a few pics...

growalot

Thanks ...I added a few trees to the clover plot...the 4 apples I planted last year are doing great...save one fireblight issue...but I added 2 Paw Paw...which are leafing out....as well as the 4 chinese chestnuts in grow tubes..but then bought 2 Dunstun chestnuts...one had a chestnut already.....give it 5 years and they will have more than they can eat..that area is surounded by mature red oaks as well...Oh and I'm stringing wire above the fence and that will support the grapes I'm transplanting along the fence I installed last year....

• Like 2

They had them in Ithica...Horseheads...daughter lives in Big Flats..so she picked them up for me...Wal-Mart in Geneseo did not have them and well there was an issue..so manager called with an apology ...asked how to fix things...I said tell your regional buyer that you are in a high density hunting area and order them in for next year...We.'ll see...but the Realtree site had all NYS Wal-Mart's  that ordered listed on their web....regularly 29.98.....I got 2 6ft trees for 50.00 tax included.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Did some research on the Dunstan's - in a nutshell (haha) they are American Chestnut with spliced in Chinese Chestnut genes for blithe resistance. The native American Chestnut all but wiped out because of it. So now the research has gotten something like 90+/-% of the native qualities back retaining blithe resistance. I'd be interested in planting about 1/2 dozen despite the price except I'm in zone 4 and they say these trees are 5+. Good luck.

G-man and Grow - is it worth putting in 3-4 small ones or are they likely to expire before they produce significant mast?  I have one crabapple tree that lures lots of deer early season in the swamp in a small tillable plot area.  I figured a few of these near the crab apple along with the plot we planted might be a great draw.  This tillable ground is only 1/3 acre but is well protected and regularly visited.  Also, I read that they need cross pollination to produce from a different type - is that true?

Dunstans  being hybrids ...you'd be fine...like mentioned....grow tubes and fencing...Now I have several Chinese chestnuts here on the hill...weather did kill back the growth then I had deer take out a few...but the root stock is so. strong that this year those same trees are growing again and two are 4 ft. tall again....I am fencing them up this year with the added new Chinese in grow tubes I will have 8 of them and the 2 Dunstans  on the place.....I also just found 4 more persimmon growing like mad...two of my older ones are loaded with blossoms...all trees I was told wouldn't grow....wind shelter is key in winter...

Dunstan are 99% american. I have pure which succume to the blught, as well as Dunstan n Chinese. They produce nuts in 5 to 7 years. they do not frost out as they flower inJuly. Are non cyclical. The american nuts taste like sugared almonds raw ,and better roasted. The deer ,bear, squirrels, and other game will stand under them and wait for the nuts to fall (bears will climb and break limbs off to get them) . One must remember.one Of every four trees in the northeast was a chestnut. Acorns were rare and are bitter. Here are a few pics.post-899-0-22522000-1403726483_thumb.jpg a year old from a nut last fall.post-899-0-47324100-1403726547_thumb.jpgpure american from a nut 15 years old dying from blight but still producing.post-899-0-38236500-1403726622_thumb.jpgclose up of canker from blight killing tree by girdeling.post-899-0-17362500-1403726699_thumb.jpgclose up of flower stalks (will be white flowers in about.Two weeks).post-899-0-33885500-1403726800_thumb.jpgusually top 1/3 to half of tree produces nuts(previous photo is actually chinese as my Americans are to tall to get close ups.post-899-0-74029600-1403726912_thumb.jpgclose up bear claw damage from two years ago.(bark damage is how blight enters tree.

• Like 1

So yes planting well worth it , and it is also one of my best fall camera locations as nuts fall 1st week or two in november. they do not require cross polination but same species will do trees have to be within 200-500 ft of each other for sucessful polination

Edited by G-Man

Nice stuff grow...as usual pure four season dedication.

I've done a lot of work in cooperation with the American chestnut foundation and a few chestnut orchard/studies.

Planted thousands over 5 years on 2 separate 10 acre high fenced plantations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

Did some research on the Dunstan's - in a nutshell (haha) they are American Chestnut with spliced in Chinese Chestnut genes for blithe resistance. The native American Chestnut all but wiped out because of it. So now the research has gotten something like 90+/-% of the native qualities back retaining blithe resistance. I'd be interested in planting about 1/2 dozen despite the price except I'm in zone 4 and they say these trees are 5+. Good luck.

This is some of the work I was involved in...planting different generations of American/Chinese hybrids....gradually making it nearly all American with just chinese blight resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk