how to deal with a thief?

hookon

Ive been hunting this certain piece for 6yrs. Private 24 acres in albany co. Head in today to find both my moultrie cameras gone (over 100ea.) Out of the 6 yrs. Only seen 2 people on it trasspessing just happens to be on Saturday .the one walked underall my stands looking up at them the other had a crossbow which is not legal where I am. So I hope you on this forum and you read this and do the right thing

There is the ancient practice of cutting off the offending hand or being branded (literally) a thief.

Seriously though,  do you have any other cams out there that may have caught them in the act?

If yes, send the images to the local PD and/or DEC.  Especially if they have illegal hunting implements with them.  At minimum, caught trespassing, if it shows them carrying out your other cams, it will be trespassing and theft.

Are your cams labeled with name or other info to indicate who the owner is, if they are caught?  Will make a better case.

If you see boot/shoe tracks that don't belong, have them casted for additional evidence.  If they are on camera and have a matching tread pattern, it would be hard to argue, wasn't me.

Saturday morning I hunted one ofmy three stands there in a semi cicrcle couple hundred yrds apart. At 9:50 a kid ( 20's ) walks by one of my stands and goes into the bedding area carring a crossbow. At 5:40 a guy walks out of the bedding area carring a bow talking on a flip phone while im inanother stand. And walks under the other ones looking up at them. He did see me in the one stand cause he stop a few times and starred. So after walking by me a packed my stuff got down a went to find him but ofcourse it was pretty dark already.

I guess the good thing is that they might not be back(this season anyway). I'd still make sure to lock your stands. They know you saw them and they knew you were in the tree so down came the cams.

Is the developer having any land clearing or work done on his parcel? Just for sh*ts I would contact him and explain. Don't leave out the crossbow part. I had the same thing happen where a neighboring developers workers were stealing fox & yotes out of my traps or the traps altogether. The thievery continued after the work was completed so the developer authorized us to post/patrol his property.

Edited by PREDATE