Shooting Antlerless deer

wolc123

What is your practice on that ?

I have personally taken any opportunity I get to shoot them as early as possible, if I have a legal tag (not my (2) buck tags though).  

If a group of them comes into range, I always try and start with the largest one, then work my way down in size, if I still have tag(s) and they hang around.  I have taken several doubles that way, through the years, but never more than that, in a single hunt.  

Roughly 1/3 of those “does” has turned out to be button bucks, over the last 42 seasons.  I have averaged about one of them, every other year, or so.  Ive yet to kill more than one bb in a single year.

I’m on a bit of a streak lately though, with one on each of the last (4) years, including one already this year. I guess I’m making up for lost time, as it had been 2 or 3 years, since the previous one.  

My first gun, bow, and ML deer were bb’s.  My third or fourth crossbow buck was a bb but Ive never killed one with my rifles.  Ive shot one from my bedroom window with my ML, and finished a few off with my knife, after they had been struck by cars.

They all taste the same, definitely in a class by themselves, compared to other deer.  I did eat a doe fawn once, that was given to me by a neighbor, and that was equally as good.  They just tend to be smaller and smarter, which is most likely why I’ve never personally killed one.  

Big brother always catches my first shot and doe fawns must be born smart enough, to run away from their downed mothers, while buck fawns are not.   

Ive taken lots of heat, but if I held off, it would certainty have resulted in unfilled tags.  Like it or not, bucks are the direct and indirect cause of the vast majority of car-deer collisions.   

My home area (wmu 9F) is grossly overpopulated with deer.  Unfilled antlerless tags is worse for all parties involved, than an occasional or biannual bb kill.  Besides that, they are extremely tastey, especially their livers. 
35EEFFE9-916F-4A42-964C-9D150FABDD67.thumb.jpeg.246030a0a5b4b612732f2c2feabacae7.jpeg

A2B719BE-5F3A-4441-B2F9-25CBCBDE292C.thumb.jpeg.2dacd77f47f5a5252e81cc3226b02f15.jpeg

27 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

I'll take Does every chance I get , I hunt for Meat not Antlers !

Same here.  I know a lot of guys who hold off in the does because they expect a buck to be following.  One time I shot a doe early on opening day of gun.  Two bucks showed up 10 minutes after I discharged my ML on the doe.  

I dropped the bigger one right next to her carcass, with my backup gun (open sighted, short barreled Remington 870 smoothbore).  That was the last deer that I killed with open sights. 

I’m going to try and do it again tomorrow, on Northern zone opening day of Rifle season, with my Remlin 336BL.  I got to use that, because it’s supposed to rain all day, and my father in law don’t like me getting his scoped Marlin 336 wet.  

Today is my last chance to get a doe up here with my ML.  It’s not looking too good, because I have not seen any sign of a deer all week, not even a track.  

• Like 2

ML season up north ends today, I hunted through yesterday...very warm and didnt see anything...that aside...

I am very happy to take a doe , which usually have more fat on them. I have gotten particular. I wont shoot a doe with fawns early in the season. I figure she is still teaching the young uns life, especially in a tricky part of the year. Just me. I would rather find a lone doe. As tags go unfilled...well, I will likely break up that family. I absolutely avoid the smaller/yearling deer, for the simple reason I want more meat out of my limited tags. I agree they are fine eating, and have no problems with whoever wants to fill thier tags as they may.

• Like 1

My practice is the same as your's and many others. Biggest to smallest is getting a ride home. Anterless or otherwise. The places I hunt I have a fistful of tags. All seasons. I try not to shoot the small blockheads but I like shooting and eating deer so if I end up with one, no big deal. I don't get myself outta bed and go hunting for nothing. 

• Like 3