suggestions for new xbow

InkedLilPiggy

Hello all. So now that crossbows are legal again in NY I am looking to get into hunting with one. Up until now I have always been a shotgun guy, mossberg 835 and Ithaca deerslayer. Like many guys these days I am on a very tight budget. I have read great reviews on both the SA sports fever and the Barnett recruit. I'm leaning towards a recurve right now because of price and ease of use and repair. anyone use either of these or have any suggestions for other bows to look into? Looking forward to some advice.

• 2 weeks later...

for $300.00 you're going to get a bottom of the barrel crossbow....however, you can get a decent compound around that price range.

I have heard that from some and others disagree. I have been told as long as the xbow is decent and u use good bolts and broadheads I will be fine. Still open to brand and model suggestions on all of this, xbow, bolts, and broadheads.

I bought Barnett Jackal 2 yrs ago and this is first time I've really had it out shooting, seems to be doing its job. I got mine on Amazon, they have it listed for $289. For the money,  its a good starter crossbow. Take a look at the specs, see what you think. If your on a budget (which I am) it might be what your looking for.

• Like 1

I have heard that from some and others disagree. I have been told as long as the xbow is decent and u use good bolts and broadheads I will be fine. Still open to brand and model suggestions on all of this, xbow, bolts, and broadheads.

so if you disagree, you must have the correct answer...good luck with your search for a good crossbow for that price.

so if you disagree, you must have the correct answer...good luck with your search for a good crossbow for that price.

So nice when people are so willing to help out. If you read the post I said that I had heard people agree and disagree with your point. I am looking for advice. Never said I had the correct answer! If you have no advice for other than whatever I buy will be bottom of the barrel I ask that you keep your opinion to yourself. I know that on my budget I will not be getting top of the line. What I want is something that will take down a deer and put meat in my freezer.

For those that have offered or will offer advice I apologize for that rant and thank you for advice and welcome more. I will have to look more at the Barnett jackal. I was thinking of a recurve for ease of maintaining it. How hard is it to make minor repairs on a compound crossbow?

• Like 1

You can find  budget x-bows in the Sportsmans Guide.

That's where my Horton Fury that I'll be using this season came from.

I did some more shooting today, and I'm absolutely sickly impressed with the crazy accuracy of this freaking thing for the money!

The less expensive recurves have a tendencies which include exploding after only little use.

The problem with the crossbow industry is that it has grown so large and fast in the last several years, and the result has been a lot of poorly engineered xbows some of which have caused serious injury to there users.

Take my advice go onto Craigslist or Archerytalk.com classifieds and buy a used Excalibur which will run you about 100 clams more than what your looking at. There's an Excal on Craig's now for 400 in the Hudson Valley and I've seen a couple on Archery Talk for about the same in the last month.

The Excal is a bow that will never fail you..

Edited by sits in trees

• 3 weeks later...

Can I ask why? Is it poor assembly, poor materials, a bit of both?

You get what you pay for and especially in compound crossbow, you are not getting anything close to quality in strings and cables and as soon as they stretch, there goes your timing!!! If possible, spend a little more and at least get yourself a Wicked Ridge, you will be glad you did!

I have a Wickedridge Warrior low end Tenpoint. I like it.... dead on.... has ten point scope, 170# draw that I can handle...I think with bolts & taxes it came in around 400.00....but I got it with(yes Eddie) :cheese: Gander points. Got a dampening system and it cut vibration and noise.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2