Calif. Coyotes Attacking Children

Mr VJP

I don't know if there has ever been a coyote attack on a kid in NY. A week ago I saw an adult coyote along the edge of a 3-acre soybean field behind our house at about 6:30 am. When I cultivated the adjacent 3-acres of corn a few days later, I lost one of the shovel/spring cultivator assemblies from the tractor somewhere on the field. Seeing that coyote kept me from offering my (2) 11 year old daughters a $10 reward if they found it for me. With hungry pups to care for now, I bet them coyotes will be a little less selective about what they try and eat.

It sure would be nice if NY state let us shoot coyotes year round as most other states do. This would be the easiest time to pick them off, especially the pups before they get "educated". It will probably take a "kid-attack" here to get them to do that. The poor kid will have less of a chance of survival here against our larger, almost wolf-sized "eastern" coyotes, than those kids out in CA had with them pipsqueak, rodent-eating western versions.

• Like 2

It sure would be nice if NY state let us shoot coyotes year round as most other states do. This would be the easiest time to pick them off, especially the pups before they get "educated". It will probably take a "kid-attack" here to get them to do that. The poor kid will have less of a chance of survival here against our larger, almost wolf-sized "eastern" coyotes, than those kids out in CA had with them pipsqueak, rodent-eating western versions.

X2 on the above and they should include Fox also, the only thing they are good for is keeping the rodant population down, other then that thy kill everything there size or smaller for a meal.

The California drought has stressed all the wildlife and plants there, I am not surprised that animal confrontations of all kinds are up in the west. Glad NY has a long season and no bag limits, studies have shown the east coast population is as much as 3 percent wolf DNA.

When my children were little I saw on several occasions that the coyotes would come out of the woods/swamp at the approach of the school bus and follow the bus down the street to the bus stop. 

We always had an adult meet the children at the bus stop.  Local fathers took up coyote hunting in a big way.

• Like 1

If a coyote approaches and looks aggressive, pick up small children and pets and throw rocks to deter the animal, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife said.

I don't even know how to respond .

Oh, I thought you were going to say "pick up small children and pets" and throw them at the animal.

• Like 1