Ford F-150 or Dodge 1500

adkbuck

I am planning on purchasing a new or used half-ton pick-up.  I have bad luck with GM Chevy's in the past and the 2005 Toyota Tundra I have has undercarriage corrosion issues.  My top choices are the Ford F-150 or the Dodge 1500.  I had good luck with a  Dodge truck in the past (put 240k miles on it)  and I know that Ford has a good reputation in their F-150.  Any advice would be welcome.  Many thanks.

Edited by adkbuck

I've had good luck with my last 2 Dodge trucks, picking up a "slightly used" one today as a matter of fact. I was toying with the idea of a Ford, but the Dodge is a few thousand bucks cheaper, and has less gadgets to break down. You should do well with either one.

Bought a F 150 4X4 in 2010 and still love it. Great running tuck, 5.4 liter with 6 speed transmission and tow package. I get about 17 mpg running around town and close to 20 on trips.

Mileage drops down to about 12 mpg when towing my 30' 5th wheel.

I bought a 14 ram and love it. My last 4 new trucks were fords and I loved them but the ram outdid the f150 bigtime. First tank of gas I got 20.2 mpg on a trip to pa. My 5.0 liter ford only got 19.5. Ram gets better mileage , looks better. I never thought I would buy a ram. Thought they were junk. Then I test drove one and it was a no brainer. Gmc or chevy doesn't come close to the ram .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a 14 ram and love it. My last 4 new trucks were fords and I loved them but the ram outdid the f150 bigtime. First tank of gas I got 20.2 mpg on a trip to pa. My 5.0 liter ford only got 19.5. Ram gets better mileage , looks better. I never thought I would buy a ram. Thought they were junk. Then I test drove one and it was a no brainer. Gmc or chevy doesn't come close to the ram .

Not a huge difference in mileage there. Not to mention my 2011 Ecoboost would run 21-23 mpg on flat highways. But the ecoboosts are known to have a wife variance in MPGs, but at the same time they have some kick ass power that will out pull and out perform the Ram and Chevy any day of the week. I'm a big fan of dodge and ford so I'm not bashing the ram as they are awesome trucks but engine to engine no one compares to the ecoboosts capabilities.

If I were to buy a brand new truck again I think it would still be a Ford. Interiors are comfy and hold up to a lot of abuse. Dodge is a close runner up. Drive both and see which one you like best!

In the process of buying a truck too. Had two F150's in the past, a Silverado, and my current Ranger all purchased new. I also bought a Dodge Ram used that still sits in the driveway where it ha been for 4 years now as I get revenge and watch it rust to the ground where it belongs, after the money and frustration it cost me. LOL  I can laugh about it now but still painful. 

All of my so called "American" trucks had transmission, engine, drivetrain, brake and other serious problems and service on them sucked at the dealerships..  My Ranger has had a bad transfer case problem since it's time on the showroom floor and the dealer was never able to figure it out and when they finally did said it was out of warranty. It is a 2006 and has 65k miles on it as I drive it very little.  

We also have had a new Camry (now 169K), Corolla (now 126K), and my sons Yaris (now 135k) all with ZERO issues!! Routine maintenance just like my other vehicles but never a problem or mechanical breakdown. Each still run and ride as they did when I bought them. I'm headed to Alaska this week to see if I'm going to be working and living there for a couple years. With the climate and  conditions there I can ill afford vehicle problems. I'll give each label a look again but logic and experience tells me to buy a Tundra. Before I go I may get my final revenge on the Ram out back by dragging it to the scrap yard with a new Tundra. lol  Sweet!!!!

Good luck with your purchase. 

