Wow this is pretty darn good for L.I.

First-light

Taken from LI deer hunting website:

Just wanted to say congratulations to all you lucky successful hunters out there!!we set a record today at fish unlimited taxidermy in oakdale!!! We butchered 40 deer today. 35 of them were bucks. The rut is definately starting to turn on!! Of the 35 bucks 15 of them were pope and young!! And 7 of those scored 150 or better. It's killing me butchering and skinning this time of year. Can't wait to get back in the woods myself. Wish everyone good luck!!!we already have 15 mounts from this October mounted and drying. Off to a banner year at this rate!! Just goes to show you that the hunters can do a great job controlling the deer population on Long Island if they let them. Give us more areas to hunt and we will show them even more! The new 150 foot definately helps also.

Taken from LI deer hunting website:

Just wanted to say congratulations to all you lucky successful hunters out there!!we set a record today at fish unlimited taxidermy in oakdale!!! We butchered 40 deer today. 35 of them were bucks. The rut is definately starting to turn on!! Of the 35 bucks 15 of them were pope and young!! And 7 of those scored 150 or better. It's killing me butchering and skinning this time of year. Can't wait to get back in the woods myself. Wish everyone good luck!!!we already have 15 mounts from this October mounted and drying. Off to a banner year at this rate!! Just goes to show you that the hunters can do a great job controlling the deer population on Long Island if they let them. Give us more areas to hunt and we will show them even more! The new 150 foot definately helps also.

So 35 of the 40 deer he butchered were bucks, and he thinks the hunters have done a great job of controlling the deer population on LI??  How many does were passed while these guys were waiting for their trophy bucks (15 of which were P&Y. LOL)?   I bet that most of these guys won't even go out anymore, now that they got their trophies.  I realize that land access is an issue on LI, but I still say that hunters, especially since most of the hunting is bow only, put very LITTLE hurt on the deer population on LI.

• Like 1

My always teases me about traveling far to my hunting spot when she travels 10 min from the house to Nassau county and see's deer. Btw, that's sagamore hill in the back round, Theodore Roosevelt's home

Edited by ANTLERS

My wife always teases me about traveling far to my hunting spot when she travels 10 min from the house to Nassau county and see's deer. Btw, that's sagamore hill in the back round, Theodore Roosevelt's homepost-348-0-63335100-1415280265_thumb.jpg

Edited by ANTLERS
  • Like 2

OK, I wouldn't listen too much to what this guy has to say. He is all over the internet trying to drum up business. He thinks that you will be impressed that he gets all of these deer in daily. I would bet it is nowhere near the actual amount. You got in 40 deer in one day, 15 p&y bucks, and you have time to post on the internet about it? It's marketing, nothing more.

• Like 1

OK, I wouldn't listen too much to what this guy has to say. He is all over the internet trying to drum up business. He thinks that you will be impressed that he gets all of these deer in daily. I would bet it is nowhere near the actual amount. You got in 40 deer in one day, 15 p&y bucks, and you have time to post on the internet about it? It's marketing, nothing more.

I can agree with what you say...but I saw the pics and there are some pigs in it with him in the pic. Not saying they came in on one day but they are there

Boy I've seen pics and read their stories of guys on LI this year and they're killin em down there. Can't belive how many big boys hit the ground. Congrats to all those lucky hunters

Thats because they have places to grow up. Thats awesome and with a little self control or a new law all of Ny state could be just like that.  But we know thats a whole new thread. Great for those boys!

Thats because they have places to grow up. Thats awesome and with a little self control or a new law all of Ny state could be just like that.  But we know thats a whole new thread. Great for those boys!

You want suburbia throughout the rest of the state?  On LI you mostly have bowhunting only, and very little access for hunters along with NO natural predators.  That is the ONLY reason the bucks get big there.  Do you think hunters really want to see the same scenario throughout the rest of the state?  I don't think so.

• Like 2

I don't know. This place is busy. And they have a very good time frame on getting your mount done. They do good work as well.

If I lived closer to you guys, I probably would have my work done there. As far as promoting online? That is the way it is now.

Maybe I will get the next one done by your place. (Being you are on this site) What is your average turnaround?

Sometimes, the number can grow right along with the antler size, LOL.

I can agree with what you say...but I saw the pics and there are some pigs in it with him in the pic. Not saying they came in on one day but they are there

I also have seen some pictures of big deer this year. Many of those deer were taken this past week, the rut on LI hit full swing. Also a lot of these guys take many doe. There is twice as many doe taken than buck picts on the site. There has to be controversy is everything does it. I don't see how he is drumming up business, he is stating hunting has been real good. He is an excellent Taxidermist so I believe his work speaks for itself.  Along with that there are some really good processors out there who do a great job. 

I've never heard of this guy before so I looked at the website and his work looks good. $475 for a whitetail shoulder mount is very reasonable.  My favorite on his site is this one

Hes a great taxidermist! I dropped off the 10 point I have in my profile and he did a great job on it. He was very professional and the turn around time was exactly as he told me which was pretty darn quick. 

• Like 2

Yes Long Island , NY can grow some pretty big deer,As I said on another post, the food is there Potatoes, pumpkins a good supply of oak trees and some pretty heavy areas to hide in.Out further east there are the grape growers.

Years ago at the check station in Ridge there was a 21 pointer that was shot in that area.

You want suburbia throughout the rest of the state?  On LI you mostly have bowhunting only, and very little access for hunters along with NO natural predators.  That is the ONLY reason the bucks get big there.  Do you think hunters really want to see the same scenario throughout the rest of the state?  I don't think so.

No you missed my point Stevie. Point being they have time and places to grow up and show their potential. They(The Deer) have all those things going for them there that allows they to reach a mature age. In most parts of Ny it would take a law to get the same thing across...Age!

No you missed my point Stevie. Point being they have time and places to grow up and show their potential. They(The Deer) have all those things going for them there that allows they to reach a mature age. In most parts of Ny it would take a law to get the same thing across...Age!

The DEC wants deer killed and they don't care about age, nor should they really.  Many hunters don't either.  You trophy hunters of course do, but hunting seasons were never put in place just to satisfy you trophy hunters.