What do you think? Ethical or not?

damore81

I am curious to  know everybody's opinion on whether or not they would kill an animal that has been conditioned by other humans. Obviously we dont know whether or not this hunter knew that this bear was human fed and conditioned but what if he did know? Would you still harvest the animal?

I killed a bear in Canada once a good many years ago now.  Have absolutely NO desire to kill another bear whether it was conditioned by humans or not.  I think a lot of hunting these days is done with human conditioned animals.  Wouldn't food plots for deer be similar?  Many states allow bear hunting over bait.  Any feeding of wildlife by humans is human conditioning in my opinion.

Im not into the bear hunting thing, but if the hunter legally killed it, I dont have a problem with it. I do have a problem with the people that decided they should tame the bear, that is never, ever in the animal's best interest. If you want to have a pet bear, go through the hoops you need to and take your chances with a domestically raised bear. Keep it in your possession legally and do what you want. Leave the wild animals to be wild.

Food plots arent even close to what went on with this bear.

Well that is my point. The hunter did take the bear legally which I have no problem with however if he was aware that this bear  was human conditioned  then that would not really make it a challenge or a fair hunt in my opinion. This bear was turned into a "wild" pet.  I know the area that this bear was killed and it would be hard to believe that in this small area someone didnt know the story behind this 17 year old 800lb+ bear. Food plots for deer in my opinion are not the same thing as baiting simply because it is not guaranteed to bring in a deer. It is simply a supplement and deer over a food plot are completely different in nature than a bear over a bait pile.  Once again just my opinion and no hard feelings to any of those who hunt bears over bait.

We KILL animals and eat them.  I have no scruples whether the cow was fed by the farmer or some elk in the rockies that never saw a person.  It is the responsible stewardship of them that matters, and trying to do it as humanely as possible.  Feeding animals (especially bears) is just not a smart idea most of the time, doesn't make it unethical to shoot the bear.  If this bear was 'conditioned' he probably did everyone a favor in eliminating the threat this animal may have become. 

Good for him he got a big 'un.

Food plots are not evil, they are food for animals, and they are hard work for the owner.  They help set up more ethical shot opportunities, and there are no guarantees.

There are no guarantees in baiting bears either.  Like baiting for bears, food plots are intended to at least try to attract deer to a location.  We've been thru this argument on this site before.  Darn few people feed deer out there just because they want to make sure they don't go to sleep on an empty stomach.  The vast majority feed them because they want to try to bring and keep them on their properties in order to shoot them during hunting season.  I am not saying it is right or wrong, only stating the reason food plots are put out.

If this same bear that was a wild tame bear, mauled a person or kid, every person would be up in arms wanting this bear killed which it would be. Which this would lead back to all the people the feed this bear for 17 years.Maybe they should have given tickets to all the people that admitted they feed this bear.

I don't understand what it is with people who feel they must "tame" wildlife. It always is a story that has a rather bad ending one way or the other.

Imagine if you were the proud hunter who killed that trophy. He will forever be the butt of jokes about killing Yogi Bear. Fair enough if he knew the bear was tame, but if he didn't, imagine how he felt when he found out.