Skinning

Dom

Know that we are getting colder temps/weather when do you skin your deer?I my self no matter the weather once I hang it I skin out/I find the colder the animal the harder it is and also get more hair on the carcass making for a long time butchering

If you skin it ASAP and delay the butchering for about 12 hours or more you'll loose a fair amount of meat to trimming after the exposed skin dries out and crusts over.  No biggie but a definite consideration.

IF.......IF the temps are below, say 35 degrees you can leave the hide on as long as you want (like two weeks if you are so bold and can control the temps) and skin/butcher when you are ready with no meat loss due to drying out.  Only if temps are conducive though!!

• Like 1

I process the entire deer myself. Hang it, skin it, butcher it, trim it, bag it, vac it!

Same here.

Skin it ASAP to allow the body heat to escape.

I like to let it hang in 40-35 degree temps for about 5 - 6 days then finish butchering and packing for the freezer.

IF.......IF the temps are below, say 35 degrees you can leave the hide on as long as you want (like two weeks if you are so bold and can control the temps) and skin/butcher when you are ready with no meat loss due to drying out.  Only if temps are conducive though!!

The doe I got yesterday , is still in the  back of my capped  truck . 25 F outside another 1-2 ft of snow coming tomorrow on top of the 4 ft we have now . With the hide on , she's good until I get to her in about 2 days.

So if I add "ASAP" to my original post it's in compliance...

To think, after I just got done giving you accolades on your canned corn, zapped potato & tenderloin dinner... This is what I get!  :crying:

LOL, yes, ASAP would make your post very applicable.  :)

I owe you a "like".

Edited by Lawdwaz

The doe I got yesterday , is still in the  back of my capped  truck . 25 F outside another 1-2 ft of snow coming tomorrow on top of the 4 ft we have now . With the hide on , she's good until I get to her in about 2 days.

The temps Tuesday morning were in the teens here.  If I left my doe in the shed since I got home late Monday it would be a frozen hunk of nothing.  By nothing I mean NOTHING happens while the deer is frozen, NOTHING. :)

I left her in the back of my truck until early morning then nrought her into the garage.  Around 10:30am I hauled her out to the shed to skin & quarter.  Perfect................

Edited by Lawdwaz

If it is warm they get skinned and processed immediately. The deer taken this past weekend were cut up Tuesday night. I leave the skins on. It can be tougher to get off but no big deal. I like to minimize the air contact with the meat because you end up trimming off dried up meat after hanging with the skin off..

3 guys, 3 Deer. 3-1/2 hours from lights on to lights off. All cut, vacuum sealed and cleaned up.