Anyone have a snowmobile?

Not anymore but I used to and my brother and I rode different trails around parts of the state. Trail quality depends largely on what time of day and week you go, the popular trails get the snot beat out of them all day long and turn bad after a short amount of time. So if you go mid week early in the morning it can in fact be great. Compared to other states IMO the grooming is lacking through out the state, usually it is left up to local clubs and sometimes they don't have the man power or funds to care for the trails. States like Maine and Minnesota are miles ahead of NY but they also get loads more snow.

Some thing to watch out for if you do buy one and go is the other people that you share the trails with, alot of them are ok but as with any hobbie there are bad apples..ie. drunks.

Another thing to remember is it ain't a cheap past time, gas, food, more gas..it adds up fast and anything you get while on the trail will cost more.

It is fun though and at times I do miss it, some day I may get another one for riding around home..I am near trails and lots of woods. Luckily my father inlaw just bought a extra sled so who ever can go with him and my son, he has a little 120 and loves riding.

I actually sold my sled to buy my rifle, I get more use out of a rifle and it doesn't require gas to operate ;)

I have one but dont get much time in the saddle, whenever I'm up there I wind up going small game hunting. The times i have ridden its a blast, I have miles and miles of pipelines to ride by me and the snow gets deep real fast. I have a 1995 Polaris XCR 600 two stroke with triple carbs, hit the throttle and you get whip lash. Like anything you need to be real carefull and know where you are riding, there can be many dangerous things lurking under the snow that can cause an accident....i.e stumps, barbwire etc...Good rule of thumb is never ride on a trail that you have not been on when the ground was bare......Lots of fun when you have a bunch of people to ride with and go riding at night. I maybe looking to sell, so let me know if anyone is interested.

I would want to get $1,300.00, it has a new pull start, brand new drive belt (never used) and the track is studded. In good condition considering its a 1995. Some minor tear in seat which is expected, mechanically sound and very fast. Was started this summer and fired right up and holds idle very well. Its currently all covered up so I'm sure you can get many pictures and videos on the web.

I bought a brand new Bolens back in the early 70's. Used the heck out of it for everything from trail riding to wood hauling. Eventually, we stopped getting snow for a few consecutive years, and I started letting the kids use the snowmobile. It took them a season to completely kill it and I finally got rid of it for parts. Silly me .... I thought the thing was built like a tank and was indestructible. They figured out a way to turn it into trash.

In our neck of the woods, there doesn't seem to ever be enough snow to get your moneys worth out of them, so I never bought a replacement machine. Instead I have bought a few ATVs which are useful year around, and have saved me tons in snow-plowing money. So for me, the ATV seems to be a much more practical item than a snowmobile.

I know there are tons of people who either live in northern NY or take their machines there to ride, that would disagree with me (for good reason).

Doc

I always had sleds when I was a kid and up till my senior year of high school. I sold the 3 I had at the time and have never replaced them. Ive thought about it, talked about it and never end up buying one. We have public trails that go right by our new place, I might consider getting one again, but not this year. Id rather buy a quad or side by side.

Yes, i have a 98 zr 500, i love being out on the trails.  It is great riding out in the hills in wyoming county.  Alleghany is also a popular spot to ride for me.  Snowmobiling and hunting rank as my top hobbies.  There is nothing like that two stroke power band pull on a hard pack trail!

Yes, i have a 98 zr 500, i love being out on the trails.  It is great riding out in the hills in wyoming county.  Alleghany is also a popular spot to ride for me.  Snowmobiling and hunting rank as my top hobbies.  There is nothing like that two stroke power band pull on a hard pack trail!

Got that right when the three carbs kick in on my two stroke, the powerband is unreal. Nothing like the sound and throttle response of a two stroke.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Ahhh snowmobiles. I was hardcore up till a few years ago. I have 2 yamahas, bored, polished, reed kits, clutch kits ripsaw tracks, performance exhaust, Ohlens shock upgrades, you name it I did it lol. Raced them, big air contests, oh the good old days when the economy was great. I lost a close friend and his son to a bad car accident we rode everywhere together, spent many hours on the trails. Just not the same without him. I will say this hope you got cash if you are into riding alot. I get 9 miles to the gallon on one of my sleds, you ride for a full day at 12 gallon a fill up at 5 bucks on the trail plus injector oil over 40 bucks a gallon. 6 hours of riding your going to easily put 240 miles on a sled. Thats about $135 in fuel $40 bucks in oil. $175 bucks just to ride for 6 hours, add in the maintenance and food, fuel if your transporting them. Now throw X2 in there for both sleds OUCH. Sure is a blast though.

Edited by wdswtr

Ooo belive me im a young guy but riding is another one of those things i have done my hole life i like and know how to ride anything with a motor.And yes snowmobiling is the most exspensive motor to beat on but its a ton of fun when theres not much else to be doing.I rather pay for gas in the snowmobile that gas to keep my heat running all day lol!!

4 strokes and snowmobiles is an oximoron in my book lol. 2 stroke is where its at, the smell, the throttle response and that ripping motor sound, 4 strokes are a heck of alot more money to buy as well. Nothing like the sound of a piped up triple 2 stroke.

States like Maine and Minnesota are miles ahead of NY but they also get loads more snow.

I got to disagree with ya on this. The only place that i know of in the east or mid-west that can rival the snow fall total for the tug hill or Chautauqua county area is the UP of Michigan. I know nothing about Maine but my brother in-law who lives in the mid west would only go to two places to ride NY or the UP. I cant find any decent snowfall total maps nation wide but then again the majority of them don't break 100 inches :lol: .

I used to have two Ski doos. A formula SLS 500 and a MXZ 670 (piped, clutched, reeds, studded, the works). In the wide open the MXZ was something to be feared but get in the woods and i would take the SLS any day. That thing was a animal out of the hole.

But i sold all my toys (except hunting stuff) after i got married. I shudder to think what it would cost now with the price of gas.