Nonresident hunting in ny with 30 cal ar

Slaynbux

You're comparing your view of the firearm with the views of others.

An AR platform will shoot rings around any other semi-auto that is offered by major manufacturers in any SAFE-compliant configuration. Accuracy, dependability, adaptability, versatility, ergonomics, you name it. Properly set up, an AR platform is also capable of standing atop those criteria against most off-the-shelf bolt guns.

The AR's, AK's, and their derivatives are priced very similar to other semi-auto's.

The discussion is about '30 caliber', not 30 rounds.

Not arguing, just informing.

totally agree with everything you just said. But what's the price difference between a properly setup AR and a Ruger American bolt action or savage axis? 2 guns that are under $400 and have rave accuracy reviews in all hunting and NRA magazines? Keeping in mind I own many guns, pistols and have 2 cc permits. I am not arguing against "the evil black gun".

i have shot several ARs of various calibers, makes and models (they're not evil where I live). I'd own one if it wasn't for the fact that I don't feel I need one and usually find something else to spend my money on. They're great guns and I know they shoot straight and take out deer and other game just fine. Maybe it's that I think of deer hunting kind like a sniper. 1 shot, 1 kill. And most snipers use variations of tje AR platform that are not what I'm picturing the OP is talking about, or they use bolt actions. And maybe it's because I've seen or heard much about hunters using them. So for the final time, I am curious as to what would make someone want to hunt with one, let alone someone from out of state risk NY's crazy laws.

It is your qualifiers you toss in at the end of each of your comments that are driving this. "I am just curious" BUT the American is meant for hunting (Like the AR isn't) the bolt gun comments and followed but the old who need 30 rounds of 5.56...lol. There is a reason that the AR platform is hands down the most purchased weapon in the county. Mmay not be what you are intending but you are really sound like your believe it has no place in the deer woods.

• Like 1

totally agree with everything you just said. But what's the price difference between a properly setup AR and a Ruger American bolt action or savage axis? 2 guns that are under $400 and have rave accuracy reviews in all hunting and NRA magazines? Keeping in mind I own many guns, pistols and have 2 cc permits. I am not arguing against "the evil black gun".

It's apples and oranges. put a list of auto loaders to compare the AR to. It's like saying look and the AWD Subaru forester and then questioning why would anyone want to own a Vet.?

• Like 1

My goal here was to try to get some info safe approved mods for ar's not to measure dicks or offend anyone. Belo u bring nothing new to the table for me other than u like cheap bolt guns. Great, kind off topic but not interested. Been there do that.

It used to be about $0 actually. But that was a few years ago and I don't own any guns today.

It is your qualifiers you toss in at the end of each of your comments that are driving this. "I am just curious" BUT the American is meant for hunting (Like the AR isn't) the bolt gun comments and followed but the old who need 30 rounds of 5.56...lol. There is a reason that the AR platform is hands down the most purchased weapon in the county. Mmay not be what you are intending but you are really sound like your believe it has no place in the deer woods.

I just don't believe anyone goes looking at ARs when thinking about a deer rifle. If people are, then I want to know why. Maybe I'm missing something.

It's apples and oranges. put a list of auto loaders to compare the AR to. It's like saying look and the AWD Subaru forester and then questioning why would anyone want to own a Vet.?

How many guys hunt with autoloaders? I know it's personal opinion and choice, but if a survey was done, i bet good bolt action is what the majority of guys hunt with. I do have a browning gold edition slug gun. It's semi. I've fired more than 1 round only twice, and both times I didn't really need to.

My goal here was to try to get some info safe approved mods for ar's not to measure dicks or offend anyone. Belo u bring nothing new to the table for me other than u like cheap bolt guns. Great, kind off topic but not interested. Been there do that.

Again, welcome to the forum. Your typing skills and attitude should really help grow this site and take it to the next level of intelligent debate.

Edited by Belo

How many guys hunt with autoloaders? I know it's personal opinion and choice, but if a survey was done, i bet good bolt action is what the majority of guys hunt with. I do have a browning gold edition slug gun. It's semi. I've fired more than 1 round only twice, and both times I didn't really need to.

Half he guys I hunt with have auto loaders now. When I was with a group up north that drove all day. The majority were.

