Dog Adoption

bkln

Someone on this forum posted ones about dog adoption, that we have some friend at the shelter and they let us know when they have hunting dogs. Does anyone remember that? I was looking high and low and couldn't find anything....

My wife and i got our dog from open arms rescue ,they have a huge database from all over the country. Ill never give another dime to a dog breeder as long as i live ,after seeing how many dogs out there need homes more then a dog breeder needs money.

• Like 2

If you can name a breed of sporting dog, there's a rescue organization dedicated to finding homes for them.  Whether they were lost, abandoned, whatever, they're out there.  Most are familiar with the breeds they take in and don't mind sending them to hunting homes, some even prefer it. 

But, buyer beware, sometimes these fellas were given up with good reason and you might be inheriting damaged goods.  Meet and greets and interviews with the rescue group are always a good idea. 

Our greyhound was a rescue and he's worked out better than I ever could have imagined.  It took some time and a lot of love but I've never owned a better dog. 

Currently looking at female Brittany, filled up some paperwork and we shall see. Love the GSPs but they are so hyper, kinda afraid they will get bored since I still have to work. Wife is at home all the time and with fenced yard (.25 acres) so that kinda helps. Still looking though....

Guys adopting is a touchy subject. The dogs came from somewhere you don't know. You won't know the bloodline, strain or if any traits are "set" from proper breeding.

I know someone will say their rescue is the best ever but seriously they aren't winning competitions. They aren't fetching big money in stud fees.

The good breeders which normally sell very few dogs have lots of money n heartache tied up in such a venture, hence the cost.

GSPs are hyper as babies,, some are anyway. I run horseback type dogs and they mind perfectly. You just gotta know how to handle them.

The branding thing, if on the whole side is certainly uncalled for but some of those dogs are turned loose and sometimes disappear a bit. A guy could identify em pretty easy when he sees em in woods. I'm by no means condoning the branding or discouraging the adoption, just not the way I'd go.

Look for a field trial reject as another option in a hunting dog. Hounds can be too loose or rough for one, not enough for another. Bird dogs run too big, too small, etc. they can be had for a steal at times, are normally from great bloodlines and may be perfect for ya. And they're trained.

My husband has always adopted from pounds. Mostly bird dogs. He says he would do it again since he has had good luck with them all. I believe over the many years he has had 7 adoptions.

He is waiting to hear on a springer now.

Guys adopting is a touchy subject. The dogs came from somewhere you don't know. You won't know the bloodline, strain or if any traits are "set" from proper breeding.

I know someone will say their rescue is the best ever but seriously they aren't winning competitions. They aren't fetching big money in stud fees.

The good breeders which normally sell very few dogs have lots of money n heartache tied up in such a venture, hence the cost.

GSPs are hyper as babies,, some are anyway. I run horseback type dogs and they mind perfectly. You just gotta know how to handle them.

The branding thing, if on the whole side is certainly uncalled for but some of those dogs are turned loose and sometimes disappear a bit. A guy could identify em pretty easy when he sees em in woods. I'm by no means condoning the branding or discouraging the adoption, just not the way I'd go.

Look for a field trial reject as another option in a hunting dog. Hounds can be too loose or rough for one, not enough for another. Bird dogs run too big, too small, etc. they can be had for a steal at times, are normally from great bloodlines and may be perfect for ya. And they're trained.

Some valid points . We were just looking for a lazy, stinky dog to hang out with us,we didn't have any intentions of working him .

• Like 2

If ur worried about getting "someone else's problem", which very well could be the case, try fostering the pup/dog first to see if it is a good fit for the family, lifestyle, and purpose for the animal. It'll save both u and the dog a ton of hassle, aggravation and heart break

Petfinder is a great site.  I've gotten two dogs from them.   Pure bred Cocker Spaniels.   they weren't hunting dogs by any means, just good house dogs

if you want a certain breed, just go to google and type in 'breed name' rescue...example 'brittany rescue'..you'll find a bunch of potential dogs.