Luck or Skill

the blur

geesh I never said others do not put in their time.  Again I said what works for me. Get over it.

get over it? you make comments about the time people put in... i  dont know why the last few of your posts start out with " i never said" guess we are all confused and should get over it lol

i understand what you said clearly... and i do think its great that you put that time in.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so you can't find any place where I told someone theyneeded more time?  I didn't think so. My responses have been generic, but you jumped on it like I was talking to you directly, or you were standng up for the down trodden? which is it? 3 deer in an area loaded with deer?  Is that an accomplishment? just curious

yes take up bowling.  You cant wound too many doing that.  Inexperience, ineffeciency and the inablilty to learn are one of the biggest problems facing hunting today.  If you dont put in the time and scout or put in the time to shoot dont blame the weather or lack of people pushing deer to you or the f***ing bullet was not good when you make a poor shot.  Eithe ryou are in for it, or you arent

I believe hGeno is taking exception to this comment and it was the same one I was commenting on, specifically the last sentence.

yes take up bowling.  You cant wound too many doing that.  Inexperience, ineffeciency and the inablilty to learn are one of the biggest problems facing hunting today.  If you dont put in the time and scout or put in the time to shoot dont blame the weather or lack of people pushing deer to you or the f***ing bullet was not good when you make a poor shot.  Eithe ryou are in for it, or you arent

I believe hGeno is taking exception to this comment and it was the same one I was commenting on, specifically the last sentence.

thank you.... lol

If a guy doesn't have the time to devote to hunting he can't be devoting time to practice.. which means he is less proficient with the weapon he's using... which mean to me that he is probably missing more often or wounding more often. I don't get the argument that guys just don't have time to devote to hunting, they only get out one or two times a year... maybe they should take up another hobby that doesn't involve using a weapon.

and my bowling comment was a response to this and as i said after it was a joke response.  Is that the best you got?  This comment was the one who said to do somethng oither than hunting?  Jump on this one

If a guy doesn't have the time to devote to hunting he can't be devoting time to practice.. which means he is less proficient with the weapon he's using... which mean to me that he is probably missing more often or wounding more often. I don't get the argument that guys just don't have time to devote to hunting, they only get out one or two times a year... maybe they should take up another hobby that doesn't involve using a weapon.

and my bowling comment was a response to this and as i said after it was a joke response.  Is that the best you got?  This comment was the one who said to do somethng oither than hunting?  Jump on this one

Don't get hot, Bubba. I wasn't in my comment. I only pointed out how, my life in particular doesn't always allow for me to dedicate the amount of time I would like too. But I was also tyring to say that everyone shoudl now their limitations and make responsible decissions. we owe that much to the game we persue. Just not black or white in the quantity of time

Don't get hot, Bubba. I wasn't in my comment. I only pointed out how, my life in particular doesn't always allow for me to dedicate the amount of time I would like too. But I was also tyring to say that everyone shoudl now their limitations and make responsible decissions. we owe that much to the game we persue. Just not black or white in the quantity of time

from what i see bubba makes his comments and then when its debated hes gotta some how start to show his d**K. As steve stated earlier in this thread this is not the first time.

and bubba dont tell me i dont know what i am talking about....

I am all for getting proficient with ones weapon.  I myself sure know that I don't practice nearly as much as I used to, yet I can still put a deer down when I see one and haven't wounded one for a good many years now.  I think many hunters are in the same boat as me.  Time to devote to actual hunting is limited for most.  In your book does that mean these guys shouldn't be allowed to hunt at all if a few days is all they can devote to it?  You are one of the guys here who keep saying that hunters should pass up smaller deer and let them grow, so you probably wouldn't mind having these hunters not hunt at all?  They might let the little ones grow up for you to shoot a year or two down the road.  LOL

I didn't say anything about me caring if they hunt or not.. I just think it's a lame excuse that lots of guys use whenever they don't like a new rule, regulation or idea that has to do with deerhunting. If they don't have time to get with the program then they should find another hobby and stop complaining how bad their deer season is.. Guys killing small bucks has never made any difference to me when it come to me hunting bigger bucks or how much fun I have doing it. But! My OPINION is that I am for guys passing on them.

A little late to this... Yes both for sure,however two big factors are time afield and where you hunt. The op said he was out 4 times in gun,as of 12/8/10. Well thats not  much time at all,and yes it may be all he has. I've been out 10 or 12 times in that time frame.

My farm land is great in bow,but in gun due to neighboring pressure and the farmers plowing all the fields as soon as they harvest its hard hunting.

Yet I went to Stueben county and killed a deer in 1 hour on stand and saw 60 -70 in fields at 12 noon !!! Those guys can tag out any day they go to camp........

I've read this entire thread and I'll only add my opinion.  I've recoginzed a direct corelation between how hard I work at something and how "lucky" I get, period.  If you don't work at all at it, rely on dumb luck and expect unbeilevable results - you'll probably be let down. 

What I meant was. guys use having only a few days to hunt as an excuse for why we should or should have doe tags, why we shouldn't have AR, etc. Everytime a new idea for a new regulation, or a management concept is discussed that answer comes up as an excuse for why we shouldn't do something... It comes up for why they don't like some regulation that already exsists... the fact that a small minority of hunters only have a few days to hunt is not a reason to do what the majority might think ought to happen... so, if those hunters can't "get with the program" they might want to try another hobby... maybe they'll be a little more happy

What I meant was. guys use having only a few days to hunt as an excuse for why we should or should have doe tags, why we shouldn't have AR, etc. Everytime a new idea for a new regulation, or a management concept is discussed that answer comes up as an excuse for why we shouldn't do something... It comes up for why they don't like some regulation that already exsists... the fact that a small minority of hunters only have a few days to hunt is not a reason to do what the majority might think ought to happen... so, if those hunters can't "get with the program" they might want to try another hobby... maybe they'll be a little more happy

Small minority of hunters have only a few days to hunt??  I would bet that the vast MAJORITY of hunters who buy big game licenses don't hunt more than 5 to 10 days in a season.  You guys who are out hunting just about every day are the minority, that is for darned sure! 

I think you might be underestimating how many guys have limited time in the woods. Lats take blue collar guys working hourly and maybe not getting any vacation. that is a lot of folks out there. They get weekends off. If they schedule a late Thanksgiving dinner they have 9 days to hunt. I have been very lucky in my career but up until the last 5 years or so I was lucky to get those in due to family requirements and working out of town during the week. But 9 days isnt a very long season. sure you can get it done in 5 minutes on day one but not very often.

I will be the first to line up and say cut the excuses....make the best of what you have. Just saying I can understand.

If you can get good scouting done and apply a little luck you can probably get it done in the 9 days....so I guess my view being on topic....takes skill and being lucky enough to have the time to apply it

5-10 days is a lot to me... i'm talking about the guy that gets out a few saturdays for a couple hours in the am and a couple before dark and we're suppose to alter all the regulations to fit his schedule. We all have to make choices... if i can't put in the time for hunting.. oh well.. I am just saying that I'm not going to use it as an excuse for not seeing deer and needing to change something about hunting. Nothing annoys me more than a guy thats been out twice and complains that there isn't any deer and then follows that up with "the coyotes must be gettin' 'em we need to shoot more coyotes"..lol

Yes I do get a lot of days to hunt.. but I put in my dues for years when the kids were young... and never complained or used it as an excuse for not seeing deer or being against a regulation. I just hunted harder on the days i was allowed and made the most of the time I had i the woods. Don't get me wrong.. I'm not saying that a guy that has limited time shouldn't hunt.. he should just shut up and hunt..lol

Yeah, I will agree that there are some who only hunt a few hours and then complain that they see no deer, but 5-10 days of gun hunting that most of us do out of a season that is about 23 days long isn't a heck of a lot either.  I wouldn't be expecting many of these people who hunt for only 5-10 days to be happy with added regulations where it would make it even harder for them to take a deer.  That is why I think something like AR's doesn't swing with the majority of hunters out there, no matter what some of these polls people keep posting might say.