Phesant Release Site Hunting

BKhunter

That is what many hunters believe, but its more like many of the birds initially released are disorientated and easier to find. Its not totally false though, because besides a heavy initial harvest two other things happen- heavy predation and some of the birds will move several miles a way. But no, its not a waste of time or anything like that, and with less pheasant hunters out there and a more difficult quarry its better IMO. Without a dog it is usually even more difficult, but some dog less hunters can have exceptional days when things quiet down and the birds, at least the roosters, cackle and can be tracked by sound.

Edited by mike rossi
  • Like 1

I've had good success without a dog simply by walking and kicking them up on my own.  I also tend to hunt off of other hunter with dogs.  If I see a couple of hunter with dogs at a particular field I would hunt an adjacent field with the belief that the dogs would push some of the birds into this adjacent field.

• Like 2

I've had good success without a dog simply by walking and kicking them up on my own.  I also tend to hunt off of other hunter with dogs.  If I see a couple of hunter with dogs at a particular field I would hunt an adjacent field with the belief that the dogs would push some of the birds into this adjacent field.

Elmo,

Where do you normally go? From other posts I have read and if my memory serves me correctly you are a city guy as well. I'm down in Brooklyn so was trying to make a day trip out of it for a weekend when I can't make it up to deer camp.

Stewart State Forest, Big Swamp, and Cranberry Mountain all have pheasant release.  I try my luck on all of them.  You sometimes have to hit the jackpot and strike shortly after the release.  Like Rossi said, even afterwards you'll find some still around but they've adjusted to the area and have found some safer havens.  I saw one running across a road  to someone's yard once on my way to Stewart.

Sterling Forest has a couple release spots too.

The fields I went thru would be easier to hunt with a dog - waist-high grass, shoulder-height wild blackberry bushes, green briers, a few holes, and a soggy wet area hidden in the tall grass.

At least I was able to bring home dinner - baked the pheasant with strips of bacon on it.

Thinking about it is making my mouth water.

Bring on the pheasant season!!

I would give second thought to the strategy of following other hunters in hopes they push a bird to you, for safety as well as ethical reasons. Taking a stand in a field and waiting is not what I mean, but some hunters will move along with hunters working the cover, sometimes without being seen by the hunters they are following.

Another point is don't shoot low flying birds. Remember: "If it's low, let it go"....

The OP is asking about how/where to hunt pheasant as well as teaming up with other hunters. It is difficult to answer how/where, because despite all the criticism about hunting released pheasant they are more unpredictable than just about anything you will ever hunt. While true, at times they can be unpredictably easy, they also can be very difficult quarry. The only true answer to the question how to hunt released pheasant is: with hard work and common sense. As a rule of thumb, if you hunt released pheasant on a fairly regular basis, and you don't at least occasionally flush woodcock, grouse, and cottontails, you likely are not working the cover enough and/or moving too fast. Yes, hunters will tell you they never see grouse, woodcock, and rabbits, but they are there. Even released pheasant are there and evade many hunters.

I caution against getting into the mode where you think it is absolutely essential to get out there with crowds of hunters on opening day or right in the morning on stocking days, believing that unless you do all the birds are gone. It is a good idea to go out on off days or at least in the afternoon when most hunters are gone.

What is nice about pheasant hunting is that it is not equipment intensive. But if you invest in good waxed cotton pants and jacket you keep (some) of the thorns out of your skin and stay dry. Expect the uplands to be soggy and wet, so you need waterproof boots as well. Don't even think of upland hunting without wearing blaze orange either.

A lot of places you need a permit to hunt opening day or first few Saturdays of the season. I have hunted at Golden Hill St. Park the last few years with a few friends, and we go into park the Sunday after opening day to try our luck. The past 2 years we didn't see 1 bird. We hope luck will change this year and get a couple of birds. We don't use a dog, but the guys that are in there on permit days all seem to have them. And we can hear the shooting going on in there from friends cabin where we meet on Saturday and stay over. The cabin is near the state park. Sounds like they shoot every pheasant in there. I just wonder how many pheasants they stock in there.

Elmo,

Where do you normally go? From other posts I have read and if my memory serves me correctly you are a city guy as well. I'm down in Brooklyn so was trying to make a day trip out of it for a weekend when I can't make it up to deer camp.

Have you found an area ? I am in the city as well and am looking into Crystal Lake and Bear Spring Mountain for pheasant, Turkey and deer... Have no dog, but trying to find some hunting partners in Sullivan and Delaware county.... Let me know.

B.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9349.html

here's a list of all the pheasant release sites in NY. Im def looking to hit them up this season, would like to team up with someone who has a dog.

Hi, just replied to BKHunter further up. Got no dog, but trying to team up to go after pheasant, turkey and deer in Bear Spring Mountain and Crystal Lake. Let me know....

B.

• 2 weeks later...

Hunted the  Wassaic Multiple Use Area (RS) in Amenia for a second time this year for pheasants. No birds and no sign of any either? Is the state not stocking this area this year?. Great place to run my dog but with no birds makes for a disappointed day for her. The new fencing and gate takes the worry of losing your dog onto rt 22 as well. Any ideas?