Astorino picks a running ,mate.

You know, that's a pretty good point. If the guy is so un-electable how on earth did he win elections in Westchester. The guy must have something. I just wish that he could get more exposure among all of the NYS voting population. What will get him big (positive) headlines? It should be starting now. I don't want another Republican candidate that two years after the election everybody is saying, "What was the name of that guy that ran against Cuomo in 2014?". We've had enough of those guys. His campaign committee has to get busy and innovative.

I personally think Cuomo's popularity is over-blown and based on apathy. We should be able to beat a guy like him. He has made a lot more enemies than just gun owners. We've got to get those people energized as well. We may find ourselves alongside of some people that we normally would not want to associate with, but if we can use them, then we had better do so.

Well yeah, that all sounds real good, but there still is that nagging question, "How?"

You have to understand not everybody cares about guns. My wife's grandma doesn't understand the safe act and could careless. In the same convo I mentioned how Cuomo would legalize pot. She was floored and went off saying he's crazy and a nut case. She usually votes left.

Also I've talked to teachers. Bring up how common core is pushed by Cuomo but what about the kid the doesn't learn the same. Super standardized testing and this stuff leaves him or her in the dust. Teachers get floored because it doesn't hive them as many options to help a kid like that. Learning differently than others doesn't always come with a title either.

How? Know talking points for different folk. If each gun person voted and had a voice to swing just one from the other side the numbers are there. Cuomo would be slaughtered. Everyone makes his backing blown up bigger than it really is. The lost published Siena polls still showing him slightly ahead are absolute BS. Other polls don't. Even that poll shows job approval rating near 40%. We beat his father and he hated upstate much less. It's most definitely possible it's just we're in a position where today it takes work to earn freedom. It's no longer a right. Don't forget the others either They all can fall.

Astorino is very electable right now.

I have a number of friends who consider themselves 'conservative' Democrats, and many who are somewhat 'liberal' Republicans. Astorino seems to appeal to both of those groups from the conversations I've had.

NYS is never going to elect a hard-core conservative governor, but it seems that the hard-core progressive Cuomo is losing his luster for many people in the state. That makes Astorino a very viable option.

If Cuomo wasn't a little worried about that viability he'd be spouting off with a negative campaign by now. As stated in a previous post, he's going to keep his mouth shut for as long as possible because it's in his best interest.

Spread the word folks, because this is very doable. 5 1/2 months and counting, though. I think we need to get behind this guy as a unified group and make it happen. It won't solve all of our problems, but just imagine the impact to the hard-core progressive liberals across the country when they fail to keep control of the NYS governorship. Brings a smile to my face. Remove a few key legislators in the process and I'll be dancing in the street.

now is our chance, but as just mentioned if you think we can do it with just gun owners, we are mistaken.  There are so many issues people do not like him on. It is in our best interest to associate ourselves with all who want him gone.  It does not mean we need to be best friends with them or even support their cause. It means we unite with one purpose GET RID OF CUOMO.  I do not care it is a a vote that was for gun rights against legalizing pot or fracking or take your pick a vote against him is a vote against him.  Excluding them to try to make the choices simpler is at best foolish and at worst self defeating.  This will take many elections to get turned around.  Him being gone in November is the big message right now.  If we get into our issue is more important well guess what.  Every group with an issue thinks the exact same thing. For instance last spring after the safe act was passed and he was saying how much better services will be for the mentally ill, he decided to close our local psych center.  Well my group was right there in numbers assisting them to fight it. And we won.  The center is staying open.  Also my other thought the most defeating thing we can do is sit on the net type our messages and think we are being effective.  Shut the computer off turn off the smart phone and actually go out and talk to people face to face.  I know it is a scary thought, but it will be ok.  Then you get more of a commitment.  yes facebook and all other social media is good, but not that good.  If you think you have done your job by posting a meme and it has worked, you are way short of the mark. I am giving a speech in 2 wees at a rally in Massena NY.  That will be exactly my take home message.  OH and the other message will be CUMOS GOTTA GO

I guess you missed the sentence that said I am getting this directly from a friend of mine who is an assemblyman?  What you choose to believe is up to you.

After all the backlash the first time, and with no national tragedy to sway public opinion, do you really think the Republicans in the Senate that voted for the Safe Act the first time around would repeat their actions?  I don't.  I think it would be political suicide for them.  Once, after Sandy, they might be able to find forgiveness.  Twice, and they are losing their base demographic.

Yes I do and here is why. if nothing happens in November to change things in Albany, where is the suicide?  They are still there and have two more years to have people forget.  If there was a chance there was going to be backlash, it will be in November. 

The biggest problem is you aren't really going to get much on him on economic issues.  He's been fairly conservative for a Democrat.  He cut spending, played hardball with the unions, and was pro-corporate subsidies.  If anything, he has weakened his own base more than any Republican could do by not being "Democratic" enough.

