Meet Fleur; my secret weapon

sampotter

Here is Fleur, my 3.5 month old black lab. I got her specifically for shed antler hunting. So far training has gone really well. I started by just tossing an antler 10 feet or so and have now progressed to placing antlers ahead of time or throwing them when she is busy finding a different one, thereby forcing her to find them with her nose. Its amazing to watch her work in a big zig-zag pattern across the wind and then Wham!, she smells the antler and follows the scent trail right to them and then brings them back to me. Can't wait for the real thing.

post-68-131455396184_thumb.jpg

post-68-131455396196_thumb.jpg

post-68-131455396203_thumb.jpg

I've kind of used the DVD info and winged it at the same time. I started by doing short retrieves with small antlers. After awhile I started tossing the antlers into tall grass where she couldn't see them and had to use her nose. It has progressed to me placing antlers. Today I put out sheds in an open hayfield I had never used before and used rubber gloves as well. We went out and I gave her the "Search" command. She found the 2 that were fresher no problem. The 3rd was a little bleached and I had to work her in closer to find it. After that I threw them as far as I could while holding her. She knows at this point what general direction they are in, but still has to use her nose to find them. I spend about 1/2 hour every single day doing this.