Another school shooting...

Deerthug

And yet another shooting in a "Gun-free Zone" at an Oregon Community College with reports of 10 killed and 20 injured. Seems like these zones are not working very well to protect anyone from wackjobs but rather acting like magnets to attract them. Prayers and thoughts to the families of the victims.

• Like 4

Agreed, it is a shame how they are disarming people these days. It could have ended better if some staff or students were armed.

Remember this story about the Appalachian School of Law shootings in Grundy, VA?

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/17/us/3-slain-at-law-school-student-is-held.html

P.S. I used a NYT link to shut down any trolls who question the story

Edited by wooffer

Agreed, it is a shame how they are disarming people these days. It could have ended better if some staff or students were armed.

Remember this story about the Appalachian School of Law shootings in Grundy, VA?

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/17/us/3-slain-at-law-school-student-is-held.html

P.S. I used a NYT link to shut down any trolls who question the story

Sorry bud but the NYT are no longer a trustworthy source after they snuck into a private funeral for my cousin after being asked to give the family privacy then they had the gall to completely make up quotes supposedly said by my cousin's older brother. Far as I am concerned I hope that paper burns to the ground. Metaphorically speaking of course.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was listening to a report on the radio home. The talking head made they observation that the gun-free zone was obviously no deterrent to someone looking to do harm. He wasn't trying to make a political point. It sounded like an off the cuff remark. Amazing that people don't see the inherent problem with such zones.

steve863....pull foot out of mouth then speak.... Umpqua community college is a posted gun free zone.  

Maybe you should pull your head out of somewhere?  Read the laws of that state.  The college prohibits firearms with the exception of those that are permitted to carry by law.

http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-partial-list-of-206-college-campuses.html?m=1

And how do we screen for people who are just plain old bad-to-the-bone ?

Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible.

None of us want to read these stories, and I'm sure most of us feel for the victims and their families.

But I'm sure none of us want to lose our gun rights or give the government any more control in our lives.

It's a complex situation, with no easy or judicious solutions.

• Like 1

Of course it is not possible. That was my point. Screening would likely be ineffective , especially for someone who is not already officially nuts and on the record. Had there been armed campus security, or a student carry policy, the shooter may not have felt so emboldened, or a lot less people might have died.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

problem is they are going to figure out that keeping guns out of the hands of bad ppl is impossible and try to melt down all they can confiscate....I'd think those measure where beyond attempt just a few years ago...not now. I fear the power ppl are working diligantly to have some sort of world power(UNis actively trying)...there are a whole lot of things I thought I'd never see, but here they are.We are breeding weak ppl...weak in mind and spirit...I can not understand why such a person on a college campus would have had time to stop and ask a question before shooting....Why would no one have attempted to jump him? Oh I forgot it's all about self preservation turn away or be noticed...Everything is non of our business anymore...

It is true the college was not a "Gun Free Zone".  It did have a policy that seems to prohibit firearms on campus, with it's exstensive verbage against all types of self defense options.  However, the one little phrase in the policy, that may have gone unnoticed by many with a permit to carry,  "except as expressly authorized by law or college regulations",  allows concealed carry by those with a permit.

My question then becomes, why was there not a single student in the shooter's area that had a firearm to defend lives with?

Was the general feeling on campus one of hostility towards concealed carry?  Were there unspoken penalties for doing so?  Was the college generally hostile towards it?  I hope we hear from some students on the campus who might shed some light on these questions.

Oregon passed an anti-gun law (SB941) not too long ago that contained the language:

I guess the shooter didn't read the law.

New Mental Health Disqualification

1. Under ORS 426.133, a court that orders outpatient treatment may prohibit a person from purchasing or possessing a firearm during the period of assisted outpatient treatment if in the opinion of the court, there is a reasonable likelihood the person would constitute a danger to self or others or to the community as a result of the person’s mental or psychological state demonstrated by either past behavior or involvement in unlawful

violence or threats of violence, or by reason of a single incident of extreme, violent, unlawful conduct.

2. The court that orders outpatient treatment and prohibits a person from purchasing or possessing a firearm during the period of assisted outpatient treatment shall deliver a copy of the order to the county sheriff, who shall enter the information into LEDS.

3. Individuals subject to these orders will be included in the FBI NICS Index under ORS 181.740.

4. Important note: Relief from prohibition for mental health reasons must be obtained through the Psychiatric Security Review Board (PSRB) under ORS 166.274 in order to regain rights at both the state and federal levels.

Edited by wooffer

It is true the college was not a "Gun Free Zone".  It did have a policy that seems to prohibit firearms on campus, with it's exstensive verbage against all types of self defense options.  However, the one little phrase in the policy, that may have gone unnoticed by many with a permit to carry,  "except as expressly authorized by law or college regulations",  allows concealed carry by those with a permit.

My question then becomes, why was there not a single student in the shooter's area that had a firearm to defend lives with?

Was the general feeling on campus one of hostility towards concealed carry?  Were there unspoken penalties for doing so?  Was the college generally hostile towards it?  I hope we hear from some students on the campus who might shed some light on these questions.

I don't think that the average gun owner (especially in a rural area such as where this took place) is against concealed carry. I would tend to believe that carrying a weapon on a day-to day basis would draw a lot of unwanted attention from school administration and officials, would be an inconvenience, and most people have the "it will never happen to me" mentality, so they leave the handgun at home.