Indian Reservation Hunting in NY

bkln

Just wondering, what one needs to hunt there? just the Chief permission, what rules apply, standard DEC seasons or Reservation rules (whatever they are)...... anyone have some experience with that? Please do share.... Thanks

While this doesn't give a specific answer to your question:

from: http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/hunting/access-to-hunting-areas/

From this, it would seem the answer to the question lies in the specific tribal land in question.

NATIVE AMERICAN TRIBAL LANDS

Some tribal governments have made provisions for limited public hunting, trapping, fishing and snagging access, while others do not permit non-tribal members to hunt, trap, fish or snag on their land. Check with the governing tribal office to determine the requirements for hunting, trapping, fishing and snagging within the reservation boundaries. A special permit is required.
Edited by jrm
  • Like 1

I hunting Reservation land with a good friend of mine, some years ago. I needed to meet the chief and get his written permission what day (s) I would be on my friends land along with a NYS hunting license, not that it was needed, because it's not part on NYS., but I believe he wanted to know  I had the experience.  I also carried my NYS hunting license, just in case for my sake.  I also knew a lot of friends on the reservation, which may have helped my chances.

• Like 2

I hunting Reservation land with a good friend of mine, some years ago. I needed to meet the chief and get his written permission what day (s) I would be on my friends land along with a NYS hunting license, not that it was needed, because it's not part on NYS., but I believe he wanted to know  I had the experience.  I also carried my NYS hunting license, just in case for my sake.  I also knew a lot of friends on the reservation, which may have helped my chances.

I'm curious... that you would not need a NYS hunting license to hunt tribal lands makes sense. However, what happens when you transport a deer off those lands for processing? DEC rules require an attached tag. How is that situation handled?

I'm curious... that you would not need a NYS hunting license to hunt tribal lands makes sense. However, what happens when you transport a deer off those lands for processing? DEC rules require an attached tag. How is that situation handled?

The deer cannot be transport onto NYS land. The carcass stays on reservation land.  My friends father processed the deer on his piece of land. I then transported some of the meat. I did give a large portion to their family.

The deer cannot be transport onto NYS land. The carcass stays on reservation land.  My friends father processed the deer on his piece of land. I then transported some of the meat. I did give a large portion to their family.

Thanks. Makes sense.

Would that also be the case it you had a NY license and used your deer tag?

Each Reservation has it's own laws and regs.  The one i live next to you have to buy thier game licenses, they have their own tags and yes you can bring the deer off the res and you can have it cut up where ever you want.  I have hunted deer and waterfowl and fished for many years on the res with alot of good outdoors men for the res.  I have also traveled with people from the res to other reservations to hunt and fish; some res don't let non-native people fish or hunt their lands so u want to make sure of their laws.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, seems like a lot of work. I have one reservation close by which I'm passing at least 3 times a week, have not seen a soul hunting for the last 5 years. I guess I will have to stop by the office and have a chat with them. I have almost no hair so scalping wont be an issue...:-)

Going to a reservation is like traveling to a foreign nation that happens to also speak English.

Reservation land is treated like another sovereign nation's land.

The resident Natives on a reservation have their government, police force, and judicial system.

After all, you don't expect to just cross the border into Canada and starting hunt there without permission/permit for the firearm being transported there and a valid Canadian hunting license do you?

• Like 1