I m one of many who bought ar's for hunting. The reason has been answered clearly. My gun has hunt specific features 4 round mag , non adjustable stock, camo dipped real tree ap. leupold vxr 3-9-40. 22 in barrel. If I ever need follow up shot bang shoot again. I Would rather not have to fumble with a bolt reaquire the the target then shoot. Plus there fun to shoot. Cost more though.

I m one of many who bought ar's for hunting. The reason has been answered clearly. My gun has hunt specific features 4 round mag , non adjustable stock, camo dipped real tree ap. leupold vxr 3-9-40. 22 in barrel. If I ever need follow up shot bang shoot again. I Would rather not have to fumble with a bolt reaquire the the target then shoot. Plus there fun to shoot. Cost more though.

Perfect answer. Thanks.

Well a AR is just like owning a car, boat, sled, 4 wheeler. You can add my different things to it to customize it. You go buy a Remington 700 rifle, you can add a few things. I get a AR I can buy a lower, and build several different caliber uppers, and swap them out in a by popping out a could pins. The AR plate form is like a blank canvas and you can make it what you want.

Belo, I own a ruger m77 30-06 hunted with it for 15 yrs accurate gun took many deer with it. in 1998 got picked for moose hunt here dropped nice bull moose with it. But with the we hunt it was a handicap.Purchased a rem model 742 woodmaster auto loader 30-06 turned out to be a jammaster. Then moved on to ar's. Mine shoots and functions flawlessly. Most accurate rifle I've ever owned.

I know exactly what I'm comparing. Generally most hunters use a bolt action because of the accuracy and because they don't need 30 rounds of 223, plus the AR is much more expensive. So I'm trying to understand why someone would want to hunt with one. Not arguing, just curious.

But you cant compare the two based on price. But if you really want to go down that road, I have more money into my Remmy 700 308 than most have into their hunting ready ARs.

30 rounds has nothing to do with it, and 223 has nothing to do with it, you can buy or build just about any caliber on an AR platform. The attractions are mostly:

-semiauto that is ridiculously accurate

-modular, so you can build it exactly how you want it

-light weight (generally speaking)

If you have never messed around with one, you really should, they are amazing rifles.

hey welcome to the forum. Great way to get a good name for yourself by calling someone an ahole before you know anything about them.

I guess I needed to say more than 3 times THAT I WAS JUST FREAKING CURIOUS.

actually he called the politicians a-holes, not you. He said you sound like them.

But you cant compare the two based on price. But if you really want to go down that road, I have more money into my Remmy 700 308 than most have into their hunting ready ARs.

30 rounds has nothing to do with it, and 223 has nothing to do with it, you can buy or build just about any caliber on an AR platform. The attractions are mostly:

-semiauto that is ridiculously accurate

-modular, so you can build it exactly how you want it

-light weight (generally speaking)

If you have never messed around with one, you really should, they are amazing rifles.

so followup, because I've followed your build. Why did YOU choose the 700 for a build and not an AR? iirc didn't you sell an AR to help fund the build?

actually he called the politicians a-holes, not you. He said you sound like them.

I guess I see how that's different :rolleyes:

Could have figured that this thread would turn into a debate over AR's being suitable for hunting.  LOL

I for one will stick with my bolt actions.  To me that's what a big game rifle is supposed to look like.  And yes, I have killed 3 deer one after the other with it, so multiple deer can surely be taken with one.  Most especially in a state like NY I'd never even consider hunting with an AR.  You get stopped by a state trooper or DEC officer and then all of a sudden they get more interested in whether your rifle is in violation of the SAFE act than they are whether you violated any game laws.  That there is enough of a reason for me to stick with a bolt action or other more common hunting arm where there will be no room for anyone to bust my balls over the type of gun I have in my possession.  If any of the rest of you are fine with potentially being given this extra special treatment by law enforcement, then knock yourselves out hunting with them!

Edited by steve863

Wnybuckhunter, in regards to rem 700 cost for build , I recently looked into buying a 700 for a build, new factory offering quality was horrible, started hunting around for a 70s to 80s bdl in 308 . I gave up on that. by the time I either buy custom action or acquire a trued action barrel it install match trigger, stock work pay gunsmith well over 2000. Instead went mega maten build in 308 bout half the price and doing it myself.