

If it was in fact mounted over 50 years ago, it would most likely be discernible due to different taxidermy techniques/materials that were used back then.

I would be upfront with your local ECO. They're not there to strip people of family heirlooms and they'd probably just tell you to put it back on your mantle. 

Agree with you on techniques used 60-70 years ago to mount wildlife would probably clear me of what I now have. This Owl mount has to be from the mid '40's, after my father returned from WWII. For all I know, someone in the family had it before my father did. I have looked for any markings indicating the person who did the work, but could find none.

I would just like to donate to the local DEC office to add to their collection already on the walls without penalty.

it's probably no different than finding an old unregistered handgun in a deceased family members property, you'd be surprised how often this happens, and there is no penalty for turning one in.......I wouldn't think twice about turning it over.

Hey , put it in a box without a return address, drop it off at the post office and send it to me. lol    .  Last year while hunting, the squirrels were driving me nuts. A hawk flew in to my area of the woods and sat in a tree not far from me, and it became quite peaceful. Maybe a stuffed owl would be just the ticket.

Had I mentioned this before and caught your response above, I would have driven the owl to your doorstep. Our son graduated from SUNY Potsdam in 2012. Too late. LOL

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have known a retired D.E.C. boss for a few years, so I worked up the nerve to ask him what to do with the horned owl. He felt that I was in no real trouble, and placed a phone call to a local DEC office. He spoke to a couple of officers, explaining my situation on how I came about to possessing the owl, and told me that situations occur like this from time to time and that the D.E.C. would be happy to take the owl off my hands. The retired D.E.C. boss will take the owl off my hands and take to the DEC main office in Buffalo for display.

If anyone is ever in the Buffalo office, maybe you can look for the owl and remember my concerns on how to handle my situation. Thanks for your feedback on my situation.

• Like 1

Well if DEC didn't know before, they might know now haha. Good thing this is a "hypothetical" post 

Nomad,

Was thinking the same thing !

I am beyond certain that they probably monitor the site and perhaps a few of them are "members" looking for posts, pics etc that need follow up

I have known a retired D.E.C. boss for a few years, so I worked up the nerve to ask him what to do with the horned owl. He felt that I was in no real trouble, and placed a phone call to a local DEC office. He spoke to a couple of officers, explaining my situation on how I came about to possessing the owl, and told me that situations occur like this from time to time and that the D.E.C. would be happy to take the owl off my hands. The retired D.E.C. boss will take the owl off my hands and take to the DEC main office in Buffalo for display.

If anyone is ever in the Buffalo office, maybe you can look for the owl and remember my concerns on how to handle my situation. Thanks for your feedback on my situation.

sounds like a good resolution. sure would have looked cool in the man cave though :)