Dead deer

Karpteach

What would happen, if you find a dead buck after the season and it had a huge rack?  What are the laws? Are there any laws? Doing a lot of scouting this winter, have found dead does in the past years and was just wandering.

I would keep the antlers if found after season no known laws to keeping them

I bring home quite a few dead buck heads after season while shed hunting. Not 100% sure on the legalities but I assume as long as it's not being sold you're ok. A monster may draw some unwanted negative attention and rumors when folks start finding out about it so I'd call a CO on it to get a carcass tag to keep with the rack just to cover my own butt.

What would happen, if you find a dead buck after the season and it had a huge rack?  What are the laws? Are there any laws? Doing a lot of scouting this winter, have found dead does in the past years and was just wandering.

I would keep the antlers if found after season no known laws to keeping them

i beleive you can get in trouble for that. You would have to notify the DEC and they would fill out the paper work on it and let you take it. at that point i would assume they would treat it like a shed anter and you would be able to keep the rack. only upon DEC paper work.

Let's try this. Finding a dead deer in the woods is like finding roadkill on the side of the road. In order to possess it you must have a permit signed by some LEO. That's right isn't it? So why wouldn't the same thing apply if you are trying to remove some portion of a "found" deer from the woods?

Seems reasonable. Sounds like we have another topic for legal advice. We need a member on this forum that's a conservation officer or a judge ..... lol.

Doc

Shot a deer on the farmers land that lives next to me(he gave me permission) and i shot at a doe. Called my dad on the Radio and had him come down to help me look for her due to the lack of light by the time he got there. Didnt find blood or hair so i most have missed but found a spike horn skull with horns still on it. I dont see why u couldnt take the horns. i feel like its the same as picking up a pair of sheds.

I think the problem with picking at deer carcasses is who's to say you didn't shoot the animal earlier in the season for the rack alone and continued to hunt for bigger or just more antlers. Only after or even durring season to return to cut the rack or head loose claiming to have found it dead or unrecovered. There's just no telling.

Pickin up sheds are just evidence of living deer that have made it through season. No animals are killed or injured in the taking of them thus no tag required.

Why would their be a dead deer just lying their ??

The coyote's would scavage it real fast.  Sounds fishy to me.

I could see finding skin and bones lying around, but never a full carcass.

Oh contrare mone frare. I can show you pics of nearly 30 deer carcasses I found after season last year alone in a 2 mile area.

Why would their be a dead deer just lying their ??

The coyote's would scavage it real fast.  Sounds fishy to me.

I could see finding skin and bones lying around, but never a full carcass.

Oh contrare mone frare. I can show you pics of nearly 30 deer carcasses I found after season last year alone in a 2 mile area.

30 carcasses within a 2 mile area !!

That would indicate gut shots, and hunters not tracking their deer.  I believe the DEC estimates the population at a few deer per sq mile.