A mercy killing

Doc

Doc, did you call to see if you can get a new tag?

No, as long as I was able to salvage most of the meat, I figured that between the doe earlier and this buck, I have gotten my share of venison for the year.

I did consider taking it over to the region 8 headquarters and seeing if I could get an opinion on what caused the wounds. But I decided against it because the earliest I could get to it would have been Sunday morning and trying to find someone credible there on a Sunday didn't seem too likely  ;D . Plus it is a pretty good drive over there with a stinky old goat in the back of an SUV.

Doc

I agree, hard to tell just from the photos you posted. Maybe it started as a gun shot wounded deer that coyotes went after. In any case, its good that you put it down and didnt let all of the meat go to waste or let the deer suffer.

Thats my opinion too...started with a wound and progressed to hungry coyotes. I had a buck 2 years ago that I wounded and when we tracked him down and finished him the next day the coyotes were giving him hell. That was a gruesome scene to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

by the looks of the pic. he got ina  fight witha  bigger buck and he got shot in the ass prier to u shooting him.

Boy that had to be one awfully unlucky deer. I can picture some of the wounds as being antler punctures, but I don't know of any shotgun (other than one in one of those Rambo movies...lol) that would blow the whole area around the butt-hole off.Were talking a wound that is roughly 8 to 10 inches in diameter. Picture the hide and hair and some of the meat removed from most of the white part on the deer's rear. What kind of gun does that?