Shoulder surgery and drawing my bow..

Al Bundy

Sept 8th had surgery. Not a fun surgery but I am healing up. I drew back my wifes bow and held it for a while a few nights ago.  I did it.. Was farking painful but I did it. Its set to 35lb draw. My bow is at hunting camp and Ill be there late tonight. See if I can draw it back.  Im going to have to screw with the draw weight. Say a prayer for me. Thats all I need. Sitting in stand and have a monster come up and not able to draw my bow.

I had a severely torn labrum repaired a few years ago. They put 5 anchors in my arm and I was in a sling for the first month. Started physical therapy after I was out of the sling and don't think I would have been able to draw back on a bow no matter what the weight for at least 3 months. I would be careful. The shoulder is one of the most complex joints and once an issue occurs its easy to re-injure it. That's exactly why I scheduled that surgery for the beginning of January so I was still able to enjoy the season.

I would agree with jjb about pushing it. I'm not a Dr BY ANY MEANS but I did spend 16yrs in EMS so I have a little knowledge. If u push it by doing to mich to soon, u will end up doing more damage and be out for longer if not forever.

I'm in the same boat right now. I had a pacemaker "installed" on September 26th and I am sitting at home on my duff waiting to get cleared by the dr and more importantly, by the wife to hunt. Today marks 2 weeks and have another 2-4 to go. I know I COULD pull my bow but if I screw up and pull the wires out of the chambers of the heart, I have to do it all over again. Meaning another surgery and another 6 weeks with a pissed off wife and out for the entire 2014 season. If I do what I'm told, I'll get 2-3 weeks of archery and all of rifle.

It's not worth pushing it. Take the time to let it heal and go to PT. Tell ur therapist that u are an archery hunter and ur main goal is to not only be back to normal but to pull ur bow. They will work with u and make u whole again

My labrum was in good shape, a small tear. Rotator cuff in perfect shape. My issue was MASSIVE swelling and scar tissue due to vasculitis. I have no anchors, nothing to really pull out.  Essentially I just got a scrape and clean. I can move my shoulder more now than I could the last 2 years. Last year I could barely pull my bow back. I originally started down the surgery trail in January. Due to lots of BS, it took me til Sept to get scheduled.

I was in a a sling for less than a week, doctors orders. Also docs ordrers to move my arm/shoulder day after surgery.  He wanted me moving breaking up scar tissue. Maybe it is a bit early though.

You owe it to the deer to NOT go out with a cobbed up bow/arrow combination that you sure as hell haven't practiced at all with and go out hunting tomorrow morning.

Gimme a break.........

X2 Plus you can buy a lot of meat for what it will cost to repair it and time lost from work,if you screw it up.

• Like 1

I got to my bow last night at midnight. Tried pulling it and no way it was happening. Slept in this AM and sat in the popup with wife this evening. Two flatheads came by, one walked under my tree stand! Nice sized deer. Wife took a shot, she missed the mark. Oh well. Next time. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be better. This is not an awful shoulder issue. I hate having to get a muzzleloader tag for Cross bow.

"I had to take my wife to the movies. That's nothing. I had to take mine to the opera." And Al Bundy topped them all with "I had to take my wife.." Lol!

It sucks sitting here instead of the woods. You guys are right.. I may need to sit this season out or cough up for an x bow.