How to stay warm

Marion

No matter what I try for some reason I can't stay warm. I'm down in 3s and today I had my long johns on (bottoms) then my camo pants. Upper had long johns, then long sleeve shirt over that, then short sleeve shirt, then a hoodie, and finally my camo fleece. Why on earth can't I get warm? What is everyone wearing so they don't freeze their male parts off?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

is it possible you're just a sissy pants and will never be warm?? Lol I'm kidding, I'm always cold too. I've found a thin merino wool base layer is awesome and then layers as you've said. Carry in a couple so you don't sweat. No cotton anywhere ever, it stays wet. Also a piece of carpet on your stand makes a huge difference keeping your feet warm. Make sure your feet have some room in your boots too
  • Like 1

everyone i talk to thinks i am crazy for buying the expensive sitka stuff... guess what I am not too cold anymore. spend he money on good gear and you wont be cold...even the outfitter wool stuff with the wind block from cabelas works great. good gear is some of the best money i have even spent. I hate early season hunting and generally do not have much time so i tend to hunt later when its cold and have learned to spend the money on good stuff. I also worked deck on winter fishing boats....you learn real quick the cheap layers make better rags then insulation

i totally agree. Spend more money on clothes than you do on guns or bows, you won't regret it
  • Like 1

This is easy... You CAN'T.  You can maximize comfort from all the above tricks and ideas.  However, it will come down to a point where it really is mind over matter.  Tough it and Fight it all the way.  We all get cold, I know I do anyway.  A thermos full of hot beverage definitely helps.

• Like 2

One thing that nobody has mentioned, and that helps in controlling sweat as you walk is to get yourself into better shape physically. I only started paying close attention to that the last few years, out of necessity, due to the mountainous terrain I frequently hunt now. It was not so critical on the mostly flat-land I hunted prior years.

You might even get more chances at deer on you walks if you can move at a slow steady pace, rather than trudging along wheezing and out of breath, then stopping for long, frequent periods to catch your breath. I cruised right up on a four-pointer yesterday, and could have shot him in his bed if he had met my harvest criteria.

Taking off the hat, gloves and opening the jacket and bib zippers on the walks also helps minimize sweat by allowing the heat generated by walking to escape, as does shedding layers of fat, another reason to get in better shape.

As far as staying warm on stand, regardless of your physical condition, A good wool hat, with ear covers and a face-mask under it works for me in the coldest conditions. For the feet, I can get by most days with those black rubber, army "micky" boots, but I use cheap China-made arctic pacs, rated at 60 below when it is extra cold.

For the hands, I just picked up a muff from Bass-Pro that holds a chemical warmer in a separate internal pocket. That thing worked awesome the last couple mornings when the temps were in the 20's. Using that, It is just like having your hands over a fire to keep them warm on the stand. That heat seems to enter the blood in your hands and flows thru the whole body.

• Like 1

is it possible you're just a sissy pants and will never be warm?? Lol I'm kidding, I'm always cold too. I've found a thin merino wool base layer is awesome and then layers as you've said. Carry in a couple so you don't sweat. No cotton anywhere ever, it stays wet. Also a piece of carpet on your stand makes a huge difference keeping your feet warm. Make sure your feet have some room in your boots too

you may be on to something. The year I got the really bad frostbite on my hands it was blowing close to 10-15 below and all I had were my warm weather gloves and a fleece and some layers under that. Needless to say as time has gone on it appears I've gotten soft in my mid twenties. God only knows how much of a pansy I'll be when I'm an old man. I can only hope they make new ways to keep me warm lol

One thing that nobody has mentioned, and that helps in controlling sweat as you walk is to get yourself into better shape physically. I only started paying close attention to that the last few years, out of necessity, due to the mountainous terrain I frequently hunt now. It was not so critical on the mostly flat-land I hunted prior years.

You might even get more chances at deer on you walks if you can move at a slow steady pace, rather than trudging along wheezing and out of breath, then stopping for long, frequent periods to catch your breath. I cruised right up on a four-pointer yesterday, and could have shot him in his bed if he had met my harvest criteria.

Taking off the hat, gloves and opening the jacket and bib zippers on the walks also helps minimize sweat by allowing the heat generated by walking to escape, as does shedding layers of fat, another reason to get in better shape.

As far as staying warm on stand, regardless of your physical condition, A good wool hat, with ear covers and a face-mask under it works for me in the coldest conditions. For the feet, I can get by most days with those black rubber, army "micky" boots, but I use cheap China-made arctic pacs, rated at 60 below when it is extra cold.

For the hands, I just picked up a muff from Bass-Pro that holds a chemical warmer in a separate internal pocket. That thing worked awesome the last couple mornings when the temps were in the 20's. Using that, It is just like having your hands over a fire to keep them warm on the stand. That heat seems to enter the blood in your hands and flows thru the whole body.

First my family, then my girlfriend, and now you telling me I need to lose my gut, how is it that everyone knows I've got a spare tire? I guess it may officially be time to hit the gym again.

Here's what I do, and I use it literally all winter. I'm in the USCG, so I'm always out in the cold, then I go sit in a deer stand and try not to freeze haha.

Layering is the only way to survive. Your first layer needs to be poly pro, as it wicks moisture away. I've had great success even in sub-zero temperatures with the Under Armour Base 3.0 and 4.0 layers(the 4.0 is for colder temps).

Next layer is your insulating layer. What I use at work and for hunting is what we call a bunny suit. It's a 1 piece fleece layer that traps in your body heat. This is crucial. Here is an example of one, I'm sure if you google dry suit layers you can find more:

http://www.divers-supply.com/scuba/wetsuits/body-glove-undergarment-w-polartec.html#product_tabs_description_tabbed

Mine at work is really thick and the one I bought for hunting is thinner, but still works awesome.

The final step is to have a garment of your choosing that blocks wind and rain. At work I use a dry suit but hunting I wear whatever the conditions call for that day. Many times it is a simple as a pair of non-insulated Carhart bib overalls and a good jacket. I can sit on the stand for hours like this and not get cold. At work all we have is a dry suit over the 2 layers, and my body never gets cold even going 40 knots + on the bow of a boat in freezing cold temperatures.

For my face I wear a balacava that is camo. Something like this one, it needs to have neoprene around the face part. I've tried too many balaclavas to count and this one is the best around, I have multiples of them:

http://t.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10881677&oldkeywrd=balacava

For hands I do a 2 glove system when gun hunting, with a thin pair of the under Armour gloves under heavier gloves. Not super happy with their liner gloves, but they will have to work until I find a different set. Also, the muff things you can strap around your waist and put hand warmers in May be the best $25 I've spent in a long time, I used it a ton this weekend

For feet I do a 2 layer system as well, with a pair of liner socks then good wool socks in insulated boots. I have poor circulation in my feet, so they still get kinda cold but I deal with it.

Sorry it was so much typing, but because of my profession and my love of hunting I'm always trying new ways to stay warm. I'm going to get a Sitka jacket and/or bibs once I save up some money for it.

Good luck!

• Like 1

dont forget when hunting in the am that your body has been lying in a warm bed with resting heartbeat for hours. then you creep into the stand which even tho slow is the first activity you had so far that day. by the time you get situated and your mind at ease since you are amped to be out you will stay kinda warm for at least 30 +minutes BUT slowly start to re-layer because after an hour your chill will set in and you dont want to be shivering at sunrise

• Like 1

My buddies make fun of me.....I used to freeze, even if was 50 degrees out sitting still and not moving I would get cold. I have made it a point every year to purchase something that will make me warmer. Now I wear 2000 Insulate Boots with Thermocells and wool socks. UnderArmor cold gear top and bottom first layer. I have a pair of very thick Fleece (polyester not cotton) pants and I wear them under my insulated hunting pants. On  my top half I walk in with my UA cold gear base layer and my hunting coat. I put the rest of my top layers in my back pack. When I get to the stand I put my Cabela's heated vest (with 3 extra batteries) on over the UA cold gear, then a very thick fleece, sometimes another layer and then my hunting coat. When it is going to be colder than 25 degrees I roll up my very insulated coveralls and attach them to my backpack. If I get cold with all that other gear on I jump in the coveralls.....and I would never admit it to my buddies......but sometimes I am still cold......I can't imagine they don't all freeze to death with what they wear....Probably why they are still hunting by 8:30 and I am in the stand until it is time for lunch....

My buddies make fun of me.....I used to freeze, even if was 50 degrees out sitting still and not moving I would get cold. I have made it a point every year to purchase something that will make me warmer. Now I wear 2000 Insulate Boots with Thermocells and wool socks. UnderArmor cold gear top and bottom first layer. I have a pair of very thick Fleece (polyester not cotton) pants and I wear them under my insulated hunting pants. On my top half I walk in with my UA cold gear base layer and my hunting coat. I put the rest of my top layers in my back pack. When I get to the stand I put my Cabela's heated vest (with 3 extra batteries) on over the UA cold gear, then a very thick fleece, sometimes another layer and then my hunting coat. When it is going to be colder than 25 degrees I roll up my very insulated coveralls and attach them to my backpack. If I get cold with all that other gear on I jump in the coveralls.....and I would never admit it to my buddies......but sometimes I am still cold......I can't imagine they don't all freeze to death with what they wear....Probably why they are still hunting by 8:30 and I am in the stand until it is time for lunch....

Movie quote..."I CANT PUT MY ARMS DOWN!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk