Possible Reasons for a Bad Gun Season?

CharlieNY

Well I think we can agree that the daylight movement has been low, deer numbers in many area's have been affected by 2 harsh winters, predators, hunting, cars, poaching and disease.   I don't think making a one buck rule, eliminating youth season or early bow would affect this problem at all.

Hunt smarter!  Did you scout?  Have a back up plan in case your normal hunting grounds were poor?  Did you stay in a tree for 6 days?  Did you try to stalk?  When no sighting where apparent did you check the beds?  Camera's are ok but real scouting is best.  Not that we can all do this but the one's who do this type of prep work usually get deer.  The other ones come on here and complain so I can give my all knowing advice out to them.  LOL  :rofl:

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see what kind of spin DEC puts on the season.

They have a small book of excuses that they keep for years when the harvest is down. They will just fish around in there and find one that they believe everyone will swallow .... lol.

Sorry, I guess I'm just getting old and cynical, but I have seen a lot of these "stories".

• Like 2

I was wondering how many deer get poached each year.

I'm not saying poaching isn't an issue, but it seems so many guys instantly blame their neighbor for their lack of success. I hear it from EVERY hunter.

"If my neighbor stopped shooting doe"

"my neighbor is brown it's down"

"they shoot spike horns"

"they drive the hell out of the property"

"he invites his whole family to hunt that small plot"

"I think I found a footprint on my posted land"

"my neighbor walks their dog/rides quads/target shoots during bow season"

"i know he uses his wife's tag"

The list goes on. At some point, you do your best to control what you can and go out and just enjoy the woods

• Like 4

I'm not saying poaching isn't an issue, but it seems so many guys instantly blame their neighbor for their lack of success. I hear it from EVERY hunter.

"If my neighbor stopped shooting doe"

"my neighbor is brown it's down"

"they shoot spike horns"

"they drive the hell out of the property"

"he invites his whole family to hunt that small plot"

"I think I found a footprint on my posted land"

"my neighbor walks their dog/rides quads/target shoots during bow season"

"i know he uses his wife's tag"

The list goes on. At some point, you do your best to control what you can and go out and just enjoy the woods

Perfectly said, but you left one out that not many would admit, "Deer snuck up on me while I was on my phone.".  :telephone:

Good season = getting out there - Bonus is filling a tag.

Bad season = not getting out there.

• Like 2