Small Game Harvest Thread

Elmo

What did you get mike? Looks like all kinds of goodies

I think it would do more good if I don't itemize. I am hoping more and more hunters start to understand the way non-hunters perceive hunting and hunters. Pre-internet, if the big outdoor publications and outdoor columnists were putting more emphasis on eating wild game meat as an element of hunting, we would have more public support today and anti-hunting narratives would have been given more scrutiny. We actually arrived at a point which these narratives include the premise that hunters do not eat wild game - and that premise is actually believed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Other than another drive or two in 8G, we're done with deer for the year. We've got our meat, & there's so few deer around camp (8N), that we closed deer season early down there. No DMP'S filled there (intentionally). Eat it DEC!

Excited to be back to squirrels! Got this one there yesterday.

post-1188-0-10169900-1449541413_thumb.jp

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 2

Good thread. Like seeing you guys taking some small game.

I used to enjoy it on LI, but it is to much of a hassle now, and so much huntable habitat is gone now as well.

I do have grouse up at the camp in Chenango county, but I usually "hunt" them while on my way to do something else. Lots of work, so the non deer season is filled with mowing that, clearing this, yada yada. I have flushed a few grouse on these excursions, but never have got a shot off, lol.

Oh, and no grey squirrels, just red and chipmunks. Got to keep those numbers down near the camp, but not good eating, ha.

• Like 1

Nice bunny for the freezer They are so easy to clean.

Nice rabbit. Was he still full of the lice they have all summer? It's been so warm, that I wouldn't doubt it. We're going to start hunting them next week. It's easier when there's a little snow, but I'm still looking forward to it.

They are easy to clean. Have you ever seen the knife-free method? It's amazing.

Edited by Skillet

Nice rabbit. Was he still full of the lice they have all summer? It's been so warm, that I wouldn't doubt it. We're going to start hunting them next week. It's easier when there's a little snow, but I'm still looking forward to it.

They are easy to clean. Have you ever seen the knife-free method? It's amazing.

No lice no worms. That's what I meant about easy to clean, no knife needed. Pulling off the fur is like taking off a sock too.

On Sunday, if I was loaded with shot instead of slugs for deer, I had a can't miss scenario for a squirrel. 

It walked up to me, looking at me occasionally, jumped on a log and walked up to 1 foot away from the business end of my barrel. 

I think it knew I was deer hunting and not squirrel hunting.  Probably won't see him again in two weeks and the deer will be back.

I don't know how to show you, but I'll try to explain it.

1: Hold the rabbit out in front of you, holding both front feet in one hand, so the body is hanging outstretched.

2: With the free hand, grasp the ribcage as far up under the armpits as you can.

3: Now, take the other hand, & encircle the whole body, making sure to have your hands as high up on the chest as you can get them.

4: Squeeze the ribcage of the rabbit as hard as you can, until you hear the ribs cracking & a bunch of gurgling / crunching inside the chest cavity. (This is the diaphragm ripping, & heart / lungs separating from the cavity walls).

5: Keeping a firm grip, start to work your hands down the body, towards the hind end. (Use a hand over hand motion, like you are trying to force frosting out of a cake-bag). You should hear popping / squishing noises as this happens.

6: When you reach a spot low in the abdomen, it will become hard to make any more progress. This is when you really grasp it tightly, and give one big final squeeze towards the rear.

7: If you've done it properly, everything will now come shooting out of the rabbit's ass. Heart, lungs, intestines. All of it.

8: You can then put the gutted rabbit in your game bag, without it bleeding everywhere, to be skinned later. When you do skin it, you'll see it's as clean inside, as if you'd field dressed it the traditional way.

After a couple times, you'll be amazed how easy & fast it is.

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 2

I don't know how to show you, but I'll try to explain it.

1: Hold the rabbit out in front of you, holding both front feet in one hand, so the body is hanging outstretched.

2: With the free hand, grasp the ribcage as far up under the armpits as you can.

3: Now, take the other hand, & encircle the whole body, making sure to have your hands as high up on the chest as you can get them.

4: Squeeze the ribcage of the rabbit as hard as you can, until you hear the ribs cracking & a bunch of gurgling / crunching inside the chest cavity. (This is the diaphragm ripping, & heart / lungs separating from the cavity walls).

5: Keeping a firm grip, start to work your hands down the body, towards the hind end. (Use a hand over hand motion, like you are trying to force frosting out of a cake-bag). You should hear popping / squishing noises as this happens.

6: When you reach a spot low in the abdomen, it will become hard to make any more progress. This is when you really grasp it tightly, and give one big final squeeze towards the rear.

7: If you've done it properly, everything will now come shooting out of the rabbit's ass. Heart, lungs, intestines. All of it.

8: You can then put the gutted rabbit in your game bag, without it bleeding everywhere, to be skinned later. When you do skin it, you'll see it's as clean inside, as if you'd field dressed it the traditional way.

After a couple times, you'll be amazed how easy & fast it is.

I feel like this should be one of those jokes on fb for people with no common sence...I don't know to try it or not to lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk