Bow Hunting - Do you prefer to use a ground blind or tree stand?

jrussell

you need 2 people to set them up

I have never needed any one other than my self to put up and or move my ladder stands...and some have arm rests and foot rests so they aren't small. All one needs is 2 stakes.an extra ratchet strap or two or good length of rope.... a hammer two short pieces of rope...All stands now are clipped together so no worries a separating...Oh boy had that happen once...and to anchor the base  you hammer in the stakes tie the legs to the stakes loose enough that they can swing up as you walk your ladder to the tree but not so loose as to pop away from the stake. To secure wrap strap or rope around the tree and start to climb(after securing the tree brace....above brace secure ladder with the strap/rope....get out the second one and climb secure again...then once at the seat secure the seat are with the strap that came with the stand....you can the if you want remove the other straps...I not only strap the stand at seat but I also chain and padlock it ...so the other straps aren't needed

I hate hunting out of pop up ground blinds. I can't see the sky. I can't see what is in the trees. When I am hunting, I want to watch everything.

I'm not sure about seeing the sky or what is in the trees when it comes to deer hunting ....lol. In fact pop-ups might even help with "focus". But what does concern me is "tunnel vision". I have been nailed so many times by those deer that forsake the trails and come walking in from behind. Bucks are notorious for this. They tend to travel patterns that run perpendicular to trails so they can scent-check as many different trails as possible. At least that is the pattern they maintain in our area during the seeking phase of the rut.

Opening up shooting windows in the front as well as the rear kind of makes all your movements look like highly visible, eye-catching, silhouettes. Does that make them useless? .... heck no. But it is just one limitation that I try to keep in mind.

I generally build a pile of natural ground blinds out of existing materials. I use them season after season so they are not some new eye-sore on the landscape to disturb the deer. I always have visibility in a 360 degree fashion with a high wall of brush and debris to get behind regardless of where the deer come from. But this year I will also be using pop-ups too when a new spot suddenly turns up. I need that flexibility.

Pop up blind for me from now on , just too old to climb a tree , I just gave 2 good climbers away. My new one is a plenty big 8' + x8' + x 7' tall No problem drawing a bow or aiming a rifle , Had deer walk up to it 15' away last year eating for quite some time. Never Spooked.

As I get older, a pop-up blind sounds like a good idea. Ditto

I use ladders, hang ons, climbers and own one pop up my daughter uses in gun.

Yesterday I hung three more hang ons, yes VERY late for me.... And it was 80 plus with high humidity , not fun. I noticed one thing Im not going as high anymore with these. Age I guess.

As for ladders I use one man 15 footers , i like these more and more. I have no trouble carrying them in and setting up myself. This year I moved two of them a couple hundred yards, I just throw them over my shoulder like lumber ( pad your shoulder first!).

If it's a shorter move in more open hardwoods I carry them upright like you would any ladder , beam against shoulder , dip knees grab a lower rung stand and walk.

I had one ladder where last year I had a couple dozen deer within 20 yards over the season , I can't recall getting busted once and I often draw on deer just for practice .

I prefer to place them inside triple trees or at least two trunkers.

Good luck !