What's going on ?

fasteddie

3 hours ago, fasteddie said:

My youngest son lives in Canandaigua but he is only about 4 miles from the village of Honeoye . They have had bear come up out of the woods / creek and hit their bird feeders . I wouldn't want them near my house . :scare:

Over here in Bristol, I had a visit from a bear that bent the pole on a couple of bird feeders right down to the ground (it was 1-1/2" diameter iron water pipe and he pulled it down like it was a clothes hanger. On the second night he grabbed the trash can and strung garbage up through the woods. I keep the garbage in the shed now, and I rigged up an elevated bird feeder that runs on a a cable from the kitchen window to a tree at the edge of the woods (about 12' off the ground). He never came back. The next house down the road had a big old muddy paw-print against the outside wall. Not sure what he had in mind, but it looked like he was wanting to get inside.

Yes, it was interesting, but your right, I didn't really appreciate the intrusion and the damage.

• Like 2

I keep some honey bees at camp in Steuben County.  Of course the bee yard is well electric fenced. The battery needed to be replaced so I brought it home with me and took a new one back the next day.  Came back to one hive destroyed.  Must have been a bear slipped in and ate it. Honey licked out clean. Keeping a second battery for backup ready and time to get the trail cameras back on. 

• Like 1

We start seeing bear by our bird feeders in early April and they keep coming as long as they find seed in the feeders.  In April people around here start calling them "bear feeders".  I was sitting on my deck smoking a cigar one evening in April a couple of years ago when I caught movement directly under the deck below me.  A bear in the 300 lb range emerged to see if the feeder had been filled.  I yelled at it and it ran only 20 yards away, turned broadside and stood there looking at me for 2 or 3 minutes before wandering off as if it was pissed.  I now stop filling the feeder in early April.

Edited by Grouse
  • Haha 1