where does rabies come from?

AaronBlaine

Hey guys I just heard over the news this morning about the kid and cop that was attacked in a playground by a rabid fox!  They tested the animal and It tested positive for rabies.  My question is where does this crazy disease come from? Ticks? Fleas?  THE DEVIL! lol seriously does anyone know?

I don't think they have a known fact of where it came from. From what I heard they believe settlers traveling with packs of dogs by sleds and what not from Europe. Sorry still doesn't answer your question.

When I was a bit younger I had to go through the treatment, woodchuck got me.

Haha, I wish I got bit (in some sort of weird way). Long story short damn thing latched onto the tongue and top side of my shoe and I had no socks on and tons of open scratched up bug bites and crap. Damn thing had me held up in my trailer for a couple hours, even had the original sole animal control officer run and lock himself in his truck until more guys came. Finally caught it that day, 44 lbs! Came at me like a little grizzly

Wish I had the whole scene on recorded, good 10 minute fiasco with myself. It's crazy to see, it was going nuts. Tossed over a kerosene lantern and was licking the kerosene. When I finally got into the trailer it was just charging and blasting off of the front glass sliding door, couldn't even tell you how many times or for how long. If I remember it was good half hour and didn't stop until the CO came and it charged him. I told him his little noose wasn't gonna cut it that day.

No biggie I laugh too plus luckily other then a ton of shots I had no pain or symptoms. Guess I was lucky to be unlucky, plus I think your immune for like 7 years after getting the treatment so I could go mess with more crap with no worries lol. That's what you get when you toss a city boy into some woods (north jersey Haha, I know not the best but beats the city!)

No problem at all, btw seems to be some what common over there (Sussex county). Had 3 other people being treated along with me, all because of bats supposedly. Btw I'm going back like 15 years but at the end of summer this year they caught a yote and a grey fox both tested postive for rabies. I didn't have a run in with them, also last summer had a fox scratch someone, person was fine but fox did test positive.

• Like 1

crazy I wonder whats causing it?  You could totally imagine a mutated version of rabbies that would turn humans into the movie style zombie! Im sure it would never happen because humans don't attack when they have it however could you imagine if they did and the disease took effect within 30 min!  Scary make believe stuff but hey ya never know! I would crap my pants if a fox or coyote came charging at me with it! Or a bear!!!! man that's some scary stuff what happens if a 400lb bear gets it!?   

Caught me off guard Culver, also at the time I was chasing a garter snake and was set on catching it, then once in the trailer other then kitchen utensils and pots and pans we were out of luck. I was also like 10 or 12 years old give or take, unfortunately growing up in the city and not having family or friend hunters I wasn't into it at the time. I'm still a hunting virgin!

As far as the ACO, only thing I can think of is maybe because it's a condominium community AKA trailer park they don't want to do that. I'm really not sure but to this day the handful of rabies in the community has been dealt with all by catching, haven't even heard of them using tranquilizers. The grey fox this year was caught, accidentally in a bear trap by our main dumpster.

• Like 1

I know rabies is transmitted through saliva and can only be tested using brain matter I believe. The most common carrier of rabies is the raccoon which is actually the only animal that can cure rabies by its self. 

Rabies and other maladies like distemper can run in cyclical time periods as a control on populations for coons. You'll see an outbreak of either every 3-4 years in an unchecked area, and 6-7 in an area with a slower growing population (trapping, hunting).

I know rabies is transmitted through saliva and can only be tested using brain matter I believe. The most common carrier of rabies is the raccoon which is actually the only animal that can cure rabies by its self. 

I didn't think there was any cure from rabies once symptoms appear........I was under the impression that it's always fatal.

I didn't think there was any cure from rabies once symptoms appear........I was under the impression that it's always fatal.

The large majority die, but a very few select people survive it...like fractions of a % infected kind of select people.

if I sliced my finger cleaning a goose...which I did this weekend...is there a chance I may have contracted rabies from the goose I shot? Does that mean I have to go get shots?

Haha no, as far as I know rabies isn't spread through blood. I also don't believe geese get rabies so you should be in the clear. If you really wanted to go to the doctor then go but if i was you I wouldnt.