Corn feeder

Slickbowht

Ok so just went checked out 25 acre spot that my Motherinlaw has owed for 30 years in walden / montgomery . So she just tol me about it, no one has been there from the family for 25 years. So I go find it surrounded with lots of other undeveloped land. I walk what I think is the property line and find a huge wooden tree stand with shooting rails facing my new land. Just 30 ft in to other prop from said stand is a 50 gal tripod corn feeder !!!!!! Sign all over rubs scrapes etc. what to do about it . Thoughts ???

Call the DEC because if they already know about it and you hunt that area, you may get charged for baiting

Thats a good point, but its not on his property either.  But better to be safe then sorry.  Just be careful, you never know what kind of person you are dealing with.

Great way to get to know the neighbors . I spent all day yesterday at town hall trying to find out where the 16' right of way through someone's lawn , then way up over state land to get to property. This land has been in my wife's family for years and no one ever knew how to get access. It's kinda land locked . Would be a long walk for dec too

Great way to get to know the neighbors . I spent all day yesterday at town hall trying to find out where the 16' right of way through someone's lawn , then way up over state land to get to property. This land has been in my wife's family for years and no one ever knew how to get access. It's kinda land locked . Would be a long walk for dec too

I'm not looking to use the feeder/baiting to my benefit in any way. I hate cheaters. I was thinking about putting a not on it. That says " remove this feeder and do not hunt from the tree stand/ shoot onto my property or I will be forced to call dec "

you said you walked what you THINK is the property line.....for all you know the feeder can actually be on your property. I would find out exactly what is yours and take it from there. I wouldn't assume the feeder is on someone else's property and start hunting nearby, if it turns out to be on the property you own and hunt it may be a problem for you.....if in doubt call DEC and get it taken care of. 

• Like 1

Kind of a tricky one here. If you call, and the person gets nailed, they might just come messing with your gear/stands if you leave them out.

At the same time, you don't need the headache of having this near your hunting land.

I would drop the dime, then post the living crap out of the land you will be using. This is one time where if your gear gets messed with, you will have a prime suspect.

grow is right, the town/county likely has very good tax maps. Some counties have them online with aerial photos as well.

In fact if you are in Orange, and based on the towns mentioned I think you are, they have a very good interactive map. Once you zoom in enough you will see all the property lines and can also see the parcel information (owner, coords, etc).

http://ocgis.orangecountygov.com/OrangeCountyBaseMap/index.html