Year round trail cams?

Do you leave your trail cams up all year or take them down in the offseason? I dont have any trail cams up anymore, but wanted to get back into it and invest in some better cams this year.  Couple of things that concern me, of course, are theft and damage due to weather . Do you hang (and leave ) your cams up all year or no?

Thanks,

David 

Mine are up all year. I have them on my property, so it isn't a problem with theft. Believe it or not, I put up some pretty cheap (Amazon Chinese specials) and get several years out of them.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, avg. joe said:

Mine are up all year. I have them on my property, so it isn't a problem with theft. Believe it or not, I put up some pretty cheap (Amazon Chinese specials) and get several years out of them.

Do yours have the little cards you have to go in and collect for pics or does it send directly to your phone.

Year round.  They are Spy point cell cameras with either Litium-ion battery packs or solar powered.

Usually visit each camera 2 -3 times a year to replace battery, trim brush / leaves or re-position a bit.  They have high-capacity SD cards, so carry cards when I visit, and only swap if one is near capacity.

I leave my Cameras up all year ( 5 of them) ! They are cheapo Walmart Cameras ( $ 30.00) and I've put them up with a ladder and swap out my SD cards every two weeks or so and change batteries when needed !  I've also placed broken Cameras at eye level to keep them guessing ... LOL

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JJBat150 said:

Year round.  They are Spy point cell cameras with either Litium-ion battery packs or solar powered.

Usually visit each camera 2 -3 times a year to replace battery, trim brush / leaves or re-position a bit.  They have high-capacity SD cards, so carry cards when I visit, and only swap if one is near capacity.

Yeah, but do you have to visit your spots to pull the cards in order to view the pics or does it automatically send to you r phone?

2 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

I leave my Cameras up all year ( 5 of them) ! They are cheapo Walmart Cameras ( $ 30.00) and I've put them up with a ladder and swap out my SD cards every two weeks or so and change batteries when needed !  I've also placed broken Cameras at eye level to keep them guessing ... LOL

Do you think theyre aware of the cams?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Yeah, but do you have to visit your spots to pull the cards in order to view the pics or does it automatically send to you r phone?

They send to phone when they take a picture.    they also keep a copy on the card in the camera

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2024 at 8:17 AM, Northcountryman said:

Do yours have the little cards you have to go in and collect for pics or does it send directly to your phone.

Yes, but I am out and about all the time so it isn't an issue.

• Like 1

I run a bunch of cameras in the fall (25 or so) but only keep 2 of them out all year.  Those 2 cameras are cell cameras that are strategically placed to monitor my property for trespassers, etc.  So more of a security use case in the off-season.  

• Like 2

On 3/28/2024 at 10:06 AM, avg. joe said:

Yes, but I am out and about all the time so it isn't an issue.

I hear you, but there are a few issues w/ that: 

1) time issue- Ive had cams placed as much as a mile in before; pain the a#% sometimes to make the time.

2)Frequency of visits = educating the local herd as to your presence, conditioning them to avoid the area?