Absolutely fedd up!!!!

I have had just about every brand scope out there from B to including Z. I find Bushnell the best bang for the buck.

In your case I would have a gunsmith Lap the scope rings in first, mount it and bore sight it.If the scope rings are out of allighment as mine were on my screwed up 742 because of the mounting holes drilled and tapped wrong.You could ruin a good scope.It is not going to make it worst only better.

I think it would be absolutely ridiculous to put anymore money into this rifle attempting to make it a better shooter.  As others have said, these Remington's have never set the world on fire with accuracy so why spend more money?  At this point it would probably be cheaper just to sell this rifle as is, and then buy another used Remington semi-auto and take your chances with another one, if you really want one that bad.  Not like there's a shortage of them out there to buy used at a reasonable price.  

• Like 1

My dad has a 7600 30-06 that shoots submoa and I've for a 742 that shoots about 1.5 with most 150gr cheap stuff. Most common accuracy stuff ie seen with them is scope and mounting. Also barrel muzzle and rifling wear. Many used ones I've seen had the muzzle resting down into a truck floor over and over. No recessed crown so the rifling gets messed just a hair which makes big problems. Was is cut and crowned. You can rebarrel them. Hart does them I think.

I have one rifle that I inherited from an uncle that has a muzzle looking like someone put a file to it.  It's a bolt action, but he used to clean it with a cheap aluminum rod from the muzzle.  The gun can still shoot pretty close to 1 MOA on a bad day, so I'll never be convinced that a chewed up muzzle will always mean an inaccurate rifle.  How about muzzleloaders?  We slam and pound the slugs in thru the front and yet most are no worse for wear.

I remember talking to a good. locally known gunsmith, a while back. He told me that the  tops of the receivers, on a lot of the older Remington semi's (shot guns and rifles) were too thin to  give a solid, reliable platform for a scope. Even the ones that came factory drilled. He told me to never buy a used one.

I remember talking to a good. locally known gunsmith, a while back. He told me that the  tops of the receivers, on a lot of the older Remington semi's (shot guns and rifles) were too thin to  give a solid, reliable platform for a scope. Even the ones that came factory drilled. He told me to never buy a used one.

I have also heard to NEVER buy a used horse from an Amishman...<< big GRIN >>....

Thanks.  I just need a guy who wants to buy it at this point.  I'm tempted to put it up for sale and just be done with it all together.  Too many variables, I'd buy another lever action for hunting in the swamps.  

I think you killed any chance of selling it on here....

• Like 1

I had one real problem rifle, a tang safety Ruger M77 in 7x57.

I tried all kinds of things to get it to shoot, to no avail.

I finally sold it to a guy who did all of his hunting in the woods and didn't CARE that it shot patterns at 100 yards rather than groups. The first year he used it he killed a 10 point wallhanger !..LOL..

I have one rifle that I inherited from an uncle that has a muzzle looking like someone put a file to it. It's a bolt action, but he used to clean it with a cheap aluminum rod from the muzzle. The gun can still shoot pretty close to 1 MOA on a bad day, so I'll never be convinced that a chewed up muzzle will always mean an inaccurate rifle. How about muzzleloaders? We slam and pound the slugs in thru the front and yet most are no worse for wear.

My dad's 7600 that shoots subMOA is the same way but the point is the rifling isn't messed up so it still shoots well. You are entitled to think what you want. That said if a little piece of rock on the truck floor dings the rifling or over and over again you clean it from the muzzle and wear rifling to one side at the muzzle your accuracy will degrade. Aluminum against steel won't kill something for a while. Those habits can and do screw up a rifle though. Muzzle loaders rod tips are centered over a ball or bullet. Also when swabbing them they're covered with a patch. Contact is made but then again muzzleloaders aren't as accurate as rifles in general anyway. Take that all and think what you want.

My dad's 7600 that shoots subMOA is the same way but the point is the rifling isn't messed up so it still shoots well. You are entitled to think what you want. That said if a little piece of rock on the truck floor dings the rifling or over and over again you clean it from the muzzle and wear rifling to one side at the muzzle your accuracy will degrade. Aluminum against steel won't kill something for a while. Those habits can and do screw up a rifle though. Muzzle loaders rod tips are centered over a ball or bullet. Also when swabbing them they're covered with a patch. Contact is made but then again muzzleloaders aren't as accurate as rifles in general anyway. Take that all and think what you want.

My goodness you people are so sensitive!  In general, I would agree that it's best not to mess up a muzzle, but at the same time I don't think most accuracy problems are due to damage to the muzzle. Most of these rifles probably didn't shoot well to begin with, so people look for reasons as to why and may point the blame on a nick to the muzzle when the rifle probably just had a lousy barrel to begin with.  Lots of hunters don't baby their rifles, and many wear plenty of scars all over, yet the guns continue to put game down.  I highly doubt that the little loss of accuracy due to these scars will cause a good shot and hunter to not bring home his deer.  Just my .02 on this matter.

Haha not sensitive. Just throwing out my reasoning. Translations get lost in forums at times. I and others others I know have screwed up a couple of decent rifles that way before learning. 3" and bigger groups is usually something else like scope or mounting when talking the setup and not the person. Guns are pretty predictable. I've figured out all the little stuff adds up so why ignore it if it's not too much of a burden.

I have zero experience w/ the 7400, but from your info I'd be willing to bet that the chamber was cut off-center from the barrel. There's a good chance that the 3" groups you're getting with your handloads are the best the rifle has ever done.

A Cerro-safe casting of the chamber/throat would tell the tale. A new barrel might actually be something to consider. W/out the open sights, cost might be pretty reasonable as well.

It's easy to just buy a relatively accurate rifle today and that's what most people do, and what most people should do. But there's a huge amount of satisfaction in the tinkering that's required to make the most of what's on your bench at a particular moment. If it costs more time and money than the one that someone else has tinkered with, so be it. You've done the cosmetics, now make it rock. It'll be another one in your safe that won't ever have a for-sale sign on it.

FWIW, I usually get 'em to shoot before I doll 'em up.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

But there's a huge amount of satisfaction in the tinkering that's required to make the most of what's on your bench at a particular moment.

Agree with you philo.  Here is a grouping from a 270 Winchester Remington Model 7600 that grouped 3-inches out of the box and now prints .65 - 1.00 inch groups at 100 yards.  Spent time learning how to use a bullet comparator and a curved OAL gauge and adjusted cartridge seating depth for about a 15-20 mil bullet jump.  The result was a rifle that groups less than a MOA.  Typical target below.  I did the same thing with two other 7600's and they both group .75 to 1.3 inches down from about 3 inches.  One of the three 7600's had a bad trigger that also had to be addressed.  It did take a bit of work and each rifle had a slightly different ideal seating depth.   I realize many guys don't reload.  Some hand loaders would be reluctant to make the modest investment in a couple pieces of equipment (Bullet Comparator which allows you to measure from base of the round to the bullet ogive   and an OAL gage).  Satisfying when it all works out. 

I realize that it didn't matter to the bucks that were shot but it gave me more confidence knowing I was shooting a squared away weapon.

post-725-0-22405500-1406059627_thumb.jpg

Edited by adkbuck