Happy Birthday NY Hillbilly

For the sixth attempt, and now from my phone. Thank you fellas for the birthday wishes! : ) 

I just got a new computer the other day for my birthday and it worked great until tonight. Something went nuts with it so I’ll have to make an appointment with the IT people.  Go figure! After 13 years with my old one, I finally updated and now this. Urghhh! 

Thanks for remembering me! 
NYH 

• Like 1

Well, it seems it fixed itself? Uh…ok! :  )

By the way. I spent the entire day last Saturday in a beginners bee keeping class. Now that we have something of a handle on chickens, with our first season of successful hatching of chicks from our own flock, we are getting into bees. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Here I am at 65 just learning about the birds and bees! :  )

• Like 1

8 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Well, it seems it fixed itself? Uh…ok! :  )

By the way. I spent the entire day last Saturday in a beginners bee keeping class. Now that we have something of a handle on chickens, with our first season of successful hatching of chicks from our own flock, we are getting into bees. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Here I am at 65 just learning about the birds and bees! :  )

Congrats on a sweet hobby. I managed 16 hives back in the 70's.  I have one hive currently. Got all my supplies from Betterbee in Greenwich, New York.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

Our plan was to try to help the bees, while also helping pollinate our garden and my fruit trees.  If we are able to get some honey as well it will be an extra benefit.  

I found the speakers and everyone else at the class very friendly and helpful.  We are looking forward to this new adventure.  There is much to learn.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Nothing more exciting than to go into  swarming bees, and dropping them onto a nearby tree branch with loud noise.

Are you starting out with package bees?  My first package I paid $17 for including shipping.

I'm going to join the local bee club, and sign up for their field training program. We will start with 2 hives and purchase nucs from one of the local people, so I know they are northern bees that are used to the climate. It will also support the local bee community and hopefully help ease their pain of my likely endless questions. lol

11 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

I'm going to join the local bee club, and sign up for their field training program. We will start with 2 hives and purchase nucs from one of the local people, so I know they are northern bees that are used to the climate. It will also support the local bee community and hopefully help ease their pain of my likely endless questions. lol

That is a excellent way to get some experience. I was lucky enough to have a second generation beekeeper teach me the ropes. He had like thirty some hives, which he give me three of to start me out.  

Some of my best producing hives were packages from Mississippi. They sent aggressive queens with them and out produce northern bees 3 to 1. Very winter hardy. A little more difficult to work with; especially  when the buckwheat blossoms would close early. Now I'm talking 70's and 80's. I can't vouch for today

One of my daughters has bees . She was giving away bottles of honey and selling some . Some of the work requires lifting which she can no longer do . My oldest son helped her and now he wants to raise bees . 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fasteddie said:

One of my daughters has bees . She was giving away bottles of honey and selling some . Some of the work requires lifting which she can no longer do . My oldest son helped her and now he wants to raise bees . 

Nice to see others taking an interest in beekeeping.