Stand Question

DirtTime

Post a map........LOL! Good one WNY!

I have a few natural ground blinds I made last summer and last fall to hunt different locations on a given time of day/wind/etc. I want something so I can still get out on light rain or mist days. Something with a water proof roof. I really am leaning towards a ladder stand. They are stable enought to help with a fear of heights.

The only reason I was thinking bought blind is even though it's not a great idea, I can move it. The deer in the area ar used to people, ATV's, tractors... and they even use our camp as a toilet in the summer. LOL. So I doubt movint it would bother them.

Left to right in front of me?...Most of the natural blnds are like that. Not sure why that would matter though. Would love to hear why this would be relevant. They do move in the evening from a small swamp and the bedding to a pond. The pond is on land I don't have permission to hunt. YET! Now I will have to ask.

Why wouldnt you post a map? You dont need labels on there for roads, coordinates, etc. Ive posted ariel maps of my spots before with no issues.

The more I thought about this, if stuck with one stand, I agree with the funnel area.  You could burn out bedding if too close and it sounds like you won't have a lot of options to spread your sits around the property.  Good luck.

Precisely. Funnels will be more likely to take advantage of transient deer or deer who travel through but don't bed on the property.

Bedding areas are not high frequency hunt spots. You can do it here and there at most, but after a while it becomes a deer desert after overhunting. 

Funnels take advantage of physical travel routes rather than the deer sign. Sort of like hunting the terrain in hill country rather than the deer sign.

Back when had private property in the family to hunt, we usually went in a three person group in single-seat ladder stands (moveable ones) in an L set up. 

Hot seat was on the corner - watched trails going to a natural spring along a woods road.  One was a bit further in the woods along another old woods road by another game trail, and the last was on the woods edge watching the bottom closer to the spring and the apple orchard. The deer had a 2-3 day rotation of which fields or the orchard they would go to - different bedding for each on different sides of the highway that split the property.

There, the deer liked to take a morning drink of water, so set up on on trails to water source.

Most of the funnels are small stream and crick beds meeting, and a few nice valleys that open to a small swamp. No open fields near the areas I have permission to hunt right now. Most of it's dense and shots would never be past 125 yds. Seeing I will be using a rifle and not a bow, I have a few more options. I really want to set up where a small stream enters a swamp.

I have looked at satellite maps before. The thick canopy doesn't allow a good view of what's in the woods. So posting a pic would only show tree tops, not the swamp, the streams or the creek. You can't even see my buddies parents house or driveway from a sat map.

I wish I was able to get a few more stands, but not this year. One ladder stand is all that's in the cards right now. I am going to get a few camo tarps for my natural ground blinds, and throw some burlap ( or even some cheap camo fabric ) over that to help quiet the rain hitting the tarp.

I appreciate the advice you all have given. I know it's hard with only one stand and not being able to see the layout.