New Member to the Forum

soileauj

Good evening all. I've been getting lurking for a few weeks and finally decided to join what looks to be a great site and forum. I'll hunting up in Otsego county and look forward to being able to have some worthy post here. I'm nowhere in the league that you guys are in but I'll give it my best.

One quick question, when is the best time to put stands up.

Thanks

Welcome !!

As far as the stands go, I guess first thing is where are you going to place them?  If you know that, a few weeks before the season is plenty of time.  I've hung stands in the morning and hunted them in the evening, no sweat.

Do you hunt public land or private?  Big woods, scrub brush or field edges?

You fish too?

What the heck is a "soileauj" anyway?

• Like 1

I think it depends on whether you will need to do much trimming...if just a branch or two you can get away with later...if a lot is needed .....early so the spot calms down. I prefer to put them up early in areas with lower tree limbs ...nothing worse than climbing up for a hunt to see limbs are in the way..worse yet hitting one on a big buck shot...been there...done that.

Guys thanks for the replies. To answer a few questions-

1-soileauj is my last name first initial-from Louisiana-been in NY for over 30 years

2-Have leased property

3-Mostly wooded property with good hilltops

4-already put trail cams and got doe traffic

5-not really a fisherman

I appreciate the respsonses. I was thinking of putting them up in the spring when it warms up a bit. Was out on Friday and it was cold with the wind.

My hunting up to this point has been in North Carolina & Colorado. figured it's time to get my own spot.

Thanks again all