Oh yeah, and he has a $33+ million dollar war chest.

So what are you choosing on?

Gun Control?

Women's rights? 

LGBT rights?

Marijuana legality?

Nationwide polls have the Republicans on the losing side of 3 of those 4 issues (and rightly so, in my humble opinion).

The only way Astorino wins is if he give centralists and and moderate Democrats a reason to vote for him without scaring them away on abortion/gay rights.  If he panders to the religious right or the Tea Party, he's done.

EDIT:

PS - Astorino also wants there to be terrible, terrible weather on Nov 4th in NYC.

EDIT 2:

Bubba, how many of those Republican incumbent Senators are even being challenged in a primary?  

Edited by Sogaard
  • Like 1

So you contradict yourself with saying with all the backlash they will fall into place and not vote for more gun laws as it is political suicide.  Then in your very next post you say there is no backlash as no one is challenging them.  Ok so what way is it and what will stop them from voting for more as you say there is no back lash. Which side do you want to porrtay  Just asking

So you contradict yourself with saying with all the backlash they will fall into place and not vote for more gun laws as it is political suicide.  Then in your very next post you say there is no backlash as no one is challenging them.  Ok so what way is it and what will stop them from voting for more as you say there is no back lash. Which side do you want to porrtay  Just asking

I didn't contradict myself at all.  In the first post I said I didn't think Republican Senators would be foolish enough to vote for a stricter version of the SAFE Act during their next term.  I said voting against your constituency once, in the wake of a national tragedy, is one thing.  Voting against them twice would be political suicide.

In my second post I asked how many were even being challenged in September.  I did not "say" anything.  It was a legitimate question because I don't keep track of "upstate" Republican politics.  It would, however, surprise me if many of them were being challenged.

My question to you is, if indeed they aren't even being challenged in a Primary race in September, how can you possibly be preaching about the November election?  Unless, of course, the change you spoke about included voting for their Democratic challenger.

• Like 1

As the message is and has been and will continue to be. Cuomos gotta go. And again if there is no pressure on the senators and assembly what will stop them from voting in more legislation. None. So get rid of the guy who will sign it. Essentially send Cuomo packing it is done

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Historically, every state that has pushed any type of semi-auto rifle ban, has eventually gone further with other gun, magazine, or ammo bans. Anyone who thinks NY State is different is ignorant.

These types of laws are always "first steps". The final step is usually on the center of your back as they haul you off to jail.

• Like 1

Historically, every state that has pushed any type of semi-auto rifle ban, has eventually gone further with other gun, magazine, or ammo bans. Anyone who thinks NY State is different is ignorant.

These types of laws are always "first steps". The final step is usually on the center of your back as they haul you off to jail.

Which states are you referring to?

We're all arguing from essentially the same side here, folks.

Bubba nailed it a couple of posts ago, Cuomo has to go.

It won't fix everything, but it's a hell of a good start.

I just came back from the local transfer station, what we used to call 'the dump' before the EPA got involved. Things were a little slow so I had time to chat with the two elderly gents who run the place. It took less than 5 minutes, but now they know the name Rob Astorino. They even asked that I write it down for them so they wouldn't forget. Someone pulled in behind me so I had to leave, but as I did they they were talking excitedly about 'the new candidate'.

They come in contact with a lot of people on a weekly basis and chat with everybody if they have the time, and I have no doubt that some of those chats involve politics.

I feel like I accomplished something today. Besides getting my shop cleaned out, that is.

• Like 2

Met Moss, we understand him as a rights guy. Establishment doesn't like people like this and try to reel them in to shut them down. They have successfully done this our way.  People from Moss's area will know later if this is what will happen to him or will he maintain his stance.

Astorino is very electable right now.

I have a number of friends who consider themselves 'conservative' Democrats, and many who are somewhat 'liberal' Republicans. Astorino seems to appeal to both of those groups from the conversations I've had.

NYS is never going to elect a hard-core conservative governor, but it seems that the hard-core progressive Cuomo is losing his luster for many people in the state. That makes Astorino a very viable option.

If Cuomo wasn't a little worried about that viability he'd be spouting off with a negative campaign by now. As stated in a previous post, he's going to keep his mouth shut for as long as possible because it's in his best interest.

Spread the word folks, because this is very doable. 5 1/2 months and counting, though. I think we need to get behind this guy as a unified group and make it happen. It won't solve all of our problems, but just imagine the impact to the hard-core progressive liberals across the country when they fail to keep control of the NYS governorship. Brings a smile to my face. Remove a few key legislators in the process and I'll be dancing in the street.

Never mind...

