First time using a stand

Core

Having diminishing luck on my still hunting approach, I've now dropped a couple of trail cams and plan on killing from above like a ninja. I would love a nice, light climber but cannot spend so much more money.

So instead I spent $40 on a comfort zone, plus another $50 on three climbing sticks. I took this out for the first time yesterday and it was nothing short of a huge PITA. This is probably in part due to my free climbing harness which was quite an epic bother to use (but I did--and will--continue to use it). The stand is 15 lbs, the sticks are 12. But I also have a backpack with a bow attached to it.

The weight carrying this stuff in was only moderately annoying, though having no hands free sucked. But, dang, just putting in the sticks then the stand and all that--and having to leave the stand there (not taking that down at the end of the day) all conspired to just really be annoying. I wish I had just brought my 4 lb stool and sat off the trail.

So now I'm thinking of getting the $100 dicks climbing stand (sell the other stuff). That bad boy is 32 lbs, but I figure I can strap it to my back and my backpack to that so at least I have hands free. Plus, it can't get stolen. I know it only works on smooth trees.

Is setting up a climbing stand faster and easier than a stick + hang on? I have to assume it's far less of a bother, and despite its weight is far more portable as well. With the climber I hang it at ground level with two straps total, then I strap myself in, and get to work with my backpack on.

If I move my hang on stand I have three buckles total for the sticks, a couple for the stand, plus actually hanging it absolutely requires that I lean back against my safety harness, which I got used to quickly but still rather don't like the notion of it. Then I've got the sticks and/or stand over my back as I'm putting them in, it seems like such a bother.

Edited by Core

Its all about practice and getting the right type of climbing sticks really. If you are using one of the climbing sticks that turns into basically one piece, it can be a bit more difficult, and not as versatile as the sticks that are separate. I know guys that have the right stick and hang on combo that they will get into a tree faster and more quietly than the vast majority of people that use climbers. Its all about having the right gear and knowing how to use it.

• Like 1

A lot of people insist that Deer have seemingly magical memory, though, and can pick anything out of the environment that wasn't there before ;)

Yes and no if you just pop it up in the middle of a vacant field or right on top of a trail then yes you will be picked out everytime.  If you setup 20 yards from their travel corridor or just inside a field edge you will likely not have a problem.

The same goes for still hunting you can't be right on top of them expecting to be able to move/draw your bow.

Climbers have the advantage of being easily relocated.  I have many times hunted a spot till 10 or 11, watched deer all morning crossing the hill 75 yds away, and moved over to get closer to the trail they used that day.  Have tried sticks and hang ons, never moved the stand once I set it up, just put several on them in place and carried the sticks from location to location.  Not as easy, IMO, as a climber, but works.  32 lbs for a climber is pretty heavy, not sure I'd want to lug that too far.  I have an older model API, ~19 lbs

I also prefer to be up a tree 20-25 ft than in a blind, but that's just my preference.  I only use my blind if there isn't a tree I can climb where I want to hunt

I would go for a self climber over the sticks and stand combo.  They're light, don't make much noise anymore, and you can backpack them in or out and change your spot if you need to quickly. I've used the on Long Island and upstate with no problems. Take a look in the classifieds, maybe some one is selling one.

Its all about practice and getting the right type of climbing sticks really. If you are using one of the climbing sticks that turns into basically one piece, it can be a bit more difficult, and not as versatile as the sticks that are separate. I know guys that have the right stick and hang on combo that they will get into a tree faster and more quietly than the vast majority of people that use climbers. Its all about having the right gear and knowing how to use it.

The first time trying this was at my site, so it was slower than it should be.

Some guy on youtube can go from ground to sitting in his hang-on stand in five minutes, but I wonder what the average is? 10? It took me probably 25 minutes, though I could do it faster even now on the second time.

• Like 2

The first time trying this was at my site, so it was slower than it should be.

Some guy on youtube can go from ground to sitting in his hang-on stand in five minutes, but I wonder what the average is? 10? It took me probably 25 minutes, though I could do it faster even now on the second time.

