Colt Python

Pygmy

I was at a friend's house last night having a holiday drink.

He showed me a 6" BBL. Colt Python that he had bought used probably 30 years ago and has never fired.

It is about as close to perfect as any used gun I have ever seen. bright, high luster bluing, no dings and just a smidgen of holster wear around the muzzle. he has the box, owner's manual and documentation. Gorgeous revolver..

It's not for sale, but we wondered what prices a minty Python would bring these days..If I remember correctly, he paid $300 or $400 for it back in the early 1980s.

I know that they have increased dramatically in price since that dude on " The Walking Dead" started blasting zombies with it a couple of years back, just like the M29 Smith .44 magnum did when Harry Callahan used one to blow away bad guys in the "Dirty Harry" movies.

I've been thinking, since my first post. A little while back I picked up a King Cobra, in beautiful condition, for 650. On line revolvers like that were going for 1000+ and the Python is a much more desirable gun. I bet your friends Colt could bring 1500 +

• Like 1

I've been thinking, since my first post. A little while back I picked up a King Cobra, in beautiful condition, for 650. On line revolvers like that were going for 1000+ and the Python is a much more desirable gun. I bet your friends Colt could bring 1500 +

I have been snooping around gunbroker.com today...Bids are running from $1500 for a beater to as much as $5000 for a sweet one.. I think my buddy has a very valuable revolver..Unfortunately, he never sells ANYTHING..LOL..

Wish I could be like that...I have sold a bunch of guns over the years that I regret parting with.

Yup…If you can find a colt revolver at a decent price grab it. I have two and I am always looking for more. Finding one is one thing. Finding one at a good price is another.

As much as I like classic S&W revolvers……Colt wins every time.

• 2 months later...

I say $1.500 is low at this point.  With no drag line on the cylinder I think it would sell quickly at $1,500.

The auctions are funny.  Sometimes it seems two identicat guns will sell for significantly different prices.

I bought a 6" nickel Python two or three years ago for $1,450 and one with damaged finish just sold this month for $1,675.

Nickel and stainless are more rare but collectiors want the deepest royal blue.  Had dreams of one of each but ain't gona happen.

I have been snooping around gunbroker.com today...Bids are running from $1500 for a beater to as much as $5000 for a sweet one.. I think my buddy has a very valuable revolver..Unfortunately, he never sells ANYTHING..LOL..

Wish I could be like that...I have sold a bunch of guns over the years that I regret parting with.

When researching prices on Gunbroker make sure you are looking at 'sold' prices (your have to register and log in and use advanced search) and not the initial asking prices.  Plenty of dealers throw stuff out there high and hope to get lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

I can not say for sure but I have heard old colts in very good condition bring in a hefty price..I can tell you the Trooper is not any where near a Python,but I am sure it well be worth more then you paid for it...

I know the Python was the top of the line when I bought the Trooper III. But it's still a great gun and will last for ever, not really trying to sell it . Was my first gun.

One time I broke a guy's leg & took his Colt Python from him. He told the cops he was "just trying to scare me". Well he did scare me. Scared me enough to where I figured I better get the gun away from him before he did something stupid with it.

I asked the cops if I could keep it.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

I'll bet they didn't let you keep it, did they ?

Probably " Officer Ferdip" has it in his private collection right now...hehehe.

I think the idiot got it back. He worked with my father in law. He went to a lawyer to see about filing a lawsuit to cover his medical bills & $900 damage to his truck that resulted when I wrapped the driver's side door around his leg when he so foolishly opened the door & stepped out after the firearm was knocked from his grasp.

The lawyer wouldn't take the case W/O a substantial retainer fee paid "up front".

IMO, he should have had the weapon seized & his "unlimited carry" permit rescinded.

I know the Python was the top of the line when I bought the Trooper III. But it's still a great gun and will last for ever, not really trying to sell it . Was my first gun.

Do not get me wrong.The trooper is a great gun.Sorry if I came off sounding like a jerk..

I also have a Colt Trooper MKlll 6". I bought it a few years ago for $500 (I think) . The big difference between the Python and the Trooper MKlll was that the Python had a lot more hand fitting done to it than the Trooper did.   The MKlll Trooper is still a damn fine, top of the line revolver. Mine was made in 1971. I found its original price tag  with the paper work……..$145….LOL!!!   But that wasn't chump change in 71.

I would love a Python but….hard to find and crazy$$$$

Two Pythons just came up in the last week on GunBroker.

I think a 6" barrel is the most common and collectors want blue before nickel or stainless.

In the last year I saw a 2 1/2 or 3 inch blue Python sell for $4,000!

The first one, still active for a couple more days has a 4" barrel.  Started at $0.00, no reserve and is now at $1,975.  Auction # 476934969

The second one, blue 6" barrel started at $1,500 with a reserve and closed with no bids!   Auction # 477048663  Wow, I am very suprised.  If you watch the auctions enough there is a wide range of interest & prices for the same firearm so maybe this one was just missed by the Python buying collectors.  Maybe strategy-wise he should have started with a lower initial price?

BIll