Edited by mike rossi

Yes I do and here is why. if nothing happens in November to change things in Albany, where is the suicide?  They are still there and have two more years to have people forget.  If there was a chance there was going to be backlash, it will be in November

You sure have got that right! This election is the "last stand" of the gun owners in NYS. Really! Never have the gun owners been more motivated and focused than they are now to take their revenge on those that voted for the SAFE Act. If we fail to have substantial impact, the anti-gun machine will be further emboldened to finish us off. It is up to us to place the idea of "political suicide" in the minds of the anti-gun legislators. We can do it if we can maintain the focus. And Lord help us if we don't.

• Like 2

And that will only work if gun owners continue to keep Leftist Progressive anti-gun elected officials out of legislative control for the foreseeable future.

One election will punish those who supported removing gun rights. But as soon as the anti's can marshal their forces to regain power, they will be picking up their gun rights attack exactly where they left off.

Protecting your gun rights isn't done by punishing those who attacked them. It's too late to recoup the loss at that point. You can only protect your gun rights by NEVER allowing the legislature to gain an anti-gun majority in the first place. That takes perseverance, determination and stamina to fight the LONG and UNENDING fight. It's a mindset that can never be forgotten. Texans and Arizonans have it. Does it exist in NY?

Personally, though I would love to see it, but because of apathetic casual gun owners and the far left blue state attitude in most of NY, I see little chance of this happening in this state. Especially when we allow an incident like Sandy Hook or Columbine to be blamed on law abiding gun owners, rather than unknown side effects of prescribed pharmaceuticals and legislation that removed confinement of known mental cases. Or when we don't scream about a shooting by Maj. Nidal Hassan at Fort Hood being classified as "workplace violence", rather than terrorism by a Muslim, so it can be considered a criminal offense by one person, rather than a jihadist attack on the military.

There is a huge political conspiracy on the part of anti-gun Leftists in government to destroy the 2nd Amendment and control every facet of gun ownership by Americans, to the point of being so onerous, nobody will want to own any gun. And if you think that's the ravings of a nut job, you're a bloody idiot.

This is a fight that is NEVER going to end. Do any of you have the fortitude to keep fighting for the rest of your lives? From what I've seen on these forums, the answer is an obvious, no.

MrVJP, I will keep fighting, at the state and national level. Even if it's only to maintain what we still have. I don't believe I'm alone on this here in NY, and I know for sure that I'm not alone nationally.

Your attitude on this reminds me of a guy I used to race Karts against. His theory was that if he wasn't leading after the first lap he should just head back to the pit area because it wasn't worth the struggle trying to catch up. 'Ya know what? He's one of the few guys that never, ever won a race.

I truly hope that you find your Utopia, but I have a sense that your lack of commitment and perseverance here in NY, and your overall negative attitude regarding this issue in general, won't be all that welcome in TX or AZ either.

And that will only work if gun owners continue to keep Leftist Progressive anti-gun elected officials out of legislative control for the foreseeable future.

One election will punish those who supported removing gun rights. But as soon as the anti's can marshal their forces to regain power, they will be picking up their gun rights attack exactly where they left off.

Protecting your gun rights isn't done by punishing those who attacked them. It's too late to recoup the loss at that point. You can only protect your gun rights by NEVER allowing the legislature to gain an anti-gun majority in the first place. That takes perseverance, determination and stamina to fight the LONG and UNENDING fight. It's a mindset that can never be forgotten. Texans and Arizonans have it. Does it exist in NY?

Personally, though I would love to see it, but because of apathetic casual gun owners and the far left blue state attitude in most of NY, I see little chance of this happening in this state. Especially when we allow an incident like Sandy Hook or Columbine to be blamed on law abiding gun owners, rather than unknown side effects of prescribed pharmaceuticals and legislation that removed confinement of known mental cases. Or when we don't scream about a shooting by Maj. Nidal Hassan at Fort Hood being classified as "workplace violence", rather than terrorism by a Muslim, so it can be considered a criminal offense by one person, rather than a jihadist attack on the military.

There is a huge political conspiracy on the part of anti-gun Leftists in government to destroy the 2nd Amendment and control every facet of gun ownership by Americans, to the point of being so onerous, nobody will want to own any gun. And if you think that's the ravings of a nut job, you're a bloody idiot.

This is a fight that is NEVER going to end. Do any of you have the fortitude to keep fighting for the rest of your lives? From what I've seen on these forums, the answer is an obvious, no.

There is nothing a politician covets more than a vote. For years gun control was kept under control because candidates feared the wrath of the gun lobby. It's time to put that fear back in them. This election right after the SAFE Act can send one powerful focused message off into future elections. That message will be either "It is certain death to piss-off gun owners", or "The gun lobby is dead full-steam ahead with the gun control". We have people that are working to put the fear of God back into these guys, and we have others (here) that are working diligently to do Cuomo's work for him in discouraging voters from focusing on what has to be done to send the pro gun-rights message. Your reply leaves no doubt where you stand.