Nice way to start a young hunter.

Woodjr55

This what I heard from my buddy.

My buddy was driving by the state land that we hunted this weekend and saw a guy with 2 youngsters. The one looked old enought to go on the youth hunt while the other was younger like 6. They started talking and The guy bragged that his son dropped his first doe yesterday afternoon and then said they are going to hunt in the pines on the state land.

I thought you could only shoot one deer during they youth season?

On page 38 of the Regs Booklet , it looks rather confusing .

It states that during the 3 day special .... Junior hunters (ages 14-15) will be eligible to take one deer of either sex with a firearm during this season and may use a Deer Management Permit , Deer Management Assistance Program tag or a regular season tag .

I had 2 a**holes last year, drive through posted property park, then take out 5 gallon pail of corn. They were showing one of their kids the "proper way to hunt". So DEC was called and showed them some " proper tickets".

I don' t understand some of these morons, it's no wonder people don't want you on their property and look down on hunting.

These 2 are also known for poaching deer on a preserve.

• Like 1

Found this -----

Q: Can a junior hunter continue to hunt during the special youth deer season after they have taken a deer with a firearm?
A: If the junior hunter also holds a Bowhunting license, they can continue to hunt with a bow pursuant to the Bowhunting license.

• Like 2

Should only be 1 deer if it isn't. Not against the youth hunt but I think it sets up unrealistic expectations. You only need 1 to be "hooked".

Im still curious as to the "unrealistic expectations" you are always talking about. The kids hunt the regular season too, and know that the youth season is only available to them while they are certain ages. I just dont see it.

I would hope that the youth hunt isn't the one and only exposure to deer hunting a young hunter would experience.....my son tagged along with me on many freezing cold unsuccessful deer hunts, so he wasn't set up for an "unrealistic expectation" about hunting deer and the youth hunt was just another chance to get out there.......NY was way behind other states with youth seasons, and a lot of those states are in warm climate areas, I doubt it spoiled many kids into thinking it's easy.

Edited by jjb4900