Do trail cameras spook the older deer?

Doc

I do have to say that some of the trail camera photos hear show that the cameras are not really a secret. The pictures of deer noses kind of show that. Also, I have seen some pictures that show the deer running away. In fact, those are the picture that prompted me to ask the question. I know that too much human pressure will change deer patterns. The question is, are these cameras just another form of "pressure"?

In addition to the cameras, there are also the visits to monitor the cameras by the hunter. Especially when the cameras are inside of bedding areas. Too many visits to bedding areas, and pretty soon they no longer are bedding areas.

I don't know the answer, but it seems to be a reasonable question.

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

I do have to say that some of the trail camera photos hear show that the cameras are not really a secret. The pictures of deer noses kind of show that. Also, I have seen some pictures that show the deer running away. In fact, those are the picture that prompted me to ask the question. I know that too much human pressure will change deer patterns. The question is, are these cameras just another form of "pressure"?

In addition to the cameras, there are also the visits to monitor the cameras by the hunter. Especially when the cameras are inside of bedding areas. Too many visits to bedding areas, and pretty soon they no longer are bedding areas.

I don't know the answer, but it seems to be a reasonable question.

No doubt they notice the camera at times but I would guess the scare comes like you say the scent that the hunters leave messing with the cameras. I use the new ones with pics directly to the phone for the most part so leave little scent and have not noticed any changes in deer behavior for the most part. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Doc said:

My guess is this has more to do with it than the presence of the camera itself. If the camera was the major factor, then ANY human made device would spook them, theoretically, including vehicles, farm equipment, etc and we all know theyre quite accustomed to those, right?

12 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

My guess is this has more to do with it than the presence of the camera itself. If the camera was the major factor, then ANY human made device would spook them, theoretically, including vehicles, farm equipment, etc and we all know theyre quite accustomed to those, right?

Checking my traps yesterday two deer let me get 20 feet from them on the quad. I agree with you they get used to it and doesn't bother them. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2024 at 9:27 AM, First-light said:

Checking my traps yesterday two deer let me get 20 feet from them on the quad. I agree with you they get used to it and doesn't bother them. 

I have witnessed a lot of deer reactions that can only be explained as being "curiosity". A lot of that has to do with ATVs. Sometimes they will just stand there and stare at you.....as long as you don't get too close. Sometimes they just act like a farmer's goats. Maybe they just feel that anything making that much noise cannot be a threat.....lol.

• Like 1

Yes. I always get pictures of our best bucks within a couple days of putting out cameras in September. If I put another camera facing the established camera, I get pictures of the same bucks a few weeks later walking behind the original camera. These are "low glow" variety Moultrie and Tactacam - the issue is exacerbated with cell cams, likely due to something related to transmitting data...I don't know if they make some sort of noise? Regardless, I've done a whole series of experiments swapping cell cameras for non-cell cameras in two distinct, close by locations on the same trail, and consistently the larger bucks will avoid the cell cameras by a 2:1 margin. 

I think cameras are fun and can be good scouting tools, with the caveat that the absence of pictures of bucks doesn't mean that there are no bucks...

I have noticed a lot of "one-time" pictures of deer. You fool them once but never again. Big bucks and older does seem to be in that category. Yes, there are some that seem to ignore cameras time after time, but the older deer do seem to avoid the cameras eventually. Has anyone else made that kind of observation?