180 gr. 30 cal boolits & deer

eagle rider

Dead is dead,guy I hunt with shoots 300 mag with Remington corlocts and it doesn't destroy the deer.It does more damage than my 308 or his 3006 but not bad enough for me never to hunt with a 300 mag on deer either.The most destructive gun I have seen on a white tail is a 12 gauge shooting hizut type long range hot rounds.Put a mean hole in em!!

The 180 grain .30 caliber bullets really shine for long range work.  They have a higher ballistic coefficient, so they retain speed better at long range, as well as energy.  They also drift less in a crosswind.  They will serve you well if you are hunting where your shots may be over 200 yards.

Nope....

But , 150 grain in my 300 is what I shoot and it has yet to leave the other side of the deer..

Wanna argue about it.. :spiteful:  lol

Nope...Use whatever works for you...

Some hunters prefer an exit hole...That's not saying that they are right and you are wrong. Probably you all have similar kill/recovery rates, assuming good shot placement. Shoot 'em in the ribs and they are not going far, regardless of what you shoot 'em with.

When I hear stories of deer being shot in the heart or lungs with any bullet and going hundreds of yards is when I start calling BS...

• Like 3

Yup……..whack em through the ribs and they're all done. I prefer A little bigger bullet diameter, than 243 but thats just me. I know two guys who use 223. They get bucks every year. No blood trails ….but bucks.,,,LOL!!

Nope....

But , 150 grain in my 300 is what I shoot and it has yet to leave the other side of the deer..

Wanna argue about it.. :spiteful:  lol

300 Savage?

What bullet do you shoot and what pert of the deer are you aiming at to not get an exit?  (or should I ask how many deer you have shot with a 150gr bullet?)

It's odd that my little old pea shooter .243 sends 80gr bullets stem to stern on a doe and your 300 can't penetrate both sides?

300 Savage?

What bullet do you shoot and what pert of the deer are you aiming at to not get an exit?  (or should I ask how many deer you have shot with a 150gr bullet?)

It's odd that my little old pea shooter .243 sends 80gr bullets stem to stern on a doe and your 300 can't penetrate both sides?

300 win mag, lung heart area(kill zone), at least a dozen. Close to every one fell in their tracks. 5-250 yds away. 90%+ of the time I can find the bullet jacket lodged close to the hide on the other side.

I am sure if I shot a heavier ,better constructed bullet I could shoot from end to end, but what would be the point? Not a shot I would dream of taking.

Seems to me like a waste of time to shoot a magnum with an extra 1000 #s of energy , just to blast out the other side with that same extra 1000 #s of energy. I like to leave it all in the deer.

I was just kidding about arguing about it..lol   Everybody has an opinion. If one wants a pass through so they feel that there will be  a better blood trail, so be it.

I have just not found the need. I always poke fun at some of my buddies who shoot heavier bullets. They have awesome bloodtrails.   I , so far, have never needed one.

Again... do ya wanna fight about it? ha ha :prankster:

300 win mag, lung heart area(kill zone), at least a dozen. Close to every one fell in their tracks. 5-250 yds away. 90%+ of the time I can find the bullet jacket lodged close to the hide on the other side.

I am sure if I shot a heavier ,better constructed bullet I could shoot from end to end, but what would be the point? Not a shot I would dream of taking.

Seems to me like a waste of time to shoot a magnum with an extra 1000 #s of energy , just to blast out the other side with that same extra 1000 #s of energy. I like to leave it all in the deer.

I was just kidding about arguing about it..lol   Everybody has an opinion. If one wants a pass through so they feel that there will be  a better blood trail, so be it.

I have just not found the need. I always poke fun at some of my buddies who shoot heavier bullets. They have awesome bloodtrails.   I , so far, have never needed one.

Again... do ya wanna fight about it? ha ha :prankster:

What fun are you, being so nice and all?? :biggrin:

Glad that 150gr slug is working so well for you out of the 300WM.  This year I'm going to be using a 300WSM with 165gr Nosler BT slugs.  Good Lord they better poke two holes.................................. :O

:biggrin:

• Like 1

I shoot a 300 wsm 150 grain bolistic tips. Never have had a pass threw on a single deer. The entrance hole is the size of a pea and the deer have never gone more that 20yards. 7 deer taking with this combo and I wouldn't change a thing.

• Like 1

I shoot a 300 wsm 150 grain bolistic tips. Never have had a pass threw on a single deer. The entrance hole is the size of a pea and the deer have never gone more that 20yards. 7 deer taking with this combo and I wouldn't change a thing.

What powder are you using?

What fun are you, being so nice and all?? :biggrin:

Glad that 150gr slug is working so well for you out of the 300WM. This year I'm going to be using a 300WSM with 165gr Nosler BT slugs. Good Lord they better poke two holes.................................. :O

:biggrin:

That's what I'm shooting! Don't worry, they leave two holes! Haha

Remember, Larry, you're pushing them at 30-06 velocity...They'll perform as they are designed, as a controlled expansion bullet.

It you hotrod them at max .300 mag velocities, they'll perform like a varmint bullet, which is what the  "expend all the energy inside the animal"  advocates desire.

I'm not championing either philosophy, even though I personally favor the two holers.

Whatever works for you...As long as the critter  is dead and recovered, everything else is academic.

• Like 1