12 vs 20 gauge

The 12 gauge offers a lot more pellets in the shell.  Those extra pellets may help to put a couple more in the head and neck when you shoot.  That could make all the difference in your success.  Some guys still prefer a 10 gauge for turkey for that same reason.

If the birds you hunt are usually close, it's not that important.  But at longer ranges, pattern density is very important.

• Like 1

Not so, AT...

Theoretically, a full choke gun of ANY gauge has appx the same size pattern.

I was always under the impression that because the 20 has less powder that it threw tighter patterns because of it. Just because you put a full choke on doesn't mean you'll get the same pattern in different gauges. But I could be way off about both. 

The size of the pattern is a function of the choke, which is the amount of constriction below cylinder bore of any given gauge...Of course there is variation from gun to gun, , but in theory at any given distance, say 30 yards, a shotgun of any given choke whether it be .410, 28, 20, 16, 12 or 10 should throw a pattern of appx. the same diameter...So say we have 6 guns of the above gauges all  modified ( or whatever) choke...they should all throw a pattern say 36 inches in diameter... The larger bores, because they throw a HEAVIER shot charge, ( IE more pellets of equal size) will place MORE pellets on target..That's the only real advantage...More pellets on target means more shot striking the target and effectiveness at longer range..Powder charges have little to do with pattern density or size ...At shotgun velocities, from 1100 fps to 1400 fps, VELOCITY has little to do with it...It's all about having more shot in the pattern at any given range..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 3

I use a 12ga Mossberg 835 ulti mag, with 3.5's. More pellets = more head / neck hits, like VJP said. Use as much gun as you can comfortably handle. If I bought another turkey gun, it would be a 10.

The   10 gauge doesn't have any real ballistic advantage over the 3.5 12 gauge because the shot charges are essentially the same..  I haven't studied the stats lately, but last I knew the 10 gauge mag load was 2 1/4 Oz. of shot, same as the 3.5" 12...

10 gauge repeaters are HEAVY...If I owned one I'd have to hire someone to carry it around for me.. I know several guys who have owned them and ALL of them sold them because they were too damned heavy, the ammo cost too much, and they weren't much more effective than a 3" 12 gauge...

Since the development of the 3.5" 12 gauge, the 10 gauge has become a dinosaur...

• Like 2

I know a guy who strictly turkey hunts with a 410, yep I said 410.  He swears it patterns a lot tighter than any larger gauge.   I cant remember the last time he did not fill his tags either.  He is a die hard turkey hunter, obsessed may be a better word choice.  To each your own I guess.

I have no doubt that a skilled turkey hunter could be successful with a .410, as long as  he knows its effective range and does not take shots beyond it.. I've done a little turkey hunting myself..About 40 years worth  in 6 different states and one Canadian Province..

As far as  his gun patterning tighter than any larger bore, I'd like to have him show up at the patterning board with his .410  and a pocket full of money...<<smile>>....

The .410 also has very few pellets in it's 3" case when you are using #4 shot, or even #6 shot.  To kill turkey with a .410, they have to be close, like 25 yards or less, just to keep pattern density acceptable.

Maybe he's using slugs?

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 1

Yup, he's shooting them close, for sure...

As I said, I don't doubt a skilled turkey hunter could do well with a .410, as long as he calls them so close that you can smell grasshoppers on their breath..

I have a friend who fills his two Florida tags and his two Georgia tags every year with a recurve bow.. He uses a custom blind and his shots average 10 yards...

Is a 12 gauge that much better than a 20 gauge when it comes to turkey hunting or is the argument between the two just old opinion and hot air?

The 20 Ga. is definitely capable, especially with 3" shells, but the the 12Ga just has way more a$$ with the same loads.

Good choice, Born...

I have a number of shotguns, so I have the luxury of choosing different guns for different jobs, and I do truly love my 20 gauge guns and use them a lot for small game and upland birds..

However, if I were to have ONE shotgun, it would be a 12 gauge, because of it's versatility...It will do anything the smaller guns will do, plus a whole lot more, simply by matching the load and the choke to the job at hand..

• Like 2

Good choice, Born...

I have a number of shotguns, so I have the luxury of choosing different guns for different jobs, and I do truly love my 20 gauge guns and use them a lot for small game and upland birds..

However, if I were to have ONE shotgun, it would be a 12 gauge, because of it's versatility...It will do anything the smaller guns will do, plus a whole lot more, simply by matching the load and the choke to the job at hand..

That's what I was thinking after reading all of the comments