personal trainer

Red

Has any one on here ever used a personal trainer for working out? Ive been going to the gym but only once a week because of work and family obligations but with work slowing down im akready putting on the winter weight and I can't afford to do that. Im thinking if I get a personal trainer I'll have to go to the gym more and I want him or her to help me shave some time off of my 1.5 mile run push ups and sits ill be taking an agility test in the very near future and want to blow it out of the water. Im no slob by any means I have an extra 10lb but I do very physical work every day. If you used or use a personal trainer did it help you? Sorry for babbling

Red

Having worked out for 29 years now (scary when I actually did the calculation) and having competed in powerlifting for much of that time, here is my take on personal trainers:

If you don't know how to train, need help learning exercises/proper form and setting up routines, then they can be very helpful if they are good.  Get references and check them out first.

If you already have this down, then they really can't offer much more than motivation or a different point of view on training.  That alone may be worth it to some people.

There is also much training information that can be had on the internet for free, but you need to decide whether its valid or not.  I have read some "advice" that makes me shake my head, but have also learned ideas that really helped me to progress back when I competed.

I got my canvassing letter on Tuesday for the buffalo police im very pumped.

I pretty much bed help with it all my shoulders hurt all the time because of work so I just go to the gym once a week and run im thinking the trainer will be able to set up a good routine and show me how to properly use the machines I tend to stay away from them out of fear from damaging my shoulders and not knowing how to properly use a good bit of them. And some some motivation while im there won't hurt lol. Thank you moog

Good luck rotorooter

• Like 2

Based on what you described, it sounds like a personal trainer would be helpful.  Not necessarily recommending this, but when my shoulders ache from heavy benching, I will do very light DUMBELL  (fingers facing ears - don't do barbell as this will do more damage to shoulders due to your hand angle which causes greater should rotation) military presses for high reps (25-40/set) every other day at the end of a workout.  It gets blood in the area, which aides in recovery of the shoulders.  Anyways, good luck.

I'm lucky enough to be friends with a couple of personal trainers so I have used some in the past. They are more than just used for motivation. They help cater a workouts to maximize your time at the gym. Can you do so on your own? Maybe. Does having a personal trainer help? Yes.

Running on a treadmill and lifting weights is definitely better than sitting on a couch but if you were like me where I was already doing that and wanted a little more result, a personal trainer helped. After a while, once I had the a regimen catered to me and I felt I could do it on my own, I stop the one on one visits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am joining the club at PT...I have already asked them that due to having my ligament problems and they have me on track with my legs ,knees hips and ankles would they guide me through things to strengthen my shoulders back and core so I won't injure my self...they have agreed as long as they aren't to busy.... and everyone helps everyone else out there...today I helped and elderly new member learn how to use a few pieces while doing my PT session... then another member helped him out later...

Without that...I'd get at least one session with a trainer...dang it's expensive!

I got my canvassing letter on Tuesday for the buffalo police im very pumped.

I pretty much bed help with it all my shoulders hurt all the time because of work so I just go to the gym once a week and run im thinking the trainer will be able to set up a good routine and show me how to properly use the machines I tend to stay away from them out of fear from damaging my shoulders and not knowing how to properly use a good bit of them. And some some motivation while im there won't hurt lol. Thank you moog

Good luck rotorooter

That's great man! Good luck! And thanks as well. Been waiting for that test for some time now and got a pretty good score. Just waiting to hear more! Been through the agility test before for county sheriff and if you hit the gym on a decent basis you shouldn't have a problem! Not bad at all

Trainers run the gamet from good to bad, some take a couple classes and call themselfs a trainer. Shop carefully. My new guy ( I'm a LT in a good sized FD) is a high level Cross Fit trainer, that kid is good ! About 5'7 " idk 150 with a 265 squat clean and can do 30 muscle ups .

He sure knows his stuff not just the moves but how the body works. I'd put him way ahead of any of the trainers at my gym.

Myself I avoid machines for many reasons, locked into plain of the machine , takes balance , stability , core, power,and speed out of the movement .

Compound movements on your feet, high intensity interval training, and you'll be fine . Good Luck !

Earlier today I stopped in at the gym thst I go to and sat down and talked with a trainer he recommended another personsl trainer that would be good for me we spoke for a while and I went to pay him for 10 sessions and he told me to hold onto my money and he will give me a free one in Monday then I can decide if I want to get the 10. Sessions. Im very pumped. I also ran who left I was there and did my 1.5 mile run with 49 seconds to spare

Edited by Red

Man I love the machines...I am on a rotation of them table work stretches and balance...really like the one where you hook to a line ...set weights and walk out and back....like dragging a deer..Lol..amazing what it teaches you about how you walk....balancing on one leg on a trampoline is a trip ....