Sling Shot Hunting

My Dad talked a lot about hunting with a sling shot when he was a young boy, he made his own equipment using mostly tire inner tubes to propel his shot. He claimed to have killed squirrels and rabbits with his home made sling shots. I have played around with sling shots myself and they can be quite entertaining, I used steel balls for ammo but I have never hunted with it. If I am not mistaken sling shot are illegal in NY these days.

Anyhow I came across this fellow's site and was amazed on how big sling shots are in his part of the world. When you can not own and fire guns like we here in the USA you come up with plan B. If there is a will to hunt there is a way, with trained Dogs, Ferrets and sling shots these guys are still hunting and they are good at it.  They also hold competitive sling shot matches. Take a good look, as it pertains to hunting this country of ours is heading down the same path as Europe did a bout 50 years behind, we may be hunting with sling shots here one day.

Al

When I was a kid we started hunting squirrels with "Wrist Rockets" and ball bearings when we found BB guns were not powerful enough.  You get real good with them with lots of practice.  It was fun and effective.

• Like 1

My first slingshot was a Wham-o and made from wood, I later picked up a Wrist Rocket that I believe I still have somewhere. 

Like just about everything else slings shot like archery equipment has evolved and some have got Hi Tech with provisions for flashlights and laser sighting.

They are a lot of fun.

Al

2024-02-02_063952.png

• Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 6:49 AM, airedale said:

My first slingshot was a Wham-o and made from wood, I later picked up a Wrist Rocket that I believe I still have somewhere. 

Like just about everything else slings shot like archery equipment has evolved and some have got Hi Tech with provisions for flashlights and laser sighting.

They are a lot of fun.

Al

2024-02-02_063952.png

Wow!! That looks pretty high speed!! How much was that advertised for ?

Gramps helped me build my first slingshot. Carved wood and rubber from an inner tube.  Then I got  a wrist rocket. I killed alot of birds rabbits squirrel and woodchuck with mine . My job was to keep pigeons  out of the barn. I was pretty bad ass with that and a blowgun.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Wow!! That looks pretty high speed!! How much was that advertised for ?

Poking around on ebay I found slingshot prices ranged from just under $10 up to around $50 for something like the one pictured above.

Watching the video above most of those guys use a basic traditional type slingshot for what they do and they seem pretty deadly and accurate with them, well made traditionals can be had for around $20.

Al

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I sent off for one of the modern catapults as they call them, made in China and although not a lot of money it seems to be of good quality. It has sights that can be used if desired, something to fool around with when I am bored.

Al

2024-04-01_193849.png