Just Sent via Cell Camera

sampotter

I have a solar panel on it. It was really foggy/cloudy yesterday, so it seemed to struggle a little.

Most of the panel sizes from the current vendors are too small. We have a panel on one and same thing. It certainly lasts longer, but the panels are too small size wise.

When the panel gets down too low with the external battery, the internals should kick in, but the problem is they wear down, too. So eventually, you're losing transmissions. Batteries never seem to go back up beyond 7 once it gets to six.

Edited by phade

The panel on this set is one of the Moultrie ones that is something like 5"x4" with a internal battery and hard plastic case. I bought a couple of Covert's panels this year which are a lot bigger, but the battery that came with it is a lot smaller and the panel seems to made more for charging your cell phone while you are hunting. It has a soft nylon "shell". I ended up making steel brackets so I can mount them from trees at a 45 degree angle instead of just hanging loosely and vertically. The jury is still out on them- I am a little concerned about moisture getting into the external battery and shorting everything out.

The panel on this set is one of the Moultrie ones that is something like 5"x4" with a internal battery and hard plastic case. I bought a couple of Covert's panels this year which are a lot bigger, but the battery that came with it is a lot smaller and the panel seems to made more for charging your cell phone while you are hunting. It has a soft nylon "shell". I ended up making steel brackets so I can mount them from trees at a 45 degree angle instead of just hanging loosely and vertically. The jury is still out on them- I am a little concerned about moisture getting into the external battery and shorting everything out.

Someone on chasing game did the math and the panel needs to be much bigger than what is commerically available to offset the draw on these cams even for an average number of pics.

How big are we talking? 12x20?

It was a pretty big difference. Enough to the point I was resigned to using the solar/external as a wau to get a few more weeks, not months. I want to say if was in the 10x18 range, but could be wrong.

It was a pretty big difference. Enough to the point I was resigned to using the solar/external as a wau to get a few more weeks, not months. I want to say if was in the 10x18 range, but could be wrong.

Last year in full sunlight the Moultrie ones seemed to do fine, but I'm going to have to do some more research. It may be that a  non-trail camera brand of solar panel would be best.

Was thinking of getting a cam like that myself but when I leave it on 3 shot burst over my food plots I can get upwards of 900 pics a month with does, raccoon, woodchuck, turkeys, etc. 

How do you have your camera set up f you don't mind me asking.  And is it one pic per text type of deal???

Was thinking of getting a cam like that myself but when I leave it on 3 shot burst over my food plots I can get upwards of 900 pics a month with does, raccoon, woodchuck, turkeys, etc. 

How do you have your camera set up f you don't mind me asking.  And is it one pic per text type of deal???

I have it set on a 3 shot burst, but the camera only sends the 1st picture. I have an 8GB card in it and it has a solar panel for juice, although Phade pointed out that the solar panel I have is too small to meet the camera's needs.