Epic failure on opening day…..

First-light

Didn't see anything until 9:00 opening day morning. I was in my stand and noticed a deer 60 yards out cutting across the flat. He was running on 3 legs. The deer was huge and had a set of horns to go with the body size. I was waiting for a full broadside shot but he stopped before that happened. I watched as his head turned side to side, he looked in my direction and headed right for me. Not only did he come right to me but stopped 15 feet from my stand to take a breather. His rack had to be 20+ inches wide. I have one on the wall that is 22 wide, this guy might have even been bigger. I pull the gun up on his shoulder and squeeze the trigger, nothing. I thought the safety was on but it wasn't. I try again nothing.

At this point he starts moving to the heavy brush so I cycle the chamber and try again, nothing. I cycle tow more times and once again the gun wouldn't fire. I watched him run off. Not only was he a real trophy but just the fact it was my job to take that animal down. He was lame, such a strong huge deer, now only having three legs to get around on. The late was snapped in half right above the hoof. Was a real bad shot whoever took it. I found out later it was a property owner behind me down the road. What went wrong, there could be number of things but I will never know. I replaced the Remington slugs with Lightfields in the afternoon. I took a doe at 50 yards, gun shot fine………such is hunting.

Firstlight, I can only imagine your level of frustration....Many years ago, the "scoop" was to avoid Remington slugs...Back then we switched to Winchester, and of course now there are many specialty slugs out. Now I shoot a rifle and stick with Hornaday, (who also makes slug shells for shotguns)

Turns out,  ammo is always the least expensive part of any hunt...So I simply try and buy the best I can find.

Hopefully you get another crack at him.

You need to pull the trigger harder.......LOL...

Seriously now...Did the gun go CLICK when you pulled the trigger..?..Was there a mark on the primer ..?..  Are you sure that the action was locked ..?.. Is there any chance the safety was not disengaged ..?...

There has to be a mechanical reason for this failure to fire.

The gun is a 1187 auto loader. Its 25 years old and has never failed me. I have had Remington slugs jam the gun but never not being able to shoot. The gun felt like it was on safety whatever I did. The consensus from the guys around camp is that the gun didn't set properly when I loaded it. Now I'm in my stand and don't want that load noise from the action when you push the button on the autoloader. I hold back on it and let it click in with less noise. Probably the cause but I'll never know. That deer wasn't meant to die that day and hopefully he is breeding some doe right now. He can do that on two good back legs! lol

I have shot 1100s and 11-87s for close to 50 years.

Sometimes if you ease the action closed trying to be quiet, the action does not lock and will not fire. One good way to assure that it is locked after you ease it closed is to give the back of the operating handle a firm whack with the heel of your hand to make sure it locks.

Also, if your action was gummed up a little with excess oil or dirt, woods debris, etc. it might not lock firmly when eased closed.

Cold temps would magnify this effect.

If the gun did not go CLICK, the ammunition was NOT an issue.

Edited by Pygmy

My 1187 has done the same thing a couple times over the years. It happens if hunting in real cold temps, and is because of too much, or  wrong type of lubricant. If the gun oil you use is too heavy, it gets viscous in the cold temps and slows the firing pin, or sometimes stops it all together. Look at the primer on the shells that did not fire and see if they are dimpled. Give the firearm a real good cleaning and if its hunting in real cold temps try using no lubricant after its clean. I will bet it solves the problem. It did for my 1187. A missed shot is a tough way to find the problem exists. I feel your pain on this one!