Edited by New York Hillbilly

Guys, 

Thanks very much for your comments which are indeed helpful!!  New York Hillbilly, I had good luck with my 2005 Tundra as far as the engine and the drive train were concerned with the exception of a leaky rear differential.  At 9 years and 65k miles the rear differential housing or pumpkin developed a number of pinhole leaks due to corrosion.  Unfortunately Toyota made a poor decision and did not have a replaceable rear differential cover but the differential housing is part of the rear axle assembly.  They also used poor quality steel and there is now a recall out on the frame.  I'm taking mine in and will also inquire as to whether or not they have improved the design of the rear end and remedied the problem.  My fantastic experience with Dodge was with a Dodge Ram Charger which I purchased in '87 and ran for 16 years and 240k miles  without significant problems.  

So far I have heard generally good things from owners of Dodge 1500's and Ford F-150's, except for a few exhaust manifold problems on the Fords and some front end problems on Dodges. 

When I bought my 2012 f150 I test drove the 5.0 and the ecoboost. I didn't think much of the ecoboost performance wise compared to the 5.0. One of the big things for me was the sound while driving. 5.0 sounded like a truck should sound. Ecoboost was super quiet.

One other thing is with the turbo on the ecoboost, if that goes and the warranty is up , that will be over a thousand bucks to repair it.

It's just my 2cents but I would see the 5.0 being a better option on the ford.

If you wanted to go the diesel route then the dodge with the 6 cyl diesel is supposed to be awsome. Ram is the only 1/2 ton on the market to offer a diesel . You have a lot of options.

• Like 1

The dent-ability of the aluminum could be a concern but it's probably thicker than a soda can.........probably?!?!

The aluminum they are using is thicker then the steel they currently use. It certainly will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I believe Chevy will be following in the use of aluminum. If it works as well as Ford claims, Dodge won't be long in following too.

A higher up individual at Novellis told me that the use of aluminum on the trucks will increase gas mileage by 10-12 mpg with no loss of power. If this is true and it's durable, other truck companies won't be able to keep up using steel.

I may be wrong but I think a lot of body panels are already aluminum. The big thing ford is doing on the 2015 f150 is the frame. It's "military grade" aluminum frame.

I think the hood on my ram is aluminum and the hail storm we got a couple weeks ago produced zero dents

Havent owned a Dodge yet that didnt hit 300k miles or damn close to it before I replace them.  Only compliant I have about them is the fenders above the wheel wells seem to rust faster than any other vehicle.  Never owned a Ford and never will own a Chevy again.  I do a lot of towing also from a boat to a trailer hauling big hemlock logs and lumber.  Have had the 5.9 and the Hemi's and no tranny or motor problems with any of them.  

Havent owned a Dodge yet that didnt hit 300k miles or damn close to it before I replace them.  Only compliant I have about them is the fenders above the wheel wells seem to rust faster than any other vehicle.  Never owned a Ford and never will own a Chevy again.  I do a lot of towing also from a boat to a trailer hauling big hemlock logs and lumber.  Have had the 5.9 and the Hemi's and no tranny or motor problems with any of them.  

You've done very well with Dodge.  It will be interesting to see how the new aluminum f-150 works out.  I am a little worried that aluminum, even thick walled aluminum may not have the reparability and the crack resistance that the higher yield strength steel has.  The best aluminum alloy has now where near the fracture toughness that a good steel alloy has.   I also tow a good sized boat and I think that having a heavy tow vehicle is a good thing for towing stability.  Just a thought.  

Edited by adkbuck

I've been a Ram guy for a long time. Currently towing with a 2500 Quad Cab CTD. BUT...my situation recently changed, I don't tow as much any more as we keep the camper on the hunting property pretty much all the time now so I don't "need" the towing capabilities of the Cummins that much. So we went looking at 1500 series trucks. I only test road a few Rams and F150's...they all seemed pretty close in all categories(except the Ecoboost, towing numbers looked great). One thing you can't beat though is the size of the F150 cab when you get the Supercrew cab. Wow, that thing is cavernous in there..I couldn't believe the roominess. With a wife, 3 growing kids and a 120lb dog there was plenty of room for my crew.

Edited by Steve936