Do I Need A Jig?

Five Seasons

Years ago, I invested in a multi-fletcher. I make and maintain all my own arrows. Have done so for decades.

I suppose you can just "stick" it back on, but you may be setting yourself up for sending a few more arrows through the fence gap ..... lol.

Also, I don't know how much helix or offset you have on your fletching, but vanes really want to stay straight unless being held with a jig-clamp. It may not be as easy as you are thinking to get that vane stuck back on and actually get it to stay there. Also, the old glue should be completely removed, and the shaft cleaned before trying to glue on a new vane.

• Like 1

set it aside if you have enough to get your through the season or take it to a shop now.  you can't just glue it back on the way it was, as Doc said.  even with a jig that fletches one vane at a time it's hard to go back and just do one.  I've got an EZ-fletch that can if the vanes were put on with it originally.  if you bowhunt and shoot enough it's one of those things you eventually can put to use.  I've got an arrow saw on the list now.  easier and cheaper to buy my own arrows and cut them but it takes a lot of arrows to recoup the cost of a $200 arrow saw.  something like the EZ-fletch is $50.

only other suggestion would be to quick fletch it if you don't have a jig or don't want to take it to a shop

I've used those before.  they tend to get brittle if you leave them in too long.  they worked alright though.  I used NAP ones.  I take and stick the odd fletch were I want to index the vanes with the head and so it shrinks to the same resting spot from shaft to shaft.

• Like 1

set it aside if you have enough to get your through the season or take it to a shop now.  you can't just glue it back on the way it was, as Doc said.  even with a jig that fletches one vane at a time it's hard to go back and just do one.  I've got an EZ-fletch that can if the vanes were put on with it originally.  if you bowhunt and shoot enough it's one of those things you eventually can put to use.  I've got an arrow saw on the list now.  easier and cheaper to buy my own arrows and cut them but it takes a lot of arrows to recoup the cost of a $200 arrow saw.  something like the EZ-fletch is $50.

i've got plenty of arrows, just like to have enough to make my trips down range less frequent. I see the recommend jigs do go for around $50. i guess that's not too bad considering the local shop dinged me $12 for the glue. Robin hooded another vane off last night so I might just bite the bullet.

i've got plenty of arrows, just like to have enough to make my trips down range less frequent. I see the recommend jigs do go for around $50. i guess that's not too bad considering the local shop dinged me $12 for the glue. Robin hooded another vane off last night so I might just bite the bullet.

i buy blazer vanes in bulk.  glue just get it as you need it.  using new fresh glue helps.  shake or knead it for a long while before use and follow mfg directions for use.  everybody has their preference.  i use a vane stripper first and then acetone at the very end for a little bit of stubborn stuff to prep the shafts.  use different glue for shafts versus vanes.  quick shrink fletches are nice but expensive in the long run.  get the max helical EZ-fletch mini if you do.  for hunting setups or targets within 60 yards helical will get the shaft spinning and help accuracy.  i square and glue inserts first so i can fletch the shafts so the vanes are indexed with the head I'm using.

my best advice yet.... start shooting at different spots.  kids are all into this bright colored duct tape now.  stuff works great for making your own dots on a target.

actually i lied..... shoot fewer arrows too.   when you shoot a lot of arrows at one time you tired slightly and form may change.  that time to walk to the target and pull arrows is resting time.  best practice for a bowhunter is shooting every shot as a cold first shot.

set it aside if you have enough to get your through the season or take it to a shop now. you can't just glue it back on the way it was, as Doc said. even with a jig that fletches one vane at a time it's hard to go back and just do one. I've got an EZ-fletch that can if the vanes were put on with it originally. if you bowhunt and shoot enough it's one of those things you eventually can put to use. I've got an arrow saw on the list now. easier and cheaper to buy my own arrows and cut them but it takes a lot of arrows to recoup the cost of a $200 arrow saw. something like the EZ-fletch is $50.

forget the arrow saw and get the $25 little chop saw with the carbon wheel at Harbor Freight. 8,000 RPM works like a champ!

I've used those before.  they tend to get brittle if you leave them in too long.  they worked alright though.  I used NAP ones.  I take and stick the odd fletch were I want to index the vanes with the head and so it shrinks to the same resting spot from shaft to shaft.

I agree they do get brittle but work great in a pinch or if you don't have a jig

• Like 1

actually i lied..... shoot fewer arrows too.   when you shoot a lot of arrows at one time you tired slightly and form may change.  that time to walk to the target and pull arrows is resting time.  best practice for a bowhunter is shooting every shot as a cold first shot.

I don't consider 20 arrows excessive.

I have an arrow straightener for my aluminum arrows that can also double to be used as this arrow inspector (similar to ..... http://www.eders.com/grayling-perfect-arrow-straightener.html?&gclid=CNmopbqp_McCFVORHwodd4kGtg

)

And yes, I do use it to rotate arrows to look for run-out problems, bends, and misalignment of inserts and broadheads.

if you buy shafts from somewhere else or ebay and get them to cut them for free then some basic items help.... that's one of them.  put a white piece of paper under it and put a fine dot on the paper.  you can get or find a magnifying glass to better help see any wobble off the dot.  before that, get a couple arrow prep tools; one to score the inside of the shaft and the squaring device by G5.  for insert glue I've used Bob Smith Industries (BSI) pink bottle and some others with good results.  Q-tips and a little acetone work well to clean the shafts.  like I said before inserts first and then vanes.

For what its worth Belo, I never liked the mini.  Had one and tossed it.  It was a pain.  I have a cheap plastic version of the bitz (forget the brand name) but it works great for fletching vanes and feathers, 3 or 4, offset and with a helical.  More time consuming when fletching than the AZ mini, but cleaner and more options.

Be careful or you will end up buying a saw next and doing all of your own fletching.  Its actually fun at times.

Also, get the loc-tite gel.  I never have loose feathers or vanes and you can buy it at home depot or lowes.

interesting and thanks for the feedback. seemed the mini got really good reviews so that's discouraging.

It will do the job, but not as versatile as the grayling, especially if you want to play with different fletching set ups, which you will when you start doing your own fletching.

I would give you the mini if I hadn't tossed when cleaning out the shop room.  I bought it used on AT so it was only a $15 loss.