Shooting Sticks

Watching the videos of those African Sun Safari hunts one of the things that stick out is that always without exception the use of some sort of shooting sticks to rest the firearm when taking the shot, there were a few shots taken using an attached bipod laying on the ground. I have a couple of trigger shooting sticks that I use on occasion, one is a mono pod that doubles as a walking stick, I use it mainly when hunting with a handgun, it helps a lot with my old geezer shakes LOL.

The other is a tripod I use when calling varmints, it is a short model and I set it up when making a stand to call from, I like using them when I can. There is no doubt they work great and help a lot making a good steady accurate shot. The big difference between here and safari hunts is hunters in the US do not have a pro hunter to carry the sticks around and set up for the shot while hunting. To carry around both a long gun and shooting sticks for still hunting or spot and stalk would be a pain in the ass. For handgun hunting they are worth the trouble for me.

2023-10-11_115256.png

Edited by airedale

I have a Primos trigger bipod that I carry for still hunting.  I rigged up a strap for  carrying. It's a  lot better than leaning my gun against a tree. Plus I've never been any good at shooting off-hand. I need the crutch.

something I used to do when turkey hunting was to use a short bipod. I use aluminum arrow shafts cut into around 10 inch lengths of shaft with a short piece of smaller diameter shaft as a connecting sleeve that would slip in to connect the pieces. I ran a piece of elastic cord from top to bottom. Worked well sitting. Had rubber judo tips on the bottom segment and was frapped together at the top.

I know there are, or at least were other companies making them, but Primos sells a few sizes if fold up, shock corded shooting sticks. Work well for sitting, kneeling.  Don't know if they make long ones for standing or not. 

PRI65488_1_HR.thumb.jpg.0be54980e8dc06c3508069763b16fd41.jpgPRI65488_2_HR.thumb.jpg.ccf430451d09fb4c12b37bee64c7f329.jpg

I use a Primos monopod trigger stick. It can be adjusted from standing to sitting height. Has anyone noticed the new type they're using that's a tripod with a locking mechanism that holds the rifle in place without touching it. A little too much for me. I also use mine as a walking stick.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 8:33 AM, hunter said:

I use a Primos monopod trigger stick. It can be adjusted from standing to sitting height. Has anyone noticed the new type they're using that's a tripod with a locking mechanism that holds the rifle in place without touching it. A little too much for me. I also use mine as a walking stick.

Seems to be a copy of the bog pod death grip