It all depends on how much you practice it.

don't worry too much about how long it takes to set up, worry that you set it up right.  If you walk in for 45 minutes, and plan to hunt 11 hours, then what difference will an extra 5-10 min make?  Have shot lots of deer from a tree stand, never shot one while falling out of it :)  Just leave 10 min earlier, and post the pic of what you shoot

• Like 4

Yeah, I had a 32lbs climber that I bought when I was first starting out shooting from a stand.  I got it cheap, I think like $80 because it was so damn heavy.   I still have it, but I carry it in on opening day and carry it out when the season is over.   It's just too damn heavy for daily carry-in and carry-out.   I don't like to be all super sweaty from carrying it, and then extra tired from climbing it.   Not a good way to start the hunting day, all sore and wet.

When I'm not there it's padlocked to the base of the tree and covered in leaves.   If someone steals it, well I got my use out of it and good luck carrying it out, hope you don't trip and break something :)   I did have a bear chew up the seat a little, but it's still usable.

Sometimes I'll relocate it a bit to a better lane, but it generally stays in the woods.

I did wise up and buy a lightweight climber.  It's not as comfortable for sure, but it's 14lbs and small, so I carry it everywhere no problem.   Yeah it did cost me close to four bills, but it was worth it for the utility I got from it.   I can't imagine lugging my old heavy stand to some of the prime spots I used my Lone Wolf in.

• Like 1

Yeah, I had a 32lbs climber that I bought when I was first starting out shooting from a stand.  I got it cheap, I think like $80 because it was so damn heavy.   I still have it, but I carry it in on opening day and carry it out when the season is over.   It's just too damn heavy for daily carry-in and carry-out.   I don't like to be all super sweaty from carrying it, and then extra tired from climbing it.   Not a good way to start the hunting day, all sore and wet.

When I'm not there it's padlocked to the base of the tree and covered in leaves.   If someone steals it, well I got my use out of it and good luck carrying it out, hope you don't trip and break something :)   I did have a bear chew up the seat a little, but it's still usable.

Sometimes I'll relocate it a bit to a better lane, but it generally stays in the woods.

I did wise up and buy a lightweight climber.  It's not as comfortable for sure, but it's 14lbs and small, so I carry it everywhere no problem.   Yeah it did cost me close to four bills, but it was worth it for the utility I got from it.   I can't imagine lugging my old heavy stand to some of the prime spots I used my Lone Wolf in.

That is just crazy expensive, but yeah the lone wolf super light climber looks really, really nice. Also, all the fiddling around with cables and nonsense seems to take place on the ground, not 15' up a tree leaning back standing on a small step.

I will give my hanging + sticks another go since I do own them, but am looking at climbers. I think maybe the 32 lb ones are just too heavy to take seriously.

Edited by Core

With stack-together sticks and a hang-on I can be in a tree with a nocked arrow in well under 5 minutes.

Then again; I weigh 140#, I used to climb trees for a living, and I've practiced setting up that rig numerous times before the season. I've set it up hundreds of times over the years and I can do it without a sound.

15 feet of sticks and the hang-on stand comes to about 18#. Nobody even sells them that light-weight any more. Thank the lawyers for that.

My in-tree chainsaw weighs almost that much and that's normally a one-handed operation.

A tree-stand, or a ground blind, is part of the equipment that needs to be mastered. Just like the bow or the gun.

Wait until you get into canoes and hip waders to go after the swamp bucks, and have to worry about survival gear.

Edited by philoshop

With stack-together sticks and a hang-on I can be in a tree with a nocked arrow in well under 5 minutes.

Then again; I weigh 140#, I used to climb trees for a living, and I've practiced setting up that rig numerous times before the season. I've set it up hundreds of times over the years and I can do it without a sound.

15 feet of sticks and the hang-on stand comes to about 18#. Nobody even sells them that light-weight any more. Thank the lawyers for that.

My in-tree chainsaw weighs almost that much and that's normally a one-handed operation.

A tree-stand, or a ground blind, is part of the equipment that needs to be mastered. Just like the bow or the gun.

Wait until you get into canoes and hip waders to go after the swamp bucks, and have to worry about survival gear.

You're right about weight. If I'm not mistaken lone wolf hang on for 11 lbs or so plus 4 sticks at 2.5 lbs/piece means 21 lbs minimum for a hang on setup.

I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the Summit Viper SD climbing stand. Right now at gander mountain there is a $50 e-certificate plus through today only $50 off online orders on their site at $250+. This puts me at $281 out the door incl. tax but with a $50 GC I'm right at $230 for a 20 lb climber. I get the impression that spending $120 more on that than the $99 32 pounder is probably worth it.

The alternative is to leave my hang on in various spots on state land. It's only $40, but it will never be mobile at the combined weight of 26 lbs and more than that just super awkward to move around.

The most important thing is to be comfortable and confident with what you use.

There are a lot of things involved when you hunt . Especially with a bow.

You have to be confident with everything that you do leading up to the moment of truth. The stand or blind is but a choice along the way.

• Like 1

The most important thing is to be comfortable and confident with what you use.

There are a lot of things involved when you hunt . Especially with a bow.

You have to be confident with everything that you do leading up to the moment of truth. The stand or blind is but a choice along the way.

I think so as well. If one word would describe my first experience with the stand confident would certainly not be it. I think more practice is important. I consider myself spry but I just found the entire process super fiddly and awkward the first time out.

That said, tonight I basically stole a Summit Viper SD from Gander mountain for $215 out the door after taxes (until tomorrow $50 off on this stand, and through today $50 off any order over $250). That's 20 lbs total weight, and many people say they find it so comfortable they could fall asleep in them. Online, some people swear by the lone wolf hang ons and sticks, which will run about 24 lbs and $350 or so, but are not limited to certain trees as a climber is. But, they also won't be as comfortable. 

I doubt I take this thing out of the box until I try the other setup again on Saturday. If my stand is already stolen (I doubt it will be), the decision will be a particularly easy one :)

I bet you will really like that Summit climber. I love mine and can get set up silently in less than 5 minutes. That Dicks comfort zone climber is a death trap. I had the bottom platform fall out from under my feet when I was 25ft up in a tree as the cable broke. I then upgraded to the Summit and couldnt be happier. I now no longer buy any of the cheap Dicks stands except for their ladders. The more expensive stands ie. Summit are much lighter, engineered better, and are just so much nicer and safer to use

^^ ditto!! 15+' up in a tree, on a breezy or windy day...a cheapo climber won't appear to be such a bargain.

Used Summit climbers can sometimes be gotten on Craigslist during the spring or summer months for about $1/2 of a new one. May be the older, steel construction which are maybe 5# heavier than the newer alum ones. Those damned old steel Vipers are literally indestructible!

I preFer the sticks and hang on to a climber any day, buy. Aluminum! I have 2 climbers haven't used them in 15 years or more, I now have 35 hangonand various sticks, much more versitile crooked limb trees, and trees to big for climber.

I assume you have semi-private land. I think if you own the land the ideal is either a ladder stand or a climber with screw-ins, because those things are super cheap and super light, and just leave them up by the stand (I know they can occasionally pop out of a tree, but that's what the harness is for).

I found something even lighter than any hang-on at 6 lbs: http://www.aerohunter.us/Not interested in going that route but I guess it has some benefits.

You're right about weight. If I'm not mistaken lone wolf hang on for 11 lbs or so plus 4 sticks at 2.5 lbs/piece means 21 lbs minimum for a hang on setup.

I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the Summit Viper SD climbing stand. Right now at gander mountain there is a $50 e-certificate plus through today only $50 off online orders on their site at $250+. This puts me at $281 out the door incl. tax but with a $50 GC I'm right at $230 for a 20 lb climber. I get the impression that spending $120 more on that than the $99 32 pounder is probably worth it.

The alternative is to leave my hang on in various spots on state land. It's only $40, but it will never be mobile at the combined weight of 26 lbs and more than that just super awkward to move around.

I saw something about an X stand they are supposed to be the lightest climber in the industry. I think they are around the same price as the summit.

Here is the link to the stand.

https://x-stand.com/product/the-x-1/

Here is the link to their site.

https://x-stand.com/

Edited